Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Final Straw
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
dinomium
So, I get the carbs synced, tuned and everything is purring along nicely. So I drive it about two blocks to the AmPm and then for a quick test run around the neighborhood...
About two blocks from home it starts sputtering coughing and losing power so I sort shift and limp up the hill. Now the car feels like it is coming apart and I am just trying to make it the last 200 yards home then WHAM! I get passed by my driver side rear wheel and coast to stop on the rotor 50 feet from my drive way!!!
ACK!!
Lower rear part of the fender smooshed, I think the tyre is cut as well... A couple bangs with the BFH and I get the wheel back on and limp it into the shop.

This car hates me and now I hate it back!
JoeSharp
Not like I have not had this happen too me , but who did the lugs? I have always been glad it makes some noise before it lets go.
dinomium
yup that would be this guy (thumbs pointed at me) I *thought* I had torqued them down, the other wheels were tight. I will be checking my attic for evil monkeys later tonight...
The bigger issue is I think the motor let go as well, big billowy clouds of blue smoke.
If that is the case, then I am done.
effutuo101
Ah Dino, if it wasn't for bad luck, you wouldn't have any. I have a very pretty part of a fender that I cut off of my car that you could weld right in and take care of those unsightly wrinkles....
dinomium
QUOTE(effutuo101 @ Jul 7 2009, 03:39 PM) *

Ah Dino, if it wasn't for bad luck, you wouldn't have any. I have a very pretty part of a fender that I cut off of my car that you could weld right in and take care of those unsightly wrinkles....

Thanks man, but at this point the only welding on cars I want to do is on my road racer...
effutuo101
I hear you. That really sucks.
Let me know if I can help. Sorta tight on time, but, you have a wonderful car that is just throwing you cruve balls.
There might be an extra motor laying around in somebody's garage that you could put in...I am sure a price goes with it, but, it would be a rocket.
dinomium
this car has spent so much time in the shop I could swear it was an Alfa! IF I do find the wherewithal to continue, it will be a six and flares since I am sure that driver side swing arm is toast...
Shade Tree
Talk about a bad day. I hope you bought beer while at the AM/PM.
carr914
I think that the only Happy 914 Owners are those with cars on jackstands dreaming of someday driving their cars.

Good Luck, Don't Give Up

T.C.
dinomium
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jul 7 2009, 05:31 PM) *

I think that the only Happy 914 Owners are those with cars on jackstands dreaming of someday driving their cars.

Good Luck, Don't Give Up

T.C.

that is SO true! The only thing saving this POS from Craigslist is the fact it is paid for! The parts on it are not, but the car itself is...
jmill
QUOTE(dinomium @ Jul 7 2009, 05:59 PM) *

this car has spent so much time in the shop I could swear it was an Alfa!

lol-2.gif I had one. I don't know what was broke worse, the car or me after paying for parts. I still remember selling it for a $3500 loss. Man, I was so happy to get rid of that thing.
messix
you and dave have the curse of living on the wrong side of the narrows bridge! headbang.gif lol-2.gif

sorry your getting b-effed by murphy...... that guy is a ass hat!
Dave_Darling
Ah, yes. I vividly remember getting out every two or three blocks to tighten the lug bolts with my fingers, as I had left all of my tools at home... I have never forgotten to tighten the lug bolts since that day!!

--DD
Gint
Come on... Am I the only one that laughed when they read that? av-943.gif

Sorry man. Keep pluggin away it it.
shelby/914
This is what it will look like after welding in the patch.

Click to view attachment

Exact same thing happeded to me. The kid at the Porsche shop forgot to torque them. Fortunately for me the owner saw the wheel fall off a few blocks from the shop as he was going to the bank. Kid no longer works there.

dinomium
QUOTE(Gint @ Jul 7 2009, 09:52 PM) *

yes, the wheel part is funny, the motor letting go not so much... if I have to source yet another engine, brakes, training arm and paint? All to have a car that is rusting from the inside out only to know something else is going to break, crack or ???
Add that to having be job hunting right now and missing races... I don't see an upside to continuing to throw cubic dollars at a 96hp rat hole
Dr Evil
You may have a point. We should keep you and 914s separated for the good of both parties tongue.gif
messix
i hear ugmo is still available......... stirthepot.gif
dinomium
QUOTE(messix @ Jul 8 2009, 12:20 AM) *

i hear ugmo is still available......... stirthepot.gif

Green car is worse off than Ugmo right now, Uggy has a front swaybar and somebody who loves him...
DNHunt
I sure hate to hear that Dino. Let me know if I can help. Smokey is sitting in the woodshed right now and you could certainly throw that in it for a while. I feel your pain, I've felt the same way a few times. I decided to keep at it but, I can't say that's the right thing for everybody. Maybe just let it sit for a while till you make up your mind. We guys work cheap, just beer and food.

Dave
Gint
QUOTE(dinomium @ Jul 7 2009, 11:58 PM) *
QUOTE(Gint @ Jul 7 2009, 09:52 PM) *

yes, the wheel part is funny, the motor letting go not so much... if I have to source yet another engine, brakes, training arm and paint? All to have a car that is rusting from the inside out only to know something else is going to break, crack or ???
Add that to having be job hunting right now and missing races... I don't see an upside to continuing to throw cubic dollars at a 96hp rat hole

I hear ya. And I feel for you... really.

Sell the POS, get a job, race a little, and then go buy a decent 96hp wheelbarrow.
914werke
Dino sad.gif if it will help I have a 1.7 sans induction that you can have to get running.
dinomium
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Jul 8 2009, 07:13 AM) *

Dino sad.gif if it will help I have a 1.7 sans induction that you can have to get running.

Thanks Rich, I have a 1.7 in my shop as well. It is the swing arm, hub, rotor, caliper, shock, wheel and tire that I don't have. headbang.gif

I appreciate all the offers for help and good vibes. The car will sit in my shop for now.
effutuo101
what kind of wheel Dino?
effutuo101
and which side?
dinomium
Fuch windmill 4 lug driver's side rear...
bobhasissues
QUOTE(dinomium @ Jul 7 2009, 02:38 PM) *

yup that would be this guy (thumbs pointed at me) I *thought* I had torqued them down, the other wheels were tight. I will be checking my attic for evil monkeys later tonight...
The bigger issue is I think the motor let go as well, big billowy clouds of blue smoke.

Restart that motor now that it's home. The smoke and noise was likely caused by the tire falling off and rubbing in the wheel well. Your engine may very well be fine.
dinomium
QUOTE(bobhasissues @ Jul 8 2009, 11:06 AM) *

QUOTE(dinomium @ Jul 7 2009, 02:38 PM) *

Restart that motor now that it's home. The smoke and noise was likely caused by the tire falling off and rubbing in the wheel well. Your engine may very well be fine.

There was a distinct loss of power first...
DNHunt
Maybe the wheel was rubbing before it came off.

dinomium
Most likely it was rubbing, and I want to try to stay positive here, but at the same time I am so tired of disappointments stemming from this car.
You guys have worked as hard as I have trying to get this car on the road. In the nearly 3 years, it has made two drives longer than a few miles.
The list of improbable events are:
Windshield slid out onto the hood
Ball Joint stem broke
Exhaust boss in head broke
wedge pin sheared of (somebody over torqued that one)
Headlight wiring loom melted (pre light upgrade)
Passenger door lock assemble disintegrated in my hand
Stripped taco plate screw
Stripped intake stud

Add the ripped interior, rust bubbles, sloppy shift linkage and more plus the current damage, I just don't think I have it in me to fix it all again just to have it back on Jack Stands in another six months.
6freak
QUOTE(dinomium @ Jul 8 2009, 09:48 AM) *

QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Jul 8 2009, 07:13 AM) *

Thanks Rich, I have a 1.7 in my shop as well. It is the swing arm, hub, rotor, caliper, shock, wheel and tire that I don't have. headbang.gif

I appreciate all the offers for help and good vibes. The car will sit in my shop for now.

Dino i have all that stuff if you want it and more ..come and get it ...complete 74 suspention front and back and its in pretty good shape! ask Jeff H mite just be a plug and play kinda deal...Just wanna help a brother out
Derek Seymour
I did the same thing just a few months ago. I was also the idiot to blame for it.
The swing arm and hub were okay I just flat spotted the rotor. Check it all out before you write off the hub, swingarm, shock etc. etc.
MrKona
Look on the bright side... if it weren't for the engine letting go, you could have lost that wheel at 60mph! Your poor car may have sacrificed its engine to save your life!
DNHunt
That's a pretty impressive list, Dino. I can see why you are frustrated. I'm sure you'll come up with a solution that's right for you. Holler if we can help.

Dave
Jake Raby
Who's gonna win?? You or the engine?

It has no brain. Beat it.
dinomium
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Jul 8 2009, 12:39 PM) *

I also has not job or wallet!!
6freak
QUOTE(dinomium @ Jul 8 2009, 12:56 PM) *

every thing i have is yours free ...even a tired old 1.8 that i was told ran when removed from the car and transplanted back into the one i just cut up ..and one wheel as well with good rubber
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(dinomium @ Jul 8 2009, 11:56 AM) *

Then you have plenty of time to install the parts that people have offered biggrin.gif

And plenty of help if you need it.
PanelBilly
I'll throw in my time and talents to getting this car on the road again. Keep in mind that might add a few years to the completion date, but I'll help.

effutuo101
QUOTE(6freak @ Jul 8 2009, 01:00 PM) *

QUOTE(dinomium @ Jul 8 2009, 12:56 PM) *

every thing i have is yours free ...even a tired old 1.8 that i was told ran when removed from the car and transplanted back into the one i just cut up ..and one wheel as well with good rubber

Hiya Dino,

I was working on sourcing a rear sub structure for you and have to make a call tonight.
If the parts are free, I can haul them out to you maybe Saturday. Maybe bring somebody else to help put it back together. I will even bring the beer. name your cool aid.
Have a look at my cool piston!

Chris
effutuo101
You car is like Stitch.
It's evil is higher than it's good. We can fix that.
DNHunt
I can certainly help. Name a time.
effutuo101
as long as you don't have one of these....
dinomium
You guys are TOOO MUCH!
I thank again for the outpouring of support! I will be in touch...
messix
i think i have a drivers side caliper thats is useable.

for one million dolars!

free to you Dino!
dinomium
If I had a Million Dollars
I Would buy you a K car
if I HAD a MiLLION DoLLArs
A nice reliant automobile!
and IF I had a Million Dollars
I would buy you some art
Like a Picasso or a Garfunkel
effutuo101
but instead you bought a dress? a blue dress? or you'd be rich.
dinomium
QUOTE(effutuo101 @ Jul 9 2009, 12:20 PM) *

but instead you bought a dress? a blue dress? or you'd be rich.

but not a real green dress, that's cruel!

beerchug.gif
DBCooper
Dresses? DRESSES? What the hell are you people talking about? Off topic O.K., but please don't tell me you're going THERE.
dinomium
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Jul 9 2009, 04:11 PM) *

Dresses? DRESSES? What the hell are you people talking about? Off topic O.K., but please don't tell me you're going THERE.

It is a riddle of sorts wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.