Pages: 1, 2
championgt1
Not much else to say. Check this out.

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/ctd/1223837719.html
Pat Garvey
I'll say 4 things about this car:
1. Really nicely done - gorgeous!
2. Unusable
3. Bogus as they can get - try re-selling it!
4. Not worth a quarter of the price - GOOD LUCK!
drgchapman
I believe that car is Porsche Rescue's old car that he sold to Paige Stephens here in Portland. The car subsequently underwent a transformation at Rothsport here in Tualatin to the animal it is now. I think it has a 3.6 in it, Jeff had to build the bulge for the intake clearance on the engine lid. Signature exhaust.

Porsche Rescue should know a little more.

Very cool car, worth every penny, super class build. Good Luck on the price!
RiqueMar
Soooo, I can either buy this custom 914 that I could never sell again, or I can buy an older (although newer than this car) Ferrari.... hmmmmm.

This would be SUCH a nice 914 if it was not cut up.

What's with the headlights? ::edit:: I mean, I understand it's a delete, but you can see the outline?
biosurfer1
There's only one 914 I might consider paying $70k for, and I would really have to think about it at that price
URY914
Pricing a full custom car is tough.

But PLEASE let's not rag on someone car that he is trying to sell. This happens way too much here.
lotus_65
this is a lame thread

http://www.speedsports.net/vehicle-details.php?show=254

oops. now it's better.

3.8l, but they could by lying.
lotus_65
QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Jun 16 2009, 09:59 PM) *

Soooo, I can either buy this custom 914 that I could never sell again, or I can buy an older (although newer than this car) Ferrari.... hmmmmm.

What's with the headlights? ::edit:: I mean, I understand it's a delete, but you can see the outline?

good grief. by that logic, they should have shaved the bumper tops smooth to the bumper. that's nonsense, it's an homage. i think life's too short to waste time ragging on craftsmanship i wouldn't choose to do.

the only problem i see is euro lenses in front, u.s. in back.

outside of that, it looks fricken' hot.
porschecb
popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif
RiqueMar
QUOTE(lotus_65 @ Jun 16 2009, 08:39 PM) *

QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Jun 16 2009, 09:59 PM) *

good grief. by that logic, they should have shaved the bumper tops smooth to the bumper. that's nonsense, it's an homage. i think life's too short to waste time ragging on craftsmanship i wouldn't choose to do.

the only problem i see is euro lenses in front, u.s. in back.

Take it as you will, but it's just my opinion. And if someone puts it out there to be sold, and advertises it as such, I believe criticism is valid.
championgt1

[/quote]

agree.gif It is stunning. wub.gif
EdwardBlume
agree.gif

Probably can't be built for that! Priced to attract a REAL $50K buyer likely.
Lou W
Nice looking car, I hope he gets it. smile.gif
KELTY360
wub.gif Some serious creativity shown there. Workmanship looks top notch. I love the front opening rear trunk.

Pat is secretly lusting after it. poke.gif
porschecb
No Ebay! No details! just pictures! How do I hate Craigs List! Let me count the ways! sheeplove.gif shades.gif
Rand
No denying it is a millionth-percentile 914. But the price is insane. If it sells, it will reveal a buyer who has tons of money and fell in lust with it. Simple as that.
It's too much money for a 914.
But if you have too much money and fall in love with THAT car, then who can argue over the price?
(besides me. haha.)
john rogers
To be able to race it you would need to finish the cage and put in a fuel cell as I doubt it does not have one and a fire system. PCA and POC would let it in with the monster engine as they have classes for that sort of thing. I would probably want to delete the turn signal stalk as it will for sure get in the way and also make the steering wheel removable. After those it would make a monster of a track car and probably scare the hell out of most drivers, especially hose that have commented so far!?

As for the price, there are about 6 shops I know of that would charge 70K to 90K to build a legal 914 race car so it would not be out of line for the costs.
Joe Ricard
one lapping day and thay beautiful paint would be toast.

I would build an addition on to my house and park put it on display.

Ferris Bueller style.
carr914
QUOTE(URY914 @ Jun 16 2009, 11:13 PM) *

Pricing a full custom car is tough.

But PLEASE let's not rag on someone car that he is trying to sell. This happens way too much here.

agree.gif And the cheapsmacks around here Should want people to get their price, otherwise the rust-buckets will never be worth anything.

Price it out with just the things you can see. A 915 w/WEVO, a 3.6, the wheels & suspension, the paint, etc.

If you want to go racing, it's not a cheap entry ticket. If you go racing on a low-budget, you're in the weeds or watching people passing you again & again.

There is a saying in HSR racing that if you don't have a $40K engine, you're never going to win.

T.C.

carr914
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Jun 17 2009, 08:01 AM) *

I would build an addition on to my house and park put it on display.

Ferris Bueller style.

That would be Cameron's Dad's house (the Real house is for sale in the Chicago burbs foe $2.3 Mil)

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Great looking- 6 ! I first saw this a few years back at the Ventura Porsche meet... now only if I HAD that kind of $ ...
GeorgeRud
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and this car is beautifully done! I would call it a piece of rolling sculpture, and enjoy the craftsmanship. Is it useable or sellable? That's a very hard question to answer, but you have to admire the craftsmanship that went into the build, and I'm sure that much money was spent on this project.

Anyone that has done a -6 conversion is very scared to actually add up all the receipts. A buddy of mine did a "track" car years ago and had spent over $50,000 without it looking anywhere near as nice as this car.

Good luck to the seller!
6freak

fiberglass hood ..without the headlite area cut out
PRS914-6
The detail work on the car is pretty nice. I look at things such as cable clamps, wiring etc. While those items are not expensive it is a tell-tale of how picky the builder is and being picky cost money.... a lot of money!. A lot of custom detail work went into that car not to mention a 3.8 Vario Ram who's cylinders cost more than most 914's sell for.

While the car is not for me, I can appreciate the time, effort and money invested and I suspect that unless the owner did all the work personally, someone is losing a lot of money even at that price.
Porsche Rescue
Gary has it right. I once owned the car in stock form. A very nice rust free light ivory '74. It was a disassembled roller project which the owner gave up on. Had a fresh 2.0 which I needed for my very low mile tangerine car which some of you may remember. Kept the engine/tranny and sold the car to Craig at Camp. Within a few weeks he answers a "914 wanted" ad and sells to the fellow with the very deep pockets (a collector with a Ford GT 40 and a new Porsche GT!) who had Rothsport create the car as you see it. It is better than the pictures show. Clearly impractical but a work of art. And I have no doubt that cost to construct was more than the asking price.
pcar916
Pretty car and seems like attention to cosmetic detail is excellent... may even be sorted out but without chips and dirt, there's no way to tell if that's been attempted.

If I added my own labor $ to my 993 conversion it would be well over the $70k they want for this car, especially if I add what I did while it was still a 2.7L car. It just wouldn't have been as much fun. I dutifully add my car to the roster at 914 and PCA events knowing that she'll never win the car show. One guy (not a 914 owner) who saw it one time next to some concours 914's and other P-cars remarked that he wouldn't have the audacity to enter a POS like it in a show full of beauties.

Obviously, I had to show him some chips and dings and explain which tracks they came from. Apparently he wanted to see model cars and didn't know the difference in someone who will gladly spend $5-7K on a paint job rather than say, track time, a 915 conversion, or suspension upgrades. I didn't evolve the car over the past 15 years to be a garage queen too delicate to get out in the rain or go scatting around the twisties for a spontaneous run. I want her to be safe, fast and handle like a cart! driving.gif

Lots of us on this forum like to be "one" with the cars we build and that means a lot of blood, sweat, and tears. But it's true that buying someone else's dream is usually cheaper if it's well done.

I have no harsh judgments of those who like garage queens. I love to look at them as well. These cars mean different things to each of us and I wouldn't have it any other way. But I'll think I'll go out and collect a few more chips... right now.

~Ron
Kansas 914
QUOTE(pcar916 @ Jun 17 2009, 10:26 AM) *

Pretty car and seems like attention to cosmetic detail is excellent... may even be sorted out but without chips and dirt, there's no way to tell if that's been attempted.

If I added my own labor $ to my 993 conversion it would be well over the $70k they want for this car, especially if I add what I did while it was still a 2.7L car. It just wouldn't have been as much fun. I dutifully add my car to the roster at 914 and PCA events knowing that she'll never win the car show. One guy (not a 914 owner) who saw it one time next to some concours 914's and other P-cars remarked that he wouldn't have the audacity to enter a POS like it in a show full of beauties.

Obviously, I had to show him some chips and dings and explain which tracks they came from. Apparently he wanted to see model cars and didn't know the difference in someone who will gladly spend $5-7K on a paint job rather than say, track time, a 915 conversion, or suspension upgrades. I didn't evolve the car over the past 15 years to be a garage queen too delicate to get out in the rain or go scatting around the twisties for a spontaneous run. I want her to be safe, fast and handle like a cart! driving.gif

~Ron

It is a gorgeous car!

Very Ritchie Ginter looking - who made quite a name in SCCA Class C Production with his 914/6. It has always been one of my favorites. It could almost be marketed as a "clone"....

I hope he gets his asking price.

Cheers!
Scott S
That thing is TITS. wow.....

I like the way the headlights are ghosted on the hood.

If it has brake lights (and passes emssions) why couldn't you drive it on the street? Here locally you do not have to have a windsheild, just eye protection - like on a motorcycle.

I know I could get that car registered in Colorado - like I have 70k sitting around!! HA lol-2.gif
thompson-mfr
This one is also available in Portland, OR and is a real 914/6 1970 (not sure if this is a members)

It comes with a trailer! and is less than half the cost at 25K

I would trust the value of this rather than a conversion.

That being said I love the quality of the Orange car.

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/ctd/1214839652.html

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
thompson-mfr
One more picture! Paint looks brighter in this one. If this guy sells this I should get a commission. lol-2.gif av-943.gif

Click to view attachment
turboman808
Not sure why someone would rag on this car. Looks like it is done better then 99% of the 914s out there. I wouldn't buy it myself just because I would want something for the street. I would have to say about 50-60k would be the limit on a 914. Then I wold be looking at something thats even faster in the under 100k range.

Someone mentioned getting an older ferrari. After spending last weekend in a 308 no thanks. I think a 914 is a much better car and I bet even some of the 4 cylinder cars are faster.

I'll even go out on a limb here and say ferraris are not that pretty. Show me any ferrari of any era and I can show you something from the same time that is prettier and possibly faster.
tat2dphreak
I think the car is amazing... not my style on a couple things, sure, but the workmanship is top-shelf!

I doubt I'll ever be ABLE to drop 70k on a car... so if he can sell it for that, more power to him...

the color is amazing! I wish I knew what kind of paint that is... perfect color, perfect gloss.
tat2dphreak
I'll even go out on a limb here and say ferraris are not that pretty.

I dunno, I think Ferrarris are sexy looking,.. and I've never gotten to drive one... but you are right, they have never been the fastest car on the road... pretty is subjective tho... most people think the 914 is ugly... but to me... wub.gif
PeeGreen 914
I'm sorry but for those that would choose to rag on this car or the asking price I have to say your car is stupid and why the hell would anyone do what you did poke.gif .

If I had a load of money sitting around and the garage to put it in I would buy this car in a heartbeat. The engine in their +the quality build are worth it. Plus, if I had the money to buy this it would look nice sitting next to my real 914-6gt biggrin.gif .
tat2dphreak
if I had loads of money tho, I'd buy 5 cars I could drive before I bought one that is this kind of 'ornament'
wahip
Click to view attachment

I'd rather have this 914-Deora for half the price. Not as track-worthy for sure, but then I can take the grill, the kegger and 4 chairs to the racetrack!
JoeSharp
If I had a ton of money I would just have Jeff build one for me.
This is the third car that I have liked from Jeff.
horizontally-opposed
This is an incredible car.

Maybe not what I would do, but not far off. If I bought it, I'd have to put a windshield and roof back on the thing, and ditch those PIAA (or whatever...) lights on it.

After that, I wouldn't do much... other than driving.gif

pete
iamchappy
I think the car is really cool, but i would rather have mine and i bet my car is faster....
kconway
QUOTE(wahip @ Jun 17 2009, 10:52 AM) *

Click to view attachment

I'd rather have this 914-Deora for half the price. Not as track-worthy for sure, but then I can take the grill, the kegger and 4 chairs to the racetrack!

Wait a minute...what is this? Is this photoshopped? I think this thing would be a cool second 914 (or whatever you'd call it) for sure.

Ahhh, should have looked at it closer, I see that it is a doctored photo now. I like it.
Porsche Rescue
The yellow six is not worthy of parking beside the orange one. It is a well used race car which shows its age. The orange car is street legal, or could be very easily. I am in Chicago at the moment, but if this thread is still alive when I get home I will ad some pics of the car which I took at a Portland PCA event right after it was finished. It was displayed alongside the owners GT. Creativity and workmanship are beyond excellent. Craigslist pics don't show the way Jeff used BMW hood hinge mechanism to hinge the rear trunk/engine lid at the rear.

By the way, Pete, didn't Excellence do a feature on this car some time back? If not, it is certainly worthy.
Drums66
[quote name='john rogers' date='Jun 16 2009, 11:57 PM' post='1181757']
To be able to race it you would need to finish the cage and put in a fuel cell as I doubt it does not have one and a fire system. PCA and POC would let it in with the monster engine as they have classes for that sort of thing. I would probably want to delete the turn signal stalk as it will for sure get in the way and also make the steering wheel removable. After those it would make a monster of a track car and probably scare the hell out of most drivers, especially hose that have commented so far!?

av-943.gif popcorn[1].gif

Porsche Rescue
Only just noticed the "real" Porsche steering column and ignition switch. Attention to detail is evident.
J P Stein
QUOTE(thompson-mfr @ Jun 17 2009, 11:02 AM) *

One more picture! Paint looks brighter in this one. If this guy sells this I should get a commission. lol-2.gif av-943.gif

Click to view attachment

I drove this car the other day. A friend was thinking of buying it.....dunno what he's gonna do. It was built in Germany back in the 70s.....a real 6. The owner runs vintage with it. It has been races regular like and shows it. That said it is pretty damn good.....tho WAY too stiff for a parking lot. A good buy, me thinks.
It comes with a pee pot fulla spares.
PRS914-6
I would be interested in the opinions of those who know values.....Once a "6" gets modified to that extreme does it really matter if it's a /6 or not? It would seem to me that the true value in a /6 would be it's originality and once converted to a race car (or extremely modified) the value would be significantly diminished.
J P Stein
QUOTE(turboman808 @ Jun 17 2009, 11:11 AM) *

I'll even go out on a limb here and say ferraris are not that pretty. Show me any ferrari of any era and I can show you something from the same time that is prettier and possibly faster.

Really?
Even Paige Stevens couldn't afford this one.....tho IIRC, he has an Enzo.
You may find something faster & prettier from 1957 but nothing sounds sweeter than one of these driven in anger. You gotta be old to have heard that.
Porsche Rescue
QUOTE(PRS914-6 @ Jun 17 2009, 04:22 PM) *

I would be interested in the opinions of those who know values.....Once a "6" gets modified to that extreme does it really matter if it's a /6 or not? It would seem to me that the true value in a /6 would be it's originality and once converted to a race car (or extremely modified) the value would be significantly diminished.

I have owned several factory sixes and one conversion. Not an expert on value, but have a strong opinion. Long term value is originality of a factory six. I suppose a car modified to a very "correct" factory GT clone would maintain value.
The yellow car has value as a race car. However a four converted to the same specs and quality of preparation would have the same value. The "original six" component of the yellow track car is long gone.

The "70K" orange car is worth far more, if you want such a car, as almost any original six. I would think only the big buck GT's are worth more.
J P Stein
QUOTE(PRS914-6 @ Jun 17 2009, 05:22 PM) *

+1
It matters to some folks. I'm not one of those either.
iamchappy
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Jun 17 2009, 07:46 PM) *

QUOTE(PRS914-6 @ Jun 17 2009, 05:22 PM) *

+1
It matters to some folks. I'm not one of those either.

agree.gif I quote your quote " " Your quote " "
degreeoff
I love it! The only change I would do (would have) is to tie the bar into the rear frame for support. Hell I REALLY love it! makes me think mine may be worth sumthin over 25k....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.