Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: tune up questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nycchef
i need to change my points and plugs. went to all the local flaps (pep boys, strauss, auto zone, no napa here) and when i say points 74 914, they glaze over. saw on e- bay (don't trust e-bay) points for a mercedes benz 230 66-84 will fit a 914. dizzy is stock (009) , is this true?
also what kind of plugs are good for a carbed 74 2.0

dumb question of the week.
doing a valve adjustment i don't remember which are the intake and which are the exhaust, i know , senior moment considering i done this before
thanks
rich confused24.gif
DNHunt
Rich

Don't feel so bad. I can remember which are intakes and which are exhaust but, when I get too close it's hard to see stuff. Ain't getting old fun.

Intakes are to the center of the heads and exhaust are to the outside.

Points are Bosch 232-081-044
Condenser is Bosch 311-905-295C

I think you always are supposed to change both points and condenser together.

Question why FLAPS? If they look puzzled I wouldn't trust them. It might be better to wait a couple of days and get the right stuff.

Dave
Gint
agree.gif

Go to a real import parts auto store rather than a chain Autozone kinda place. Probably end up being a true "local" outfit from the acronym FLAPS.
Spoke
Now is a good time to go to Pertronix. Install once and forget about them.

If you're going to keep points, I have a new set along with a new condenser that you can have. Pay the shipping and their yours.
Cap'n Krusty
To adjust the valves, you don't need to know which is which. Use the procedure found in the classic threads. The part numbers listed earlier are NOT the Bosch numbers, or even close. The points for an aftermarket 009 (the one with no vacuum can) are 01 030, and the points for the stock EFI distributor are 01 011. The condenser for that one is 02 054. I don't have the number for the condenser that fits the aftermarket distributor. Condensers in Bosch distributors are rarely in need of replacement.

The Cap'n
jt914-6
I believe Rich (nycchef) had a Pertronix and burned it up by reversing the wires...
Sounds like he needs the Pertronix II. They are protected from that......If that is the route he wants to go....
nycchef
QUOTE(Gint @ Jun 21 2009, 06:39 AM) *

agree.gif

Go to a real import parts auto store rather than a chain Autozone kinda place. Probably end up being a true "local" outfit from the acronym FLAPS.

here is the problem, this is nyc. no one here drives classis cars, they all drive leased bmw's. it is easier to find a personal shopper than it is to find a real parts store or knowledgeable porsche guy (i got a personal shopper and he couldn't find a parts store either). i have a pertronix and plan to check it out today, i think it's o.k. just want a new set of points to keep on the glove box in case.
well it,s on to the valve job, i'll be back when i screw that up beerchug.gif
jimkelly

http://www.pelicanparts.com/

r_towle
Go to the Porsche dealer...they would know.
Or,
Buy some online and wait.

OR
Clean your old set while you wait and use those.

Rich
nycchef
OR
Clean your old set while you wait and use those.

Rich

that's what i'm gonna do.
carbs are cleaned and adjusted as per your specs, floats @ 10mm hope to put them in later, maybe valve adjustment can wait a week till i can get to a lift, if not ... tomorrow hissyfit.gif
jt914-6
I assume you know that valves have to be "cold" before adjusting them.....
nycchef
QUOTE(jt914-6 @ Jun 21 2009, 01:12 PM) *

I assume you know that valves have to be "cold" before adjusting them.....

yes i know. giving the amount of time my car actually spends running, that shouldn't be a problem
ericread
QUOTE(jt914-6 @ Jun 21 2009, 08:54 AM) *

I believe Rich (nycchef) had a Pertronix and burned it up by reversing the wires...
Sounds like he needs the Pertronix II. They are protected from that......If that is the route he wants to go....

Last time I spoke to the guys at Pertornix, they had not made a "Pertronix-II" for the 914. So unless someone has more recent information, we're just going to have to go on using the old Pertronix units, and finally learning about our ignition wires.

Eric Read biggrin.gif
jt914-6
Talked to a "tech" at Petronix. He says that he needs the dist. part number to see if they have a Ignitor II for it.
I've sold them for years. I sent them a 911 dist. so they could make them for the 911's. I'm also responsible for the 911 kit with the "backwards" points.
I would think that an Ignitor II module from the six kit coupled with the four cyl. magnetic sleeve would work. The mounting plate/shape is about the same between both kits.
I've got both kits and might be able to get a four dist. to try my idea.......
jt914-6
Did some research. The Ignitor II module from a six kit will work for a four using the four magnetic sleeve. The base mounting plates are the same......This is something that the Pertronix "techs" don't know...... I thought it would work before I tried it.....Been selling them too long......I'm sure I can get the Ignitor II module by itself and make up a kit for the four....
Katmanken
Ya know, I'd be willing to bet that Porshche 914 parts, VW bug parts (1970-1975), or VW bus parts (70's) would work just fine.

All of these cars and vans use aircooled VW engines and Bosch distributors so the mounting of the points and condensers would be the same. The only difference might be the condenser wire length which you can check by taking an old part with you to the store. The bug condenser wires have an intermediate rubber plug on the green wire to go into the distributor, and a long extension from the plug to the dizzy.

You can ask the guys at the store do a part number cross check to see if it's the same part numbers between VW and Porsche...

That being said, finding an exact condenser for older engines can be fun. According to electrical theory, they can be different and work just fine. It's my personal theory that companies make a coupla condenser can sizes, and ship them to manufacturing to add different mounting surfaces, to cut the wire to lenght, and to add a connector or 2...

Which is why I'm running a wonderful VW bug condenser (Bosch) with a long assed wire trimmed to length on my 1969-70 vintage Cub Cadet lawn mower.... It was cheap and reliable but required a different connector crimped on the end.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.