Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best weight oil to use
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SUNAB914
Had to pull my motor to do some replacing of a few seals and some other small stuff, so I just wanted to find out what the best weight of motor oil I should use with my engine when I refill. New rebuild, with hydro lifters.
Thanks

By the way, my 2.0l with single weber carb has been getting 26mpg average in city and my 1.8L plus upgrade, w/ duel webers has been getting 26-27mpg average. haven't put either on a good highway miles to find out what they can really get yet. I'd say that's pretty good.
Tom
Brad Penn 20w-50 gt1 racing oil. You can get it from Jack or somewhere local perhaps. My 2.0 liter with hydros seems to like it better. Not as much lifter noise if not run every day.
Tom
SUNAB914
Thanks for that. Anyone else?
Tom
I mean Jake Raby of Jake Raby Enterprises. Air cooled technologies, etc. Look up his website, he did a lot of testing on oils and highly recommends Brad Penn.
Tom
jk76.914
I think 20W-50 is the "correct" weight for hydros. Keep the zinc and phosphorus up, and I understand Brad Penn does that and a lot of guys have a high regard for it.

After breakin back in 2004, I've run Mobil 1 V-Twin 20W-50 in my hydro D-jet 2.0L. It's designed for aircooled (motorcycles actually) so it has the Zn and P for our flat tappet lifters, so if you've considered a synthetic, this is a possibility.
SUNAB914
Thanks again.
70Sixter
Charles Navarro of LN Engineering also recommends Brad Penn. It is basically the old Kendall GT-1 updated from the old straight 30W we used to use in aircooleds.

A lot of oils have been reformulated with lower ZDDP levels mostly out of political correctness IMO.
sww914
My hydraulic lifters work a LOOOOOOOOOOOOT better with Brad Penn 20/50 than they did before.
jk76.914
QUOTE(sww914 @ Jul 3 2009, 04:15 PM) *

My hydraulic lifters work a LOOOOOOOOOOOOT better with Brad Penn 20/50 than they did before.

What did you use before?
sww914
I'm not sure what was in there, MarkB would know. I don't put tons of miles on the car so it took me awhile to get around to the oil change after I got the car, like almost a year. Bad Mechanic, no girly calenders for you!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.