Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear main seal,
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SUNAB914
Just wanted to find out if the main seal goes flush or put it in as far as it will go? Been awhile since I replaced one.
Thanks
silverteener
i put mine in as far as it would go. there should be some shims behind it.

SUNAB914
Just to make sure everyone knows I'm talking about the rear main seal, the one the flywheel goes over. Yes there are shims on the crank, but I don't think that seal touches them.
DBCooper
It goes in all the way.
SUNAB914
Thanks DB
orange914
one thing i used to always look for when replacing HARDENED old seal is the surface that the rubber rides on gouges (hindering sealing). i don't know if type IV's have an issue eating into the smooth surface but at least inspect for it. 80's chevy axles have such an issue w/ that they make an offset seal. (so it'll seal on another area slightly over). they even make thin sleeves to renew the surface.

just my 02, something that could mess with a good seal job

mike
charliew
Same thing on hormonic balancers. The thing I hate about the chev replacement seal deal on the axles is the seals by themselves are not available, you gotta buy the entire bearing/seal kit to replace the seals.
r_towle
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Jul 3 2009, 03:42 PM) *

It goes in all the way.

Thats what she said.

R
DBCooper
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jul 3 2009, 09:13 PM) *

QUOTE(DBCooper @ Jul 3 2009, 03:42 PM) *

It goes in all the way.

Thats what she said.

R

You didn't really ask her that, did you? biggrin.gif
SUNAB914
She's back on the road. Thanks for the help.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.