Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear Caliper rebuild help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
broomhandle
any help on a rear caliper rebuild? i have done a million mountain bike caliper rebuilds. its the same principle... but after reading pelicans how to:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9...per_rebuild.htm

drilling?

would anybody have pictures? i have the rebuild kit and i am ready to go.
biosurfer1
Brian,

Here's a good place to start:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=24229

Also, the guy who wrote the article is the guy I was telling you about, Eric Shea. He is the guy you'll want to direct questions at.

Nice to meet you...let me know if you need any help on your car.
RJMII
welcome.png

Eric's a good guy.

+1 for http://www.pmbperformance.com

broomhandle
perfect... exactly what i need. thanks guys.
type2man
Apparently the ferrari rear caliper is the same style as the 914 one. Follow this link:

http://www.ferrarilife.com/tech/view.php?id=13

The hardest part is popping the round cap off. Instead of drilling, I popped one off with comepressed air (use goggles when doing this) and the other one I removed by tapping a flathead screwdriver on the corner of it. If your caliper is leaking, more than likely it's the o-ring inside so you will NEED to remove these covers to stop the leaks.
Eric_Shea
so you will NEED to remove these covers to stop the leaks.

Myth Buster = False/Busted.

These covers "rarely" need to be removed as they only access a clip to remove the handbrake arm. The handbrake arm only has a wiper type dust seal on it. It can't cause or prevent leaks.

If your caliper is leaking it is the inner adjuster seal which can be accessed using the standard methods in my rebuild thread.

In fact; I recommend you "never" remove the welch plug on a 914 rear caliper rebuild as the kits to repair them are $39.00 from me and I have the best price I've found in the states. If you have a frozen (read: rusted) or damaged dust seal you should probably hit the classifieds and look for a better caliper. Most good core calipers are less than the kit itself. The only time I recommend using the kit is on a 914-6 caliper that has a bad dust seal.

Handbrake arm dust seals can go bad if you use too much brake cleaner. Use cautiously and sparingly around the arm.
type2man
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jun 29 2009, 04:21 PM) *

so you will NEED to remove these covers to stop the leaks.

Myth Buster = False/Busted.

These covers "rarely" need to be removed as they only access a clip to remove the handbrake arm. The handbrake arm only has a wiper type dust seal on it. It can't cause or prevent leaks.

If your caliper is leaking it is the inner adjuster seal which can be accessed using the standard methods in my rebuild thread.

In fact; I recommend you "never" remove the welch plug on a 914 rear caliper rebuild as the kits to repair them are $39.00 from me and I have the best price I've found in the states. If you have a frozen (read: rusted) or damaged dust seal you should probably hit the classifieds and look for a better caliper. Most good core calipers are less than the kit itself. The only time I recommend using the kit is on a 914-6 caliper that has a bad dust seal.

Handbrake arm dust seals can go bad if you use too much brake cleaner. Use cautiously and sparingly around the arm.

I rebuilt my caliper without removing the handbrake arm and it leaked right after I installed it, right at the base of the arm. I searched the forum on the subject and found nothing, I googled and got the ferrari caliper website. I removed the metal plug, removed the handbrake arm and changed the o-ring and it stopped the leak on mine.
Eric_Shea
I removed the metal plug, removed the handbrake arm and changed the o-ring and it stopped the leak on mine.

No it didn't. It's still leaking on the inside. It probably is just holding it back better now. Or the adjuster sealed the second time around.

The only fluid that can pass that way has to pass by the "inner adjuster seal"... If it leaked into the arm area you still have a bad inner adjuster seal.

You had to take the inner adjuster back out to put that seal in so I'm guessing it seated better the second time.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.