Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: wheel filler prior to painting; what to use
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tod914
I just had a set of Mahles soda blasted. There is some minor scratches that need to be filled. Anyone have any suggestions of what would be a good product for that?
Wes V
Since it's going to be painted, I think I'd just use JB Weld. Be sure to finish shape it prior to it's getting too hard.

Wes

tod914
Great thanks Wes.
geniusanthony
I would think that for minor scratches some high build primer and sanding will fill fine.. JB seems overkill.. for deeper scratches all-metal or similar would seem better than JB also probably easier to sand as well and adhere just as well.
Mikey914
Use high temp Labmetal, it is good to over 500 Degrees so you can even powder coat it.
GeorgeRud
This is the first I've heard of Lab Metal. Where do you buy it? I only saw industrial suppliers selling it by the case.
underthetire
Spot putty works fine. Iv'e even seen the custom guys bondo the wheels. They flex less than the body does. Seems to hold up fine.
Mikey914
Right here:
http://www.alvinproducts.com/Products/Products.asp?id=2

Works great! The only way to go for powdercoating.
charliew
The lab metal is pretty expensive to be using for a painted wheel. If I were just putting a good bc cc on the wheel I would make sure it's real clean and use epoxy two part primer then a sanding primer or rage body filler in the scratches then more sanding primer then the sealer and the bc/cc. Just like a normal good auto application.

If it's going to be a powder coat then jb weld or labmetal.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Wes V @ Jun 20 2009, 09:07 AM) *

Since it's going to be painted, I think I'd just use JB Weld. Be sure to finish shape it prior to it's getting too hard.

Wes

Ummm, excuse me, but why would you paint these wheels?
Pat
Wes V
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jun 21 2009, 06:35 PM) *

QUOTE(Wes V @ Jun 20 2009, 09:07 AM) *

Wes

Ummm, excuse me, but why would you paint these wheels?
Pat

Why are you quoting me, when it's tod914 that is painting his wheels??

Wes
tod914
Thought they are suppose to be that Wurth silver, no?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.