Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The ongoing daily saga of the 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jsayre914
Valves were just adjusted, 1.8 with l-jet. Car has one bad studd on cylnder #2 and there is just one nut holding the heat exchanger on that one.

car has a terrible idle, has power untill you reach a hill, you have to let up off the pedal to maintain your speed. If you press down even a little you will loose speed, and need to downshift.

today, i notice a terrible knocking sound that statrted when the car did. i drove it to work and it runs just the same (good enough) but the knocking is still there. I pulled the wire off cylender # 2 and the knock goes away, engine stumble as it should. Plug it back and the knocking continues.

It gets better....

When i give it throttle from the engine bay to stop the engine from chocking i notice a puff of smoke comes out of the cylender # 3 hole in the tin. Every time i give it throttle smoke comes blowing out of #3 hole WTF.gif There is lotsa black oily residue all around that hole.

Is this a compound problem. Is it just because the exhaust is not hooked up to the head, what the %^&ck is that knocking sound??

Thanks and good day
beerchug.gif
VaccaRabite
Fix the stud on cylinder #2. The exhaust leak is not helping you. On your test ride last week I could hear it popping on every downshift. If I remember you just did not have a nut that fit it. True Value usually has a really good selection of metric nuts in different thread pitches.

You may have a head leak on #3. Have you done compression testing on this engine? Leakdown?

I am at home all this week. Drive the car over on Tuesday and we can check a few things. I just have to be on the road by 5:30pm for class, so it would need to be earlier in the day. I say Tuesday only because I think I remember that being your day off. Any day is fine, so long as we are done by 5pm - since I either have to get Theo from day care, or go to class in Baltimore.

I'm off to build my 914 engine, or else I would offer to come to you.

Zach
orange914
sounds like a leaking head seal. do you have he original copper head gaskets in? do a compression check
jsayre914
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Jul 5 2009, 02:52 PM) *

Fix the stud on cylinder #2. The exhaust leak is not helping you. On your test ride last week I could hear it popping on every downshift. If I remember you just did not have a nut that fit it. True Value usually has a really good selection of metric nuts in different thread pitches.

Mr. (speedy) Evil said the problem with the stud might be worse than that, i did not drive it today, i am putting it in the garage tommorow, my day off to take a look.

You may have a head leak on #3. Have you done compression testing on this engine? Leakdown?

Will also do a compression check tommorow

I am at home all this week. Drive the car over on Tuesday and we can check a few things.

You know i cant come over with the teener. It only has 2 seats idea.gif

thanks for the offer Zach. I will post the results tommorow, with some pics.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.