Full Version: $70,000
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
dw914er
alot of money...

but that car is NICE!!!

wish i was uber rich lol
JoeSharp
All of this just reflects the incresed value of our cars.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=802652
tat2dphreak
All of this just reflects the incresed value of our cars.

ohmy.gif biggrin.gif drunk.gif av-943.gif
Gunther
WOW Sweet looking car. wub.gif
For a couple of dollars more and they could have finished the roll cage and driven it in NASA GTS.

$70,000?
$35,000 in parts + 350 hours at $100p/h = $70,000
Yea... sound about right.

And silly me, I rebuilt and sold this for $15,000. lol-2.gif
What the hell did I do wrong :headbang. headbang.gif

Click to view attachment
charliew
How many minnesota cars that look like that are good? that car has one too many zeros in it's asking price.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=802652
EdwardBlume
Yes, you'd spend more to build it.
Yes, most people won't have anything close to this nice.
Yes, if I had $70K burning a hole in my pocket AND I wanted a race / show car...

But, it better be BLAZINGLY fast, and competitive, like TTOD fast for the $$$.

Otherwise, its like having a trophy wife smilie_pokal.gif along with errectile dysfunction.. confused24.gif
Gunther
QUOTE(charliew @ Jun 19 2009, 06:08 PM) *

How many minnesota cars that look like that are good? that car has one too many zeros in it's asking price.

Charliew, if you find a car like that for 7k Give me a call, I'll buy them all day long. biggrin.gif
rjames
If someone has 70k to spend on that car, they probably have plenty of $ and are not too worried about the resale value, methinks. Besides, does anyone get into racing while simultaneously thinking about resale value?

Regardless, looks like the add has already been pulled.
iamchappy
QUOTE(charliew @ Jun 19 2009, 05:08 PM) *

None i know of, that one is just up the street from me.

Mine now is a complete different story.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Gunther @ Jun 18 2009, 10:09 AM) *

$35,000 in parts + 350 hours at $100p/h = $70,000

Probably more like 700 hours.
We just put 150 hours into a 3.6 conversion car that was "almost finished" when we took over. And we could have put another 50 into it I'm sure, but the owner "needed" it for his wedding.
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(RobW @ Jun 19 2009, 05:03 PM) *

Otherwise, its like having a trophy wife smilie_pokal.gif along with errectile dysfunction.. confused24.gif

That may be the funniest thing I've heard this week av-943.gif
rascobo
lol-2.gif
This thread is a good example of a fundemental split in Our nature;

the Logical - who are always weighing what they can get out of the things they possess, and see no sense in investing a penny more,

the Passionate - who are always thinking of how to improve the items in their care, sometimes to detriment of life's other necessities.

doubt we'll will ever really understand each other, and that cool as long as We're all driving 914's and You pull to the right when I flash My lights.
Porsche Rescue
For those intrested I promised to post some pics taken shortly after the car was completed. GT in first pic is also owned by the same guy.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
neo914-6
not sure if the original CL ad had the current info:

This Porsche 914-6 is a pure sports car from end to end.

This car was built with no expense spared. The nationally well know Porsche Tuner and Race shop Rothsport built this car for a local collector.

It was a complete tub up build to the highest standards.

The heart of this 914 is a 3.8 RS spec 911 engine

Over 120K was spent in building the one of a kind 914.

This seriously custom 1973 Porsche 914 exhibits an amazing build. It is in perfect condition from top to bottom, is powered by a modern 3.8L flat six, and looks aggressive with the cut down windshield fairing and GT flares.

This car is a study in perfect wheel/tire/stance combination. The flares, Fuchs, and Hoosier race rubber are all just right, and the car looks even lower and wider with the windshield frame removed. Orange is the right color for the factory GT cars, and it works well here to an large custom exhaust is snaked beneath the rear bumper to keep the rumble somewhat limited, and the photo from directly behind shows a ridiculous amount of rubber. Inside a custom cage is nicely integrated and Recaro buckets hold driver and passenger in place.

The engine engine cover tilts out of the way and makes for easy access to the later Porsche engine. The chassis is stiffened to help reduce flex, and the interior paint looks almost as clean as the exterior surfaces. No need to store the targa top on this model!

The 3.8 RS motor was transformed from a late model VarioCam 993 engine and is producing 329 hp and 279 pounds of trq at 6600 RPM.

The transmission is a 915 with lots of upgrades including WEVO shifter. Inside it is a GT Limited Slip Diff, with custom gearing to get the most of this car.

To stop this car it has factory 930 brake calipers and drilled 930 rotors. The factory wheels were retained but widened to fit the 225/55/15 fronts and 245/50/15 rears Hoosier R3S04 Dot Slicks.

No expense was spared anywhere and I have the reciepts to prove it. This is a true one of a kind Porsche, and not for the weak of heart! This is one of the finest driving cars that I have ever driven. Anyone looking for something really special for their garage will find this car a real jewel, and not to be ever out done by another 914.

Please call or stop by to see this car in person. Call 503 305 8011

www.speedsports.net

love the innovation...
brant
Thats a beautiful car no doubt
and I'll bet it has more than the asking price invested into it

like mentioned above, we are all motivated differently
so these are only my opinions
so many cool cars get built that have no real home:

-this car would be tough to use and impractical as a street car
(no roof/windshield)

-it would be outgunned in PCA club racing
(against 3.8liter water cooled GT3 supercups.... that have better suspension. A friend had a PCA race car with a 3.3L that put out more horse power. The PCA rule books predict HP for displacement and class/expect 110hp/liter for an air cooled -6. So 418 hp to be competetive with a 3.8l motor)

-it would be too heavy and not legal for SCCA roadracing, plus outgunned
(needs much more tire to be a true competetive race car, probably would run against 600hp open class cars.)

-it would not be legal in a vintage club due to its engine/trans/build
(and many clubs wouldn't allow that chassis year either)

as a racecar you would either have to cut the fenders, or change the drivetrain... perhaps a combination of both.

So often I feel like going back to "read the rule book"

it obviously was built to match the "dream vision" of its owner
it is beautiful... I'll bet it hit that dream 100% on the mark
but its not a race car in true wheel to wheel venues

it has no practical place to fit in.
maybe a really expensive drivers education car...
(out spend the other fish in a small pond?)
although I don't think the roll hoop would pass tech.

its a museum piece that would be embarrased in a competetive venue
or its a wonderfully fabricated street car
it's niche' is to someone with the same "dream-vision"

boy it is sure pretty though
and a real testament to the build-shops skills!
brant
Porsche Rescue
Not to be picky, but it is (was) a '74. I once owned the roller before selling it to Craig at Camp 914 who sold it to the fellow who had it built by Rothsport.
BKLA
Yes, it would prolly get its butt kicked on the track...

and... yes, it doesn't "fit" into any reasonable racing class or category...

and... yes, it isn't practical for general street use on a daily basis....

But I don't think the owner had any specific racing class in mind. It is a high quality, limited use street car with track day ambitions. Built with an aesthetic towards the mid '70's ginther and brumos inspired race cars - with the most current, normally aspirated, air cooled powerplant - built by one of the best porsche mechanics in the US.

If I had $70k of disposable cash.... I'd buy it in a heartbeat! It is EXACTLY my dream 914 .... even in rainy day Oregon!
URY914
Call it "Art".
brant
QUOTE(URY914 @ Sep 24 2009, 12:57 PM) *

Call it "Art".

it is pretty...

again everybody has their own priorities
I'd spend 70K on different "art" (maybe a caymen, or a pantera, or a ZO6)
(even though, I know I will never be in a position to spend that kind of money on art)
BKLA
QUOTE(URY914 @ Sep 24 2009, 11:57 AM) *

Call it "Art".

Yes, it is.... biggrin.gif wub.gif
turboman808
I think it's great to see these cars will probably hold some value in the future.

I kinda get annoyed when people think I spent 10k on my car. By the time I finally have it the exact way I want it I imagine I will have close to 100 grand into the car. Right now just enjoying driving it.
Ferg
QUOTE(Porsche Rescue @ Sep 24 2009, 09:47 AM) *

Not to be picky, but it is (was) a '74. I once owned the roller before selling it to Craig at Camp 914 who sold it to the fellow who had it built by Rothsport.

whew, for a moment, I thought that this might have been your old phoenix red car from the first WCC.
Porsche Rescue
You're half right Mike. I bought it in pieces as an unfinished project. It was a rust free light ivory 2.0. All I wanted was the engine which had been professionally rebuilt 10 years earlier and never installed. My low-mile tangerine car which you remember came to me with a blown engine. I used the engine and sold the roller with interior and bumpers to Craig. It was a very nice car and could (should) have been restored to stock easily.

Here is the 2.0 that went into the orange car.
Click to view attachment

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.