Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914/6 axles questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Cupomeat
stirthepot.gif Just FYI, the 912 shafts were used on 69-79 beetle, as the 1966-68 beetles still had a swing axle suspension. IRS came to the beetle in 69, but I believe the T3 had it in 66. I'll check that.
sharper
Here is my two cents since I went through this just a month ago. I had a 915 transmission, early 911 stubs, hubs, CVs, and axles (they are 1" too short). A friend had a pair of new 914/6 axles but they WOULD NOT work with the 911 CVs as they were too narrow (not sure about spline count). I ended up getting the Sway-A-Way axles that are 20.25" long with 28 spline count and everything worked great.

Based on the orginal post though it sounds like a 901 tranny is being used which means the inner and outer CVs are different diameters. So either the output flanges or stubs have to be changed or a custom axle with the two different spline patterns on the ends could be used.
Derek Seymour
QUOTE(Cupomeat @ Jun 24 2009, 02:58 PM) *

stirthepot.gif Just FYI, the 912 shafts were used on 69-79 beetle, as the 1966-68 beetles still had a swing axle suspension. IRS came to the beetle in 69, but I believe the T3 had it in 66. I'll check that.

1968 Autostick models had IRS. Splitting hairs, but....
Cap'n Krusty

Just how hard is it to understand that VW axles and Porsche axles have different spline counts? From the repeated attempts here to dispute that, it must be pretty damn hard. BTW, T3s had swing axles through 1968, just like everything VW except the bus which got IRS in 1968, and the aforementioned autostick cars (and automatics). The Cap'n
r_towle
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jun 24 2009, 09:21 PM) *

Just how hard is it to understand that VW axles and Porsche axles have different spline counts? From the repeated attempts here to dispute that, it must be pretty damn hard. BTW, T3s had swing axles through 1968, just like everything VW except the bus which got IRS in 1968, and the aforementioned autostick cars (and automatics). The Cap'n

So what your saying is that the 1968 and later buses (the modern ones) axles will fit the 914 provided you use the autostick (or automatic) transmission? Would that require the NLA microswitch?

R
Rob-O 1167
Jeez...talk about a hijacked thread. So did get your stub or not? You also said you 'might' have access to some /6 axles. Did that pan out? If not, I have a set here in the garage collecting dust that I could offer up. Not trying to turn this into a classified ad, just letting you know.

I've re-read this a few times and am still unsure of what /6 owners do when they need a new CV.
SLITS
QUOTE(Rob-O 1167 @ Jun 24 2009, 06:44 PM) *

Jeez...talk about a hijacked thread. So did get your stub or not? You also said you 'might' have access to some /6 axles. Did that pan out? If not, I have a set here in the garage collecting dust that I could offer up. Not trying to turn this into a classified ad, just letting you know.

I've re-read this a few times and am still unsure of what /6 owners do when they need a new CV.

If it is a real 914/6 CV:

It would be really cool if you could/would measure the bar length and post it. Hopefully it is 20 1/4" long.

It would also be nice to know if the splines on the end of the bar number 28.

I got Mike a pair of stub axles.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(SLITS @ Jun 24 2009, 07:58 PM) *

It would be really cool if you could/would measure the bar length and post it. Hopefully it is 20 1/4" long.

Does that mean I get mine back? You have one more? The Cap'n
SLITS
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jun 24 2009, 08:21 PM) *

QUOTE(SLITS @ Jun 24 2009, 07:58 PM) *

Does that mean I get mine back? You have one more? The Cap'n

Sent you a PM O' Krotchty One ...................
Joe Bob
Krusty get his back, SLITs gets a pair of CDI boxes rebuilt in trade....

I feel.....soooo....like Byron....
Rob-O 1167
I am 100% sure they're from a /6.

Length is 20 1/4 inches long, but splines on a /6 are 25, not 28.

Unfortunately the axles I have don't have CV's on them, just bare axles. Hence the reason for my earlier question about what /6 owners do when they need new CV's.
Lavanaut
deleted ph34r.gif
Project 6
Well the ones I got in the mail are the same size as what I pulled out of the swing arms.....Krusty, I'll up to pick thru your pile.....
brp986s
Just dealt with this. Car is a '70 914-6 (#2455). I used 911 axles which mount 100mm cv's. They are 25 spline, just like 914-6 axles, but 0.75 inch shorter as seen here:

Click to view attachment
brp986s
Although the 911 and 914-6 axles are 25 spline, a 100 mm 911 cv won't fit on a 914-6 axle as the splined length on the 911 axle is a few mm longer, so the 914-6 axle won't accomodate the 100 mm cv and the outer circlip:

Click to view attachment
brp986s
You can use a 100mm 911 stub in a 914-6 hub. Both are 28 spline:

Click to view attachment
brp986s
To make it work, get 0.75 inch spacer. This one made by patrick ms:

Click to view attachment

brp986s
wullah:

Click to view attachment
Joe Bob
First off, I wouldn't buy warm spit PMS. He doesn't back his low bid contracted out crap......
brp986s
QUOTE(mikez @ Aug 30 2009, 09:44 PM) *

First off, I wouldn't buy warm spit PMS. He doesn't back his low bid contracted out crap......

Acknowledged...again. Can't go too wrong here tho - chunk o'steel w/6 holes.
Eric_Shea
Buying the proper length axles is better IMO. $308 bucks. No spacers etc.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.