Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914/6 axles questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Project 6
OK, so I'm ready to install the engine and found a surprise. The PO was going to install a later model trans. As such, they installed 915 style stub axles. The oem stubs are lost in space.

The existing stubs don't bolt up to the 914/4 axles and CVs I was going to use. The 2.0/6 "S" spec motor puts out about 140hp. So I wasn't worried about twisting them with high torque since I used this set up with a 3.0 in the past.

My questions is....are 914/6 AXLES which I might have access to, compatible with 915 sized CVs? FYI 914/6 CVs have been NLA for 20+ years....

Since I have the sub axles, can easily find drive flanges for the trans, I was thinking this would be an easy alternative. Does the 914/6 axle have the same spline count? 28 is what I've been told.

Simply using a 911 axle won't work, too long. Buying 914/6 stub axles is an expensive deal, $5-600. Mittelmotor and Otto....

Some good news, I HAVE been able to locate one stub axle...it will need a little machining as it's a bit corroded. But I'm looking for alternatives.

Anyone BTDT? Or even better....an orphan 914/6 stubbie?
Dr Evil
Switch to regular /4 stubs and output flanges and use stock axles with CVs smile.gif
SLITS
Ok Mike,

I have our axle supervisor looking to see if any of the early 911 CVs we have have the stub axles still attached. Most of the time they are removed.

Will let you know ...........
pcar916
914-6 axles are splined differently from the 4's, I have both. There are some good threads on this forum about the possible conversions. Look in the Lapuwali Classics section.

I was going to use 930 flanges inboard (930 CV's are easy to find and not terribly expensive) and 911 cv's outboard on the 914-6 axles, but I haven't yet been able to find early 911 flanges either. I thought they would make a good addition to my 3.6L conversion. I have stock 914-6 stub axles already installed.

Although, I've used stock 914-4 axles and cv's with this motor for years without a problem.
Lavanaut
QUOTE(SLITS @ Jun 23 2009, 10:12 AM) *

I have our axle supervisor looking to see if any of the early 911 CVs we have have the stub axles still attached. Most of the time they are removed.

After reading the original post a few times trying to understand the issue, it sounds to me like he's already got the 911 stub axles and tranny flanges. The issue is the 911 stubs won't mate to the stock 4-cylinder CVs (true), and the question is, will a 914-6 axle mate to 915 CVs? Right?

I don't know the answer to that question. What I do know is that Sway-a-Way makes the axle you need if the 914-6 axle doesn't pan out. Of course if you can find another 914-6 stub, that's the easiest way to go.

Reid
Lavanaut
I think this issue gets confusing because different people call the same part by different names. In my mind it's:

tranny <---> flange <---> cv <---> axle <---> cv <---> stub axle <---> hub

no?
SirAndy
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jun 23 2009, 09:06 AM) *

Switch to regular /4 stubs and output flanges and use stock axles with CVs smile.gif

agree.gif

For a stock(ish) 2.0L /6, just go back to a /4 setup and sell off your current parts ...
shades.gif Andy
Joe Bob
To use a 914/4 stub axle. You need a 914/4 hub. The /4 and /6 hubs are splined different.

Uing a 914/4 hub you'll need to machine and press in studs, you will most likely destroy the bearing.
Lavanaut
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 23 2009, 11:42 AM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jun 23 2009, 09:06 AM) *

agree.gif

For a stock(ish) 2.0L /6, just go back to a /4 setup and sell off your current parts ...
shades.gif Andy

I'm missing something here guys, how you going to do 5-lug using /4 hubs? I'm assuming that's all part of the equation. Yes it can be done, but that's probably the least ideal approach.

Again..maybe I'm just missing it.
Project 6
What I have now.

914/6 <---> /4-/6 <---> /4s <--->/4s <---> /4s <---> late 915 <---> /6
Same thing uses big CVs

/4 CVs and /6 CVs are the same diameter, the axles from the factory have different splines. /6 CVs are NLA. IF the splines on the /6 axle and the 911 axle are the same, I can use them.
<--->
The best scenario is finding another /6 stub axle....after going thru Krusty's pile of discards. We found one just hanging about on a file cabinet with three other 914/4 stub axles.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Lavanaut @ Jun 23 2009, 10:50 AM) *

how you going to do 5-lug using /4 hubs?

With a tool called a "drill" ... shades.gif
Lavanaut
QUOTE(Project 6 @ Jun 23 2009, 12:00 PM) *

The best scenario is finding another /6 stub axle....after going thru Krusty's pile of discards. We found one just hanging about on a file cabinet with three other 914/4 stub axles.

smilie_pokal.gif

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 23 2009, 12:08 PM) *

QUOTE(Lavanaut @ Jun 23 2009, 10:50 AM) *

how you going to do 5-lug using /4 hubs?

With a tool called a "drill" ... shades.gif

That's your answer to "are 914/6 AXLES which I might have access to, compatible with 915 sized CVs?"...? Switch to 4-lug and drill for 5? Hmm.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Lavanaut @ Jun 23 2009, 11:13 AM) *

That's your answer to "are 914/6 AXLES which I might have access to, compatible with 915 sized CVs?"...? Switch to 4-lug and drill for 5? Hmm.

Yes. That's my answer. Do you have a better one???

914/6 stuff is mighty expensive. Good luck finding a 914/6 stub axle.

And if i read his post correctly, he has /4 CVs and /4 axle shafts that he's trying to mate to mixed/matched 911 parts.

So yes, my answer still is to go to a /4 setup and sell off the 911 and /6 parts he already has.

At least i'm trying to come up with a solution instead of just talking down people who are trying to help.
Project 6
"are 914/6 AXLES which I might have access to, compatible with 915 sized CVs?"

That's a question that's still hanging out there. I'm sure there are more than a few original six owners that have old axles with worn out NLA /6 CVs.

What have THEY done? The easy answer is swap in /4 axles and CVs. They bolt right up to the existing /6 flanges and /6 stub axles.

For those with original 6 transmission and rear swing arm assemblies that want a larger CV, the answer would be nice if the could use 915 CVs, which are larger and built to handle more HP. IF the spline count on the /6 axles arre the same as the 911 axles. Again, 911 axles can't be used, too long.

Not MY problem but an interesting question. What's the spline count on a 914/6 original axle???????
markb
You're welcome to come up & dig thru our cv's.
Dr Evil
Eric Shea sells drilled 5 lug hubs for like $100
Project 6
Again, all I'm missing at this point is ONE /6 stub axle.

Swapping the /6 hubs out, destroys the bearings. More money and my labor.

Cheap, easy, no brains, time is my goal here.

The /6 axle issue and bigger CVs is a seperate and distinct issue.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Project 6 @ Jun 23 2009, 11:47 AM) *

Again, all I'm missing at this point is ONE /6 stub axle.

If that's the case, then all you need is $$$ biggrin.gif
Lavanaut
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 23 2009, 12:27 PM) *

Yes. That's my answer. Do you have a better one???

Yes, try to find another 914-6 stub axle if possible, and if that doesn't pan out look into Sway-a-Way axles as an alternative to 914-6. That was in my first post in this thread, maybe you glossed over it. I feel it's a better approach because he can use the beefier parts and doesn't have to use a tool called a "drill" to fundamentally reduce the integrity of his parts.

And hey, sounds like he found a single 914-6 stub axle! If that's the case it's a non-issue in the end. cheer.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Lavanaut @ Jun 23 2009, 12:04 PM) *

and doesn't have to use a tool called a "drill" to fundamentally reduce the integrity of his parts.

You got any real world data to back up that claim? If so, i'd like to see it ...
shades.gif Andy
SirAndy
QUOTE(Lavanaut @ Jun 23 2009, 10:41 AM) *

I think this issue gets confusing because different people call the same part by different names. In my mind it's:

no?

Transmission | Output Flange | CV | Axle Shaft | CV | Stub Axle | Hub

shades.gif Andy
Lavanaut
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 23 2009, 01:10 PM) *

You got any real world data to back up that claim? If so, i'd like to see it ...
shades.gif Andy

No. In my mind it's a matter of physics, but I digress.
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 23 2009, 01:15 PM) *

Transmission | Output Flange | CV | Axle Shaft | CV | Stub Axle | Hub

shades.gif Andy

CV Constant Velocity Joint

biggrin.gif

Ok I'll quit muddying this thread now.
Cap'n Krusty
You all done squabbling? I believe mid-911 CVs will fit on 914/6 axles, and there should be a bunch of those around, maybe even here. I'm NOT sure about that, but it makes sense. Michael: There are a number of those CVs here for your perusal. IF they'll fit 914/6 axles, then the problem is solved and we're done. To those suggesting hub/stub conversions, there's the expense of the hubs, the new bearings, and the stubs. This is NOT an insubstantial number. Best way? Get him one stub. Next best, a pair of axles and some 911 CVs, IF we can find 4 good ones. Last choice, the /4 pieces.

The Cap'n
SLITS
Ok Mike .... you're leading a charmed life ever since you dropped the Ass Avatar ... I have the stub axle you are looking for.

In fact, I might have a pair.

Further, I might have a couple of pairs.

Send gold .... paper money is worthless biggrin.gif
Project 6
Sounds like some old phart just got a freebie on CDI box rebuilds.
Richard Casto
An earlier post asked about spline counts. I have been working on a wiki article (not yet finished) that goes into some detail about the actual parts involved...

http://www.roadglue.com/wiki/index.php?tit...sion_conversion

Anyone who feels they are particularly knowledgeable on this topic, feel free to make edits to that page. Ideally I was wanting to have that page list what parts work and some recipies for various combinations that work well together.
charliew
I'm pretty sure I read here somewhere that 911 axles are too short in the 914 to position the cv cage in the center of it's optimal position in the cv joint and it causes premature wear on the cv's and also makes the cages break easier.
Project 6
Long or short...I agree, they don't fit.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
six and four cv axles connect to the same input and output flanges whether four or six. Easiest solution is to purchase the aftermarket 914-6 stub axles and bolt everything together.

QUOTE(Project 6 @ Jun 23 2009, 08:19 AM) *

OK, so I'm ready to install the engine and found a surprise. The PO was going to install a later model trans. As such, they installed 915 style stub axles. The oem stubs are lost in space.

The existing stubs don't bolt up to the 914/4 axles and CVs I was going to use. The 2.0/6 "S" spec motor puts out about 140hp. So I wasn't worried about twisting them with high torque since I used this set up with a 3.0 in the past.

My questions is....are 914/6 AXLES which I might have access to, compatible with 915 sized CVs? FYI 914/6 CVs have been NLA for 20+ years....

Since I have the sub axles, can easily find drive flanges for the trans, I was thinking this would be an easy alternative. Does the 914/6 axle have the same spline count? 28 is what I've been told.

Simply using a 911 axle won't work, too long. Buying 914/6 stub axles is an expensive deal, $5-600. Mittelmotor and Otto....

Some good news, I HAVE been able to locate one stub axle...it will need a little machining as it's a bit corroded. But I'm looking for alternatives.

Anyone BTDT? Or even better....an orphan 914/6 stubbie?

Project 6
Further research shows 69-77 stubbies are the same.

Here's a set from eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...RK%3AMEWAX%3AIT
SirAndy
QUOTE(Project 6 @ Jun 23 2009, 02:22 PM) *

Here's a set from eBay.

Those don't look right! confused24.gif

Here's a pic of my genuine 914/6 stub axles:
Richard Casto
QUOTE(Project 6 @ Jun 23 2009, 06:22 PM) *

Here's a set from eBay.

I tend to think those from that ebay listing are not going to work. Those are early 911 stub axles and probably only work with hubs that are not commonly used on 914 five lug rear conversions. I also don't think the 69-77 911 stub axles are the same.

In short, you hubs and stubs need to match (spline count as well as bearing width/ID). Your stubs and CV needs to match (bolt pattern/CV diameter). Your CV needs to match your axle (spline count) on both ends. Your axle needs to be the correct width. Your CV needs to match the transmission output flange (bolt pattern/CV diameter). Your output flange needs to match your transmission differential (spline count, mounting depth and probably other factors).
Richard Casto
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 23 2009, 06:55 PM) *

QUOTE(Project 6 @ Jun 23 2009, 02:22 PM) *

Here's a set from eBay.

Those don't look right! confused24.gif

Here's a pic of my genuine 914/6 stub axles:

The magic of the 914/6 stub axle (or repo) is that it has the correct spline count to work with common 911 five lug hubs, but then has the bolt pattern/CV diameter that matches up to the standard 914 CV. It basically allows you to use your 914/4 axle and CV combo and easy to find 911 hubs. But at the price of either a real 914/6 stub ($$$) or a repo (less $$, but still not cheap)
Lavanaut
Agreed with all above ~ those on eBay look wrong. As I recall (not 100% here) the ones you want are '74-'86 or -'89. Here's an OEM set I sold recently for reference:

edit: i'm unsure re: years, see better info below

Click to view attachment
SLITS
Here's some information for you Mike (and anybody else that cares)

1972-1975 Porsche 911/930 CV Axles: Splines for cage are 28 teeth. Bar is 1.037" diameter and 19 7/16" long. CVs are 4.250" diameter and 1.220" thick. CVs are bolt on 4 holes and 2 locating pins.

1969 - 1971 911/930 CV axles ... Splines are 28 teeth. Bar is 1.037" diameter and 19 1/8" long. CVs are 4.250" diameter and 1.535 thick. CVs are bolt on 4 holes and 2 locating pins.

1966 - 1968 Porsche 912 CVs are 0.950" in diameter and 16 1/8" long. Splines are 33 teeth for cage. CVs are 3.669 diameter. CVs are bolt on 6 holes. (Also used on '66-'79 Beetle).

1969 - 1976 Porsche 914 .... Splines are 33 teeth for cage. Bar is 1.020" diameter and 20 1/4" long. CVs are 3.669" diameter and 1.220" thick CVs are bolt on 4 holes and 2 locating pins.

Now, what would a 914/6 CV axle assembly be?

And according to my research the stub axle 901 332 232 00 was used from 1969 - 1977 (28 spline).

Further ... The '69 - '75 had two bumps on each end of the bar. The Beetle/912/914 has one bump.
Richard Casto
QUOTE(SLITS @ Jun 23 2009, 07:05 PM) *

I "think" the difference between a 914/6 axle and CV combo and a 914/4 axle and CV combo is...

Length is the same. 914/6 axle is slightly larger in diameter (1mm or so). 914/6 axle and CVs have 28 spline. 914/4 axle and CV have 33 spline. Bolt pattern and CV diameter is the same on both. If my understanding is correct, you can direclty swap one for the other.

If I am wrong, someone correct me, so I can update my wiki article with correct info.

PS: thanks for the other dimension info in your post!
Richard Casto
QUOTE(Lavanaut @ Jun 23 2009, 07:03 PM) *

Agreed with all above ~ those on eBay look wrong. As I recall (not 100% here) the ones you want are '74-'86 or -'89. Here's an OEM set I sold recently for reference:

edit: don't quote me on that year range.

Click to view attachment

I am still getting up to speed on this myself, but I think those would be the ones that use the 100mm six bolt CV joint. Commonly used by those who are looking to use 944 CV joints. So unless the OP is moving to a larger CV joint (and associated axle mods or custom axle) he may not want that particular stub axle.
Lavanaut
QUOTE(SLITS @ Jun 23 2009, 04:05 PM) *

Here's some information for you Mike (and anybody else that cares)

Bookmarked, thanks Ron! smilie_pokal.gif
Joe Bob
QUOTE(Richard Casto @ Jun 23 2009, 03:10 PM) *

QUOTE(SLITS @ Jun 23 2009, 07:05 PM) *

I "think" the difference between a 914/6 axle and CV combo and a 914/4 axle and CV combo is...

Length is the same. 914/6 axle is slightly larger in diameter (1mm or so). 914/6 axle and CVs have 28 spline. 914/4 axle and CV have 33 spline. Bolt pattern and CV diameter is the same on both. If my understanding is correct, you can direclty swap one for the other.

If I am wrong, someone correct me, so I can update my wiki article with correct info.

PS: thanks for the other dimension info in your post!

I agree with you and the old guy. agree.gif
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Project 6 @ Jun 23 2009, 03:22 PM) *

Here's a set from eBay.

If you bothered to read the ad, it says "WE SELL EARLY PORSCHE 911 AND 912 PARTS" in the header, and "should also fit year 1965-1968" in the text. 1965 through 1968 cars, and the parts therein, are considered "early". Post 1968 cars are considered something else, but NOT early. Didn't we talk about this yesterday? The Cap'n
Joe Bob
stirthepot.gif Stirring the pot O Krusty one....stirring it up but gud.... stirthepot.gif
SLITS
Hell John .... at my age '65 - '68 are current models. Anything after that is futuristic.
Joe Bob
I know who's shorter....who's older?
SLITS
I think I have him by a year or so.
914Sixer
Why not do it the simple way as the Dr says.? Get a set of repro stub axle from Otto's. They bolt to the 4 axle and mate to the -6 hub.

-6 axles and 4 axles are the same diameter and length. I cannot remember if the spline count for the axle shaft is different. -6 CVs have 6 bolts and no pins. -4 have 4 bolts and 2 pins. Both CV joints for the 6 and 4 are NLA.

-6 rear hubs and 69-73 911 rear hubs are the same part number. Stub axles for the 69-73 911 will fit in the hub. These hubs are 100mm. I do not know if the 100mm CV joint will fit onto the 914-4 shaft.
Joe Bob
$600 bucks......they should sleep with me and do my laundry.....since it's not gonna happen, no thanks.
914Sixer
I paid $350 for my stub axles from Otto's but it has been awhile.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jun 23 2009, 06:09 PM) *

Why not do it the simple way as the Dr says.? Get a set of repro stub axle from Otto's. They bolt to the 4 axle and mate to the -6 hub.

-6 axles and 4 axles are the same diameter and length. I cannot remember if the spline count for the axle shaft is different. -6 CVs have 6 bolts and no pins. -4 have 4 bolts and 2 pins. Both CV joints for the 6 and 4 are NLA.

-6 rear hubs and 69-73 911 rear hubs are the same part number. Stub axles for the 69-73 911 will fit in the hub. These hubs are 100mm. I do not know if the 100mm CV joint will fit onto the 914-4 shaft.

/6 CVs have pins, IIRC (and I think I do!) 100mm CV joints that fit 911s WILL NOT fit /4 axles, and that's what this whole discussion is about. (I use the term discussion loosely.) As has been repeated seemingly endlessly, the spline counts are different ......... They'll fit 914/6 axles, though, I'm pretty sure, and that would solve the problem, IF we had some /6 axles. But we don't. What we DO have are the inner 100mm flanges, 100 mm outer stubs, and a number of (probably) useable 100 mm CV joints. Boots are not an issue. We also have a number of /4 axles, complete with CVs, and 914 drive flanges. What we DO NOT have are (1) 914/6 stub axle or (2) 914/6 axle shafts. We need one or the other. The least complicated (and potentially the least expensive) option is gonna be the single 914/6 stub axle.

The Cap'n
Project 6
Cheap is gud....
IronHillRestorations
PM Sent
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.