Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: group buy accelerator pedal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
don9146
I am just curious if anyone else had a problem with the ball fitting into the cup when you tried to attach the accelerator pedal? I have tried putting a little silicone lube on the cup, but it still hasn't worked. Any other ideas to try?

Thanks,
Don
TheCabinetmaker
Don, I get a tight one every now and then(cable end that is) laugh.gif , I use a good amount of saliva and smack it hard with my fist. Works every time. Assuming the ball is the right size. They need to be tight to hold in place.
larryp
Nah uh. I removed the rod, put it in the vise and laid the plastic thingie over it. And whaled on it with a mallet. Nothing. Not a fucking thing. All I did was bend the throttle rod

I finally cut the cup out of my old pedal and bolted THAT to the new one. Worked like a charm.
TheCabinetmaker
Sorry guys, I misread the title as cable, not pedal.
echocanyons
Could we get a list of those who are having problems on this thread?

I could call the vendor and see if he has a solution, I know that they were working on one.
SirAndy
QUOTE(don9146 @ Mar 5 2004, 04:50 AM)
Any other ideas to try?

heat it up (the plastic part that is) using a blow-dryer.

that'll make the plastic a bit more flexible.
lube up the ball good and then pound it in.

if you don't heat it up, you have a good chance of cracking the plastic ...
Andy
echocanyons
Maybe heat the plastic and freeze the ball/rod
StratPlayer
Yep,,, mechanic broke the plastic piece, got a new one on the way,, if this doesn't work I'm gonna do what larryp did. I thought about trying that, glad someone did it and it works. Thought about putting a dremel to the plastic piece and see if I couldn't enlarge that hole just enought to get the ball in there tight.
StratPlayer
xx
JmuRiz
I have had trouble trying to get mine attached also. I could try the heating trick...if that doesn't work, who knows what I'll try next.
McMark
Chris R. had the same problem on Monday here at the shop and when we looked closely at the plastic piece we noticed that the hole is completely the wrong size so you'll never get it to pop in and stay there. In other words, the plastic piece you all got is garbage.
jfort
damn I am glad you guys posted this information. I was going to do the installation tomorrow. Now I don't know what to do.
don9146
I tried again. I heated the plastic, lubed the cup, and tapped the rod with a plastic hammer. Now I have a broken cup. headbang.gif
Who do I need to contact about getting another plastic piece for the back of the pedal? The old one is now useless.
echocanyons
1-949-494-3281
Talk with Mike

Let him know that you were part of the 914club deal.

Let me know if there are any problems, I still have the reciept for the whole deal, and also the info on your particular purchase.

I am probably going to remove the plastic part and adapt the stock part from my stock pedal, I will work on this tomorrow.

sorry bout the preoblems
echocanyons
bdtwocars((((((((((@)))))))))hotmail((((((((dot))))))))com

is his email
Howard
Tried mine on 2 different cars. Would not fit either. Did manage to bend pedal a bit using vise. If there's a quick and easy fix, I'll try it, but other than that they stay in the box.
Freedom
that is a sexy pedal!!!...

i need a new one, if we are going to do this, but the base of the pedal is broken on mine so it sways like a fat guy on the dance floor!.. laugh.gif
ChrisReale
smash.gif I broke mine trying to get it to fit.
don9146
>>1-949-494-3281
>>Talk with Mike
>>
>>Let him know that you were part of the 914club deal.
>>
>>Let me know if there are any problems, I still have the reciept for the whole deal, >>and also the info on your particular purchase.
>>
>>I am probably going to remove the plastic part and adapt the stock part from my >>stock pedal, I will work on this tomorrow.
>>
>>sorry bout the preoblems

I appreciate the help. Its definitely not your fault. Hell, I appreciate someone taking the time to put the group deal together for zero money and still trying to help everyone involved with their problems even though you have no ties to the company. beer.gif
I am hoping for an amecable resolution to the situation, but if there are this many people on the board with the same problem, the company is probably aware of the issue and I will have "limited success" dealing with him headbang.gif . I WILL give the benefit of the doubt and I'll let the board know what happens when I get in touch with Mike.

Later,
Don
Van914
Why not sand the ball stud down? It may work.
Van914

smash.gif
Ferg
think i was the first or second guy that broke his, he sent me a new piece but it looks too tight as well. I went to the hardware store bought some assorted plumbing clamps, and lucked out that one had the same bolt pattern to thread right to the pedal. No pic's yet and no test drive yet, but if feel it will be a better solution. I will try to explain what I did.
I bought a plumbing pipe clamp that has two sides or halfs 12 oclock and 6. One side has a threaded hole at 3 oclock. Took that side and the parts that would bring clamp together mount perfectly with corresponding holes in pedal, had to buy longer allen bolts to mount though. So if you can imagine looking at the pedal from the side, where the black piece would have stuck out the back, now a half moon sticks out.
I took the rod out, fashioned a little rubber grommet for the ball end and stuck the rod throught the pipe clamp so now the ball end is positioned between the pedal and inside the half of the pipe clamp with the shaft sticking through the hole I mentioned at 3 oclock. The shaft has just as much movement,and vitural mesurments stay the same. I know this sounds crazy and is hard to visulize, and i have not test drove yet, bad weather. but seems much stronder (all steel) and better than the plastic bit...
I promise pictures soon.
Ferg.
Ferg
update:
just drove the car for 20 min... first time in over two months. my hack solution above seems to work good, but another problem has surfaced. The old stock rubber pedal, seemed like it was designed in a way that the rubber in the base also acted as sort of a return spring, and helped the pedal back when you took your foot off the gas, this new one without the rubber resistance is more likley to stick, and idle high...
A couple of times when I let off it would not come back all the way and the car would idle at about 1500., and it was noticable slower to decell between shifts.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Ferg @ Mar 6 2004, 09:52 AM)
A couple of times when I let off it would not come back all the way and the car would idle at about 1500., and it was noticable slower to decell between shifts.

make sure your pedal cluster is in good (clean & greased) shape.
add a second throttle-return spring on the engine side of things.

that should take care of the sticking pedal ...
Andy
McMark
agree.gif
The pedal is not part of the proper operation of the throttle control system.
StratPlayer
I finally cut the cup out of my old pedal and bolted THAT to the new one. Worked like a charm

larryp, are you having trouble with your pedal returning to normal, does it stick?
SirAndy
QUOTE(larryp @ Mar 5 2004, 05:50 AM)
I finally cut the cup out of my old pedal and bolted THAT to the new one. Worked like a charm.

that sounds like a perfect solution to the problem smilie_pokal.gif
jonwatts
It does, unless you have a perfectly good accelerator pedal you don't want to butcher.

What we need is someone with a supply of crapped out go-pedals that we can cannibalize. Most of them fail at the bottom joint, not at the ball-cup.

Anyone at HPH listening?
echocanyons
I dont see how the plastic cup would work at all.

I have used the stock pedal cup attached to the beck of the pedal

there is about 2-2.5 inches of pedal travel on both he stock setup and the setup using the stock pedal cup and the alum. pedal

I cannot run it cuz bith my cars are non-op

I need to attach the stock cup better so it doesnt move
echocanyons
here is a pic
echocanyons
So is pent some more time affixing the stock cup to the alum pedal.

I cut the stock pedal down more and trimmed a recess in the back to fit in the aluminum pedals roundish- square area, I will be using two allen screws and lock nuts to keep them attached.

I moved the cup up about an inch to keep it the same as the stock position
echocanyons
nother
TimT
So I paid 70 something bucks for a part that doesnt work......

Im getting real tired of hearing

"well its a racing part so you have to modify it to work"

Someone programmed a mill to cut that nice looking pedal, couldnt they complete the job and make it receive the accelerator pushrod without any headaches?

Hank at GT racing really gets me worked up... Id love to have him come to my place and "well they just fit on" put on my flares...

It sucks that some of these manufacturer only go 7/8's through development... before they release a product..

can you tell this gets me worked up?

beerchug.gif
echocanyons
another
echocanyons
two more
echocanyons
last one
echocanyons
it might look like hell but at least it works...

I agree Tim it seems as though it was not thought out well.

I wonder if the source for these is the same source that AJ-USA and the other vendors use. Or if this was a CNC knock off
TimT
Maybe we should send them all back, and request a refund... we will do the manufacturer the favor of buying the product when they get it right?
echocanyons
I have contacted Mike by email and will be calling him monday.

I am asking for a solution or refund for those who wish.

sorry about all the trouble
TimT
source that AJ-USA and the other vendors use

Look identical to the AJ unit.. could be a knock off.. a customers car in my firends shop has th AJ pedals... same plastic block in the back....Ill sneak a peak at the pedal next time the car is in the shop..
jonwatts
QUOTE(echocanyons @ Mar 6 2004, 04:04 PM)
I have contacted Mike by email and will be calling him monday.

I am asking for a solution or refund for those who wish.

sorry about all the trouble

Not your fault, thanks for handling the purchase in the first place.

I'm interested in a correct replacement piece or a refund. I'm not going to cut up my good accelerator pedal to make up for a mistake.
don9146
>I have contacted Mike by email and will be calling him monday.
>
>I am asking for a solution or refund for those who wish.
>
>
>sorry about all the trouble

I won't contact Mike now since you already made the first move to get in touch with him. I will if you don't have any luck, though. Maybe you could point him towards this message thread to show him how many people are haveing problems.

Later,
Don
larryp
Yes, mine "returns" fine; I agree, the pedal is simply not part of a functioning throttle spring system.

It does not "look like hell" since the bodge part is beneath the pedal! I suppose a mouse could see it.

I agree too that this is not the way it should be, but then, nothing else on my car has been a "bolt in" so why should this be any different?
IronHillRestorations
I'm fairly certain the original style 914 accel pedal is NLA (anyone please correct me if I'm wrong), so I would be reluctant to hack a good pedal up to make something that is supposed to work, work.

We compared the a new style all plastic 911 pedal (which can be easily modified to work on a 914) with the machined aluminum pedal (Don9146's part), and there wasn't any problem getting the push rod into the new style 911 pedal. The aluminum, no way. Someone hasn't done the homework on this. It looks very cool though.

Quote from aftermarket parts supplier whose part doesn't fit right "We can make it right just as easy as we can make it wrong", four years later they are still making it wrong!

PK cool.gif
Brad Roberts
I just read through this.. what a PAIN IN THE F-ING ASS.

I thought the pedal looked cool... but I have yet to have a OE fail me on the track or street.

I have to agree with PK on this one.. DO NOT cut up your OE pedal unless the hindge at the bottom is completely rusted out and flopping around.

Gotta love group buy's.. it really sucks when they turn into a group F-ing.

B
echocanyons
The biggest point is they should have fit in the first place.

I have spoken with Mike and he is contacting the manufacturer for a functional replacement for the throttle mount.

I will post when I have more info.
echocanyons
Apparently they updated the design on the backing recently.

It sound like they are now using a soft plastic piece instead of hard plastic.

We WILL be getting the appropriate replacement for these soon.

What I need from the people who ordered is to please look at your peice and PM me if the plastic part is hard or soft.
bernbomb914
unfortuntialy it is the only thing that is HARD!!!!

Bernie pissoff.gif spank.gif
Mark Henry
Man I thought I was getting screwed up the bootyshake.gif when I got my OE pedal for $125 Canadian!

Guess it was a fair deal seeing as it took me only 2 min. to replace it.

smile.gif
JmuRiz
echocanyons:

I bought my pedals from AJUSA (same exact part) about 1 month before the group buy started. I also have the hard backing on my accel pedal, and can not get the rod into the pedal's cup. Is there any way I can get a soft backing peice for my pedal (MUCH better than hacking up my old stock pedal)? Just let me know and we'll take it from there, thanks!
TimT
Mine is hard laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.