Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ambitious new parts manufacturing program
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
dr914@autoatlanta.com
We are happy to announce that we are officially embarking on an exclusive agreement with a company who already makes many many aftermarket Porsche parts mainly in the 356 arena, to make US 914 parts! They specialize in the so called "trinket" parts long discontinued by the factory but direly needed. So with that stated we need your suggestions! These would be parts like rear shift covers, relay board cover nuts, fuel tank lower nipple nuts, (these we already make) to things like emblem bezels, seat tilt knobs, rear top catches, trunk lock cylinders, chrome bumper plugs, rear roll bar molding, brake hardware, etc etc. Please tell us what you would like to see made for the car or what you think that the 914 market would demand so we can put the parts on our consideration list. We of course will NOT make anything anyone else is already making, and really thank people like David and Chris and Mark and Jeff and Craig who have stepped up to help with the preservation of the 914.
So tell us what you think the 914 market needs in trinkets and I will embark. For those of you who say that I should know, yes you are probably right but I am open minded and want to hear from all.
markb
It sounds like you've got a pretty good list going, George. How about early window scraper end caps? I'm sure the group will come up with a whole lotta stuff.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(markb @ Jul 1 2009, 03:58 PM) *

It sounds like you've got a pretty good list going, George. How about early window scraper end caps? I'm sure the group will come up with a whole lotta stuff.

thank you Mark. we have the end caps through our silicone mold. Work but a little crude. Keep going we need a big list!
orange914
not sure if these are already repro'd but a few that come to mind are shift knob, front unobtainium targa seal,targa top rubber hold down clips (in trunk), roll bar interior trim peice... decent priced s/s heat exchangers
beerchug.gif
Jerry75914
Chrome front windshield trim!
r_towle
Gas tank lower CAP nuts...for those who go to carbs.
MPS....never know till you ask them....lol
new outer cases for the FI ECU...nice and clean and pretty.
Relay board plastic covers
Heater control lever (floor unit) for both console and non console
Early window regulators...front window roller etc
Chrome strip that holds rubber on targa bar.
Ditto for back of roof

New roof handles front and rear
New sun visors

Rich
r_towle
Properly made engine tin.
Specifically lower pieces....those are always missing..like socks.

High quality distributor clamp.
Early window handles the dont break.

Rich
r_towle
Stainless steel HE's....make a new run....step up to the plate.

Rich
Jake Raby
Stainless Steel HEs are no problem.. I already have billet dizzy clamps.

George and I need to get together on some of these things..

We already have molds to make the most common sheet metal pieces from fiberglass..

What stops so much of this from coming to fruition is the lack of those who step up and beg for the parts actually coming through and buying them.

I could have heaterboxes in less than 3 months... Including some that have 1-5/8" primaries for larger engines...
ws91420
The little end caps at the end of the window channels on the doors.
r_towle
Starting to see the used price for 2.0 liter HE's get up around 700 now...
It might be time to do it.

A matching muffler that is loud, flows good, yet cannot be seen hanging out under the car would be nice.
Rich
Jake Raby
I actually already started on the HEs over a year ago and a muffler too, but then the economy tanked and I decided to sit on my money..

It'll take 20 sets pre-sold, paid for up front before we go further because I have been burned before and I don't forget!
orange914
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Jul 1 2009, 05:16 PM) *

I actually already started on the HEs over a year ago and a muffler too, but then the economy tanked and I decided to sit on my money..

It'll take 20 sets pre-sold, paid for up front before we go further because I have been burned before and I don't forget!

for the record i'm not shopping for them but i had increadible demand for the used sets i've sold in the past. what spacific's on any alterations and/or price? have you tested any proto's? i would think there would be alot of serious interest.

mike
Jake Raby
Prototypes have been designed, but have no been built as of yet. with our capabilities I could get data back to back within one week that would prove the units are virtual replicas of the OE sets..

This isn't that big of a deal for us... Lab or field testing can be accomplished very quickly on several different engines.

Other times I have assumed that things would sell like crazy when they did not, thats why everything now has pre-sales before we invest in tooling and our time to bring them to the market.

Price would be dependent upon the volume, I'd say 800.00/set would be a good price point and we could have met that last year before I tabled the development.
markb
QUOTE(ws91420 @ Jul 1 2009, 05:09 PM) *

The little end caps at the end of the window channels on the doors.

These are still available for the later cars.
r_towle
DOnt assume.
Do a group buy of 25 sets....both here and the club.
Simple...if you dont get 25, you dont build them...

A group buy requires payment

I still want a special looking engine shroud....

RIch
Jake Raby
I'll talk to George about getting together on the HE development when I return from Vacation..
As far as a "Special looking shroud".... well, looks are the least of my concern, they are even second to developing something for sound. To create ANYTHING in the cooling arena takes MONTHS of development.

The only cooling system I care to finish is my X4CS system that shares lots of characteristics with the Carrera shroud.. BUT not many people will spend 2K on something that works and looks good these days.

Lets don't steal George's thunder with his thread.. The engine stuff is my specialty and George and I have been working well together thus far, even on Boxster engine developments..

We can start a thread on the HE development on my forums..
jt914-6
Hey George
What about reproducing this. The hand throttle is a really nice thing to have for those who have carbs on a six or four. I kept the one from my orignal 914-6 and put it in the '74 conversion. All the shifter housings have the slot for it. Wouldn't take much to repo the parts for it. It sure helps to warm up the carbs.....

Click to view attachment
jt914-6
Of course the accelator lever will be needed too......

Click to view attachment
914_teener
George,

Still waiting for the 1.7 air cleaner to throttle body elbow mold that I ordered last November?

Thanks... ?
tat2dphreak
targa top rubber hold down clips (in trunk)

these are available. I think a member here makes them, I bought a set a year or 2 ago.
JeffBowlsby
Ditto to many of the above...and I raise you these:

#1-MPS Diaphragms - this is bigger than 914s...other cars use them too.
#2-LE front spoilers, high quality and true to the original design
Alternator cover gasket
Transaxle tailcover gasket
Red defrost lever knob
Rubber alternator harness grommets
Thermostat
Rear trans shift cover strap
Fuel line ‘Neptune Fork’ nylon brackets
Rubber fuel evap tube grommet at engine shelf
73-74 2.0L muffler in stainless steel could be a big seller
First/reverse slider gears
HO battery cover with label

Nobody start making the SS 2.0 HE’s just yet…I have an NOS set I am waiting for just the right time to sell…smile.gif
736conver
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jul 1 2009, 05:24 PM) *

We are happy to announce that we are officially embarking on an exclusive agreement with a company who already makes many many aftermarket Porsche parts mainly in the 356 arena, to make US 914 parts! They specialize in the so called "trinket" parts long discontinued by the factory but direly needed.

Wheres the company located?
SGB
Headlight "eyebrow" attachment plugs haven't been mentioned. Windshield trim would be great!
Also decent warm air guides, like Rich mentioned.
Flapper valves that don't cost so much would be nice.
StratPlayer
throttle bodies
Jake Raby
Nobody start making the SS 2.0 HE’s just yet…I have an NOS set I am waiting for just the right time to sell

Might want to list them on Ebay...
Today.
:-)
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(orange914 @ Jul 1 2009, 05:11 PM) *

not sure if these are already repro'd but a few that come to mind are shift knob, front unobtainium targa seal,targa top rubber hold down clips (in trunk), roll bar interior trim peice... decent priced s/s heat exchangers
beerchug.gif

Thank you. Excellent repro shift knob in stock, the club member in canada? makes the rear top holders we get the rear roll bar pad reskinned by Craig, and we have the targa seal currently being constructed by two different companies, and bozel making the stainless steel sheaths for the heat exchangers!!!
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(Jerry75914 @ Jul 1 2009, 05:52 PM) *

Chrome front windshield trim!

have a very good cheap source in germany who originally made it for the factory 200 for the complete surround including the clips
ericread
QUOTE(SGB @ Jul 2 2009, 08:07 AM) *

Headlight "eyebrow" attachment plugs haven't been mentioned. Windshield trim would be great!
Also decent warm air guides, like Rich mentioned.
Flapper valves that don't cost so much would be nice.

The eyebrow plugs are available for a couple bucks a piece today. I bought a set (3 for each side) in February.

IM me if you need further information.

Eric
Jake Raby
George, if you have the sheaths already being made for the Heat exchangers, then I can have the "rest" of them made in just a few weeks... I could finish the assembly of them.

email me..
sean_v8_914
2.0 TPS circuit board
Lavanaut
I'm probably in the minority here, buuuuut....

I'm all for "preserving the marquee" and absolutely commend the efforts of everyone out there making parts for our cars that are no longer available as OEM. That people step up to fill the void is awesome. BUT (flame suit on), I don't love the idea of flooding the market with aftermarket parts to be sold at a discount when OEM parts are still available. Do I want to spend hundreds of dollars for a freaking rubber seal for my car? No, no I do not...however if I buy another 914 some years int the future, I also don't want to come to realization that it's a car restored with 70% aftermarket parts being represented as original. This was a lesson I learned when we were shopping for a Westfalia a couple years ago...there's a lot of aftermarket junk (truly, not that that will apply to George's parts) that people slap on their restored Westy and then turn around and charge what could only be considered reasonable for an all-original example. How many people out there are going to scoop up the $200 windshield trim and turn around and sell it on eBay as "NOS" for twice that?

It's a double-edged sword for the community, in my humble opinion. And I think it "can" hurt the value of our cars in the long run.

No offense intended to George or Jake or anyone else, at all. Just something I was chewing on.

Reid
736conver
QUOTE(Lavanaut @ Jul 2 2009, 01:20 PM) *

I'm all for "preserving the marquee" and absolutely commend the efforts of everyone out there making parts for our cars that are no longer available as OEM. That people step up to fill the void is awesome. BUT (flame suit on), I don't love the idea of flooding the market with aftermarket parts to be sold at a discount when OEM parts are still available. Do I want to spend hundreds of dollars for a freaking rubber seal for my car? No, no I do not...however if I buy another 914 some years int the future, I also don't want to come to realization that it's a car restored with 70% aftermarket parts being represented as original. This was a lesson I learned when we were shopping for a Westfalia a couple years ago...there's a lot of aftermarket junk (truly, not that that will apply to George's parts) that people slap on their restored Westy and then turn around and charge what could only be considered reasonable for an all-original example. How many people out there are going to scoop up the $200 windshield trim and turn around and sell it on eBay as "NOS" for twice that?

It's a double-edged sword for the community, in my humble opinion. And I think it "can" hurt the value of our cars in the long run.

No offense intended to George or Jake or anyone else, at all. Just something I was chewing on.

Reid

agree.gif

Thats why I was asking about the company. Chinese parts,not saying these are gonna be, need to stay in china. We need quality pieces being made, as with some of our vendors already. Not just something to fill the void of NLA.
Its also too bad some pieces dont carry the part #'s on them and we will never know if they are NOS or aftermarket.
ericread
QUOTE(Lavanaut @ Jul 2 2009, 11:20 AM) *

I'm all for "preserving the marquee" and absolutely commend the efforts of everyone out there making parts for our cars that are no longer available as OEM. That people step up to fill the void is awesome. BUT (flame suit on), I don't love the idea of flooding the market with aftermarket parts to be sold at a discount when OEM parts are still available.

Reid

This is an interesting post/thread. My first response to George's thread was similar. I have good, original front window trim. Why should some schmuck down the street get to make his car look just as good by purchasing newly manufactured replacement trim? Thenk I took a good look at my wheels. They are 4-lug Fuchs repros originally purchased at AutoAtlanta. Epiphany time...

I use my car as a DD. If I were looking to Concours my car, I might have a different opinion. But since I do use my car as a DD, I do, and will continue to need good quality replacement parts. And as these cars get older, many of us will continue to need these parts. So I can only hope that George and his associates are able to provide parts for us in the long, long future.

BTW: From a post on that "other" 914 site, the dude mentions that Bosch is looking to start manufacturing some OEM repalcement parts for our teeners. So maybe we are starting to get some attention from the market???

Eric Read driving.gif
tdiddy
I appreciate the efforts of the guys out there who are reproducing parts and keeping these cars alive and on the road.

As someone who wants to have a good looking car that I can drive and enjoy I really appreciate it, because they keep it as affordable as possible. The last thing I'm worried about is the "value" of my car, because there simply isn't any way I'll ever get back what I put into it monetary or otherwise.

All I can say is if it wasn't for the people out there still providing parts and engines etc, and providing the great technical and how-to services on their websites I wouldn't have a 914. So a big thank you to all of the vendors. I started my project with little to know experience at actually wrenching, and with the help of this board and the various vendors I've got a car that is coming together.
tat2dphreak
1) I'm not George's biggest fan... but if NLA parts become available at reasonable prices, and they are of good quality.. I'm all on board.

I'm not worried about resale value, as long as the part is of QUALITY.. most of what I've seen tho... the new runs of previously NLA or ultra expensive parts... have been as high of quality as the original(sometimes better than OEM) when done by members and people who care about these cars. the aforementioned rear targe holders were better rubber than the OEM part.

914 appearance and performance re-mfg fiberglass door panels that are vastly superior to the cardboard it replaced.

jwest eng, engman and others have made parts that not only restore our cars but improve on problems in the cars that weren't addressed 40 years ago...

all of the parts have been at reasonable prices as well!

THAT is the kind of quality/price that you are competing with, George. we are spoiled by the products of our members... including guys like Dr. Evil, Eric Shea, etc... who offer their services too.

it's a tall measuring stick... but if you pull it off, you might even get a few customers that wrote off AA years ago... however if it's chinese crap... well... take a guess

PS, I know I'm forgetting to mention a BUNCH of members here that put their heart and soul into getting products, events, services, advice etc to other members... but this is me saying thank you to ALL of those guys...
lotus_65
~wiring kits:
correct electrical wire and connectors for things like fog lights, License plate, seat belts, etc.
if it came with longer wire (for fitting) and connectors ready to assemble...

~grommet kit:
high quality replacement for every rubber grommet.

~someone makes dog bones, right?

thefleur
Tobra
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jul 1 2009, 05:58 PM) *

Properly made engine tin.
Specifically lower pieces....those are always missing..like socks.

High quality distributor clamp.
Early window handles the dont break.

Rich

It is not the handles, it is the regulators, in my experience.

Inside door handles

I would buy a set of SS heat exchangers for a reasonable price. I would even do mild steel and paint or powdercoat it.

You have to remember, 914 people are like drummers on the flakiness scale.

Bruce of the North makes dog bones
Jake Raby
There is a very fine line between success and failure when creating developments like we are discussing here..

Some group of people is going to bitch about anything they can.. If the products are made overseas and sold for less a group of people will bitch about where they come from.. If the products are US made the cost will be twice as much and a group of people will bitch about that (usually the group that can't afford them)...

So it's a situation of "Damned if you do, double damned if you don't"...

What matters most is effectiveness and testing of the components to gain a thorough understanding of what they offer.

ANYTHING that I am a part of will be thoroughly developed with known performance.. Just like my engines and cooling systems something like a heat exchanger will carry a serial number and will be logged to the original purchaser. I have always had a problem with people ripping things off and serialization stops the majority of problems.

I am not a fan of Chinese made components, but over time we have HAD to explore them. The problem with most of the Chinese or other offshore made parts is the fact that they are distributed by those that have no clue as to what the parts are supposed to look like or function like. The key to selling a quality component thats made overseas is to use these components first hand and to continue testing them as they are produced. It is possible to have a quality component manufactured in another country, but it takes effort and that effort drives the cost up a bit..

It truly is a double edged sword and no matter which way you decide to go, someone is going to get pissed off... Thats just the world today, welcome to it.
Katmanken
Amen about the Chinese stuff..

We hired a Chinese firm to make plastic parts for some medical products. Even with drawings and dimensions and CAD models, they couldn't hold the dimensions.... sad.gif mad.gif barf.gif

One day somebody explained to them that two of the parts they kept making wrong were supposed to go together.... idea.gif

They went OH!, So Sorry, didn't know they went together, we can fix that.... blink.gif

So WTF, they remade the tooling ( for the bazilionth time) and started making parts that went together and matched the print.

There is a saying in the military hardware business where you have MIL specs such as MIL-P-454G

the saying is ...

MIL-T-FP

Which stands for "Make It Like The F**king Print"
1970 Neun vierzehn
Correct center caps for these..............
tod914
There is a guy on ebay that makes billet versions. $89? I think. Also advertised on the Samba.
A&PGirl
Click to view attachment

The pieces circled for '72-'74 specific columns. A cheaper #3 made to the same quality of the other 2 parts would be nice too.
A&PGirl
-Front Turn Signal Housings
-Tail light housings
-Headlight housings
-All the late e-brake stuff
-Side shift rods

Metal body parts:

-R & L front fenders
-R & L front wheel housings
-R & L Hinge pillar (914 501 903 10 & 914 501 904 10)
-Front cross panels for early & late (914 502 031 12 & 914 502 031 13)
-Front panel between gas tank & trunk space for early & late (914 501 051 11)
-Front R & L headlight housing (914 502 041 11 & 914 502 042 11)
-Front Trunk floorpan
-' R & L Corner plate': frt floorpan reinforcement for a-arms (914 507 041 10 & 914 507 042 10)
-R & L 'separator for wheel housing cross panel front' early & late (914 501 115 10 & 914 501 116 10)
-Reinforcement for front axles (914 501 059 00, 914 501 057 00 & 914 501 164 10)
MDG
QUOTE(tod914 @ Jul 5 2009, 07:59 PM) *

There is a guy on ebay that makes billet versions. $89? I think. Also advertised on the Samba.

I know those as well; good, better than nothing, but not quite right, The shape is wrong.

I second some new center caps George; everyone with any of the factory alloys probably needs at least one; I need 4 and would probably buy 8
1970 Neun vierzehn
[quote name='MDG' date='Jul 5 2009, 05:53 PM' post='1188713']

[/quote]

I know those as well; good, better than nothing, but not quite right, The shape is wrong.

I second some new center caps George; everyone with any of the factory alloys probably needs at least one; I need 4 and would probably buy 8
[/quote]

agree.gif
jmill
Does anyone make the rubber circular plugs that go in the front panel behind the front bumper?
tod914
I'd go for the caps too. Couple sets.
orthobiz
QUOTE(tod914 @ Jul 6 2009, 03:13 PM) *

I'd go for the caps too. Couple sets.

I know I bought new OEM caps 2 yrs ago, are they now unavailable?

Paul
tod914
NLA Paul.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.