Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Drilling and Tapping for Exhaust Studs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nebreitling
well, i screwed the pooch on this one.

long story short: while re-attaching the HE's to the heads, i stripped 3 exhaust studs at the head. i swear i didn't even put 12lbs of torque on the little bastards, maybe they were just tired. in any case, i've got an exhaust leak at the head (1 and 3), which leaves me with a little project. and,

i don't know how to drill and tap the heads. has anyone done this? would someone be so kind as to guide me through the process? what studs are needed, etc.? my hand drill is charged and awaiting your instructions.... thanks

beerchug.gif

nathan

p.s. i used new copper exhaust gaskets, and took care that they were properly seated in the exhaust ports, so i don't think that's problem. the car is a '75 with the (shitty) late-style exhaust. if anyone has a header for sale, i'm interested.
garyh
Let's hope you have a 2.0.

Get yourself over to High Performance House, and buy some "1.8" exhaust studs from Rich.

He'll tell you how to put them in. (Poke Brad while you're there, IF you can run fast!)

(For the ROW: the 2.0 stud is M8 at both ends. The 1.8 stud is M9 on the engine side.)

If you don't have a 2.0, he can get you some studs that are M10 on the other end.

G.
nebreitling
yeah, 2.0 thanks for the reply

i'll swing by HPH, then. Rich sold me the exhaust gaskets, and even warned me, "not too tight on those exhaust studs". oh well...

here's a pic of the sad patient...
ppickerell
If the heads are off the car, you can bring them to my shop with a six pack and I can do them.
garyh
QUOTE(ppickerell @ Mar 5 2004, 05:37 PM)
If the heads are off the car, you can bring them to my shop with a six pack and I can do them.

If he's putting the exhaust back on, they probably are on the motor.

Hey, where in Pleasanton? I've got a couple little jobs....
nebreitling
Patrick, thanks for the kind offer. incidently, i'm trying to get this car running smoothly for the mines rd trip!!!
steve@ottosvenice.com
The best Exhaust stud is to use a VW rabbit Diesel Exhaust stud they are 10 x 54 x 8 with a nice flat ridge that bottoms out when you tighten it down. Steve
rhodyguy
if you size up on the studs mark the depth on the drill bit with some tape. you don't want to go too deep.

kevin
bob174
I got some studs from Otto that were one size up on the bottom, 9mm iirc, (the part threading into the head) and then just ran a 9mm tap into the hole--didn't even drill it out first. The top end of the stud was the original diameter. Worked like a champ.
ppickerell
Pleasanton is in the east bay about 1 hr from San Mateo. I assumed there was broken stud still in the heads. Scott and I are running Mines tomorrow to check for washouts, boulders, and maybe to spank a few ricers (Just kidding). Anyone interested bring a camera and meet us at the north Livermore exit off HWY 580 off the shoulder on the north side of the overpass. Secret decoder ring and handshake not required. You need not have seen #4 in person to attend.
ppickerell
Sorry, meet time 1:30 PM, although would'nt this road be fun to do in the middle of the night?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.