Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Event "T" Shirts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Events Forum > Past Event Planning Threads
Pages: 1, 2, 3
rick 918-S
This topic was in another Thread. I felt it was important enough to start a main topic of discussion.
VegasRacer
I think it was decided that the Club was not going to do any official WCC shirt. It was left open if some entrepreneur wanted to step forward and take on the risk (and profit).
seanery
I'm working on it.
rick 918-S
Cool. Sometimes info gets lost when posted under different topics.
VegasRacer
QUOTE(seanery @ Mar 5 2004, 07:32 PM)
I'm working on it.

Sean - Are you still working on getting shirts?
I recently got some nice custom embroidered ones for another club I belong to. The cost was $15 each. I could take on the task of getting some for the WCC if asked.

LMK,
John
seanery
There was a box on the WCC entry form about shirts. I haven't heard a # yet. Time is quickly running out on the possibility. Since I won't be able to make it, I'd need some help distributing them.
VegasRacer
The box on the registration from was for IF shirts were available.

Sean - Do you have something lined up?

For the custom embroidered ones I can get, the minimun order is 6. A firm commitment or pre-payment would be necessary. They are nice polo shirts. Production time is 3 weeks.
seanery
I have a company that will do them T-Shirts. Min Qty 100.
JeffBowlsby
Virtually eveyone who has signed up has indicated they would purchase at least one shirt and some want 2-3 each. We have 30 total people signed up at the moment and I fully expect to get the vast majority of registrations next week. It would vote for really nice quality shirts maybe embriodered? vs the standard printed shirts if it can be accomplished. I have the contact info for a local (San Jose) vendor if needed.

I have all the specific data on quantity and sizes needed from the reg forms, but am waiting on a firm total, after registration closes (one week). I would love it if someone could get the ducks in line now (artwork [event logo?], pricing, vendor) to place an order in about a week and have shirts ready to distribute at the Breakfast.
VegasRacer
The vendor that I have done business with recently has a variety of colors available for custom embroiderd shirts.

Anvil brand 7.1 oz 100% cotton is available in white, natural, ash, grey, black, ivy, navy, royal blue and red.

Hanes brand 5.5 oz 50/50 poly/cotton is available in white, ash, steel, black, cardinal, red, maroon, forest, royal, navy, purple and orange.

The price on my last order for 20 shirts was $15 each.
What I had in mind was something like this.
rick 918-S
Very nice!
Demick
Very nice! I think you'd have no problem selling those. Much better than a T-shirt.
seanery
Run with it John, I'm out.
VegasRacer
I have contacted my source and started the ball rolling.
Is this the logo design that we want to use?
Which of the shirt styles and colors would be the best?
Do we want the logo in red or some different color?

The top 4 colors are the 100% cotton shirts.
The second row of 3 are the 50/50 options.
I did a mock-up on a red shirt, but I think it works better on a lighter color.

I got a quote for 50 shirts. $11.38 each plus @ $30 for shipping.
We can mix and match on the shirt colors if we want.
JeffBowlsby
Most excellent J-Man. So what...$15 at the door including tax, distributed at the Breakfast?

The red logo works with the identity of the meet...I think it looks great on the lighter color shirts too as well as the black logo/red shirt combination. Is the logo multiocolored with teh balck boder and lettering or is it monochromatic? Are these embroidered or painted logos?

Is there time enough to get them complete and delivered for the meet?

Tell me what date you need the exact sizes/quantities by and I will email them to you. Depending on what happens this next week, we may need more than 50. This last week everyone will register who has held-out til now.
Demick
$15 is a bargain!

I agree that the lighter color shirts work better - especially if the logo is 2 color (red and black) just like you showed in the first sample.

One more thing against the red shirt - many people will want to wear their shirts the following day after they get them, which happens to be the autoX. Wearing red at an autox is generally considered a no-no because they can be confused with red flags. If we make the shirts in red, we will have lots of 'red flags' running around the autox course.

Looks great!

Demick
VegasRacer
The logo is embroidered. It would be the red/black 2 color design just like in bowlsby's avatar (as designed by Jeroen). Our true cost would be $12 each (+ or minus a penny or two). We could sell them for $15 or $20 (depending if the club wants/needs to make some $$'s to fund the WCC) and pass them out at breakfast. For $20 or $25 they could be mailed to anybody who wants one, or do we want to make them available only to people who attend the WCC?

The vendor said that they could have them in my hands 2 - 3 weeks after the order is place. I do not want to cut it to close. Give me the exact final count and sizes by noon on Thursday May 6th.

They do need to be paid for in advance. I can do this, but I do not want to get screwed on this deal. If anybody says they want one, they better pay for it.

White is also available in either the 100% cotton and 50/50 blend.
JeffBowlsby
John...I need to evaluate this a little more...but I *think* I can swing a single shirt per principal registrant for the goodie bag. The good part is that I already have the money from the Reg fees, so there is no risk on those shirts. The remaining shirts indicated on the reg form could be done as a money maker and paid for directly at the event. I would suggest only making up enough to reasonably sell at the event. They probably wont sell beyond the event, so its not worth the risk.

The event $$$ are really tight, but I plugged a number into the budget to cover a Rallye Shield and it looks like that may dematerialize, freeing up those funds for an event shirt. Lets talk some more about this in the next week if you are interested. It would solve what to do with those funds and minimize your risk.
Demick
I just looked at all of my golf style shirts, and every single one (I've got at least 20 or more) was 100% cotton (I was surprised, I had no idea). So that seems to be more common, so I'd vote for the 100% cotton shirts.

As for color, I would vote not for white since us 914 guys tend to get our hands dirty and that usually ends up somewhere on our shirts. So off-white or grey or tan or whatever would be better than plain white.

Just my .02

Demick
Jenny
Will those be available in S, or dare I ask, XS? I know these are all mens sizes, and truth be told, any and all event shirts I own end up becoming pajamas because they're ridiculously big on me.

Jen
VegasRacer
Sorry to hear that the Rally Shields may be dropped.
That was one item I was really looking forward to.
I hope there is a way we can still make them a reality.

There is no real rush on the shirts (yet).
We have 2 weeks to decide how we are going to handle it.

I agree that white is not the best choice for a shirt color.
I like the Natural best. Ash would also be fine.

The sizes range from Small to 2-XL in the 100% cotton and Small to 4-XL in the 50/50.
There are also kids sizes available in the Ash color.
There is a 100% cotton womens style (pictured below) available in Small to 3-XL in white and Lemonade.
Jeroen
These shirts are great!!!
Hope we can pull this off

Remember, either me or Sean can e-mail the logo in computer format to the shirt company

cheers,

Jeroen
VegasRacer
The shirt company will want us to send them the art in .jpeg or .bmp format. I have the 750 x 462 .gif that you first posted. I can easily change the file type.

On my previous order with this company I had some small type as part of the proposed logo. They suggested that I remove or enlarge it due to the limited technology of the embroidery process. I think we may have this same problem with the small '1' in the top right of the design. I can cut/paste erase/color to remove it, or do you think it would be better to enlarge it? (I think it might also be best to leave out the bar code at the bottom.)
Jeroen
Just ask them how big/which dpi they want the pic
We could easily drop the (1) and the bar-code
Tell them I can also send them a file in .eps format if that makes their life easier

Lemme know and I'll produce what ever is needed

cheers,

Jeroen
Jeroen
Oh... and reserve me a shirt please (size L)
biggrin.gif

cheers,

Jeroen
Jeroen
If we do sponsored t-shirts, how much money is involved?
2 color logo on the front and sponsors in 1 color printed on the back
Say 100 shirts?

cheers,

Jeroen
seanery
see other thread for tshirt costs.
seanery
I just looked at my shirt quotes.
They will do an embroidered polo for $7.50 each (qty of 25) and a setup fee of $270. This may work out to be cheaper than John's guy. These folks are also in the bay area.
VegasRacer
QUOTE(seanery @ Apr 29 2004, 04:44 AM)
This may work out to be cheaper than John's guy.

The price break point is 60, if all other things are equal.
Less than 60 - my guy is cheaper.
More than 60 - Sean's source is the way to go.
Jeroen
Hey Vegas, I agree. But with Seans option, we can print sponsors on the back of the shirt...
Mo sponsors = mo money = free shirts for all

cheers,

Jeroen
Jeroen
Embroided shirts = no sponsors on the shirt, right?

cheers,

Jeroen
seanery
I think we could sell the embroidered shirts for some profit. I don't know how many would sell, though. I'm sure others would buy them after the fact from the website, but don't have an idea for how many.
Jeroen
Ok, here's my view.

It looks like we can do the printer t-shirts right now.
One (or maybe even two?) of these shirts would be free per car
These shirts are paying themselves through the sponsors
And they will allow us to attrack more sponsors

I'm sure we can get more sponsors interested in the shirt than we need to pay for the shirts. That surplus could be used to invest in embroided polo's which could be sold at the event and through the website.

So, bottom of the line. Do the printed t-shirts first.
Depending on how many sponsors we can get on those, we can deside on the embroided polo's after that...

cheers,

Jeroen
Demick
One thing to consider on the nicer, embroiderd shirts is that it is possible to add a sponsor to that shirt as well. We could embroider the sponsor's name/logo on the right or left sleeve of the shirt (just a small logo). I'm sure you have all seen this done on other shirts. It's a way to get a sponsor for the shirts but still have a nice, classy looking polo type shirt. This would add to the cost of having the shirts made up, and since we can only have one sponsor for the shirt, the price should cover at least half the cost of the shirt (in my opinion). So sponsor price for that would probably need to be in the $300-$500 range.

Of course, if everyone is already getting a WCC t-shirt, I don't know how many people would buy a polo shirt. I know I would. Last thing I need is another t-shirt, but a nice polo shirt that I can wear to work would appeal to me.

Just an idea. Take it for what it's worth.

Demick
seanery
my full 2cents. I've given you all pieces of it earlier. It agrees with Jeroen basically.

T-Shirts-Sponsor payed (1 per registration) so if I registered myself and a girlfriend (I know, dream on) that would be 2 T-Shirts.

Polo Shirts-money maker club funder. I'm cool with selling a spot to a sponsor, but that will drive the cost up, maybe as much as 25%. Sell these for cost + % and everyone is happy.
VegasRacer
agree.gif

I think we should do a sponsor paid t-shirt so we could all look like walking bill-boards plus a classy embroidered polo shirt. I will check with my source to see if it is possible for them to do a 2nd logo on the sleeve and what the cost would be.
Jeroen
Good to see we all agree!
I will do another "sponsor round" a little later tonight and keep ya posted with the results

Should I go for $100 a spot on the t-shirt?

cheers,

Jeroen
seanery
I'd say get as much as they are willing to pay. That's a tough one to figure. You could offer a couple higher dollar spots with larger logos and the rest a tad bit smaller for a tad bit less.

ideas, comments, suggestions?
Demick
What exactly was Dave's (GPR) offer for T-shirts? Were these simply GPR T-shirts for everyone, or was he offering to be a sponsor on a T-shirt, or was he offering to cover the entire cost of t-shirts (sole sponsor). Since he made the initial offer, we probably should follow up on that first. If he is offering to be the sole t-shirt sponsor, he may not want to be one of many sponsors on a shirt. We just ought to be careful and polite with the handling of sponsors, and since Dave made some sort of initial t-shirt offer, we should follow through with that before getting too far into additional t-shirt sponsors.

Demick
VegasRacer
QUOTE(VegasRacer @ Apr 29 2004, 07:53 AM)
I will check with my source to see if it is possible for them to do a 2nd logo on the sleeve and what the cost would be.

I got a reply from my embroidered polo shirt people.
They said it would cost an additional $6 per shirt to add a 2nd logo on the sleeve.
Jeroen
Dave (GPR) offered t-shirts for each entry. The whole t-shirt idea hasn't been mentioned to any of the sponsors.

Here is his original e-mail:

I would love to help out. I can give away a t-shirt for every person
enrolled and give some door prizes etc.. Tell me where to send the stuff!

Dave/GPR

So basically, he'd benefit twice. People will get a GPR t-shirt and an event t-shirt with a GPR logo (and the logo's of other sponsors)

cheers,

Jeroen
Demick
OK. So Dave's offer was for GPR shirts for each entry, and that in no way affects or creates any conflicts with a WCC specific shirt (sponsored or otherwise). Just wanted to make sure.

Demick
seanery
yay-rah, that sounds good!
VegasRacer
1 free GPR t-shirt. (Thanks Dave)

1 t-shirt of our design, with sponosor logos and paid for by their donations.

1 classy embroidered polo shirt. Either for sale of subusidized by us.

To much?
Demick
The only question is the embroiderd shirt. That one is a risk because it is hard to predict how many people will purchase it after having already gotten 2 other complimentary shirts.

If we are going to do it, I think that it probably needs to be at least partially sponsored as well.

Without being partially sponsored, we would need to sell the shirts for at least $15 and sell almost all of them to basically break even. If we sell them for $20, then you have to sell about 3/4 of the shirts to break even, but because of the higher price, fewer people will buy them. Because of the 2 other free shirts, I think the risk is too high that we will lose money with this route.

If we get the shirts at least partially sponsored (say 1/2 of shirt cost is paid by a sponsor), we can either sell the shirts cheap ($7-$8) ensuring that many people will buy them because they are cheap (expecting a near sellout). Or sell them at a higher cost ($15-$17)), but because the profit margin is higher, our break even point is fewer than 1/2 of the shirts, but with the up side of turning a profit if enough sell.

All profits of course go toward funding of future WCC events.

Demick
VegasRacer
Near the bottom of page 1 of this thread Jeff mentioned the option of using money he had budgeted for the Shields could be directed towards the Polo shirts. Much has happened since that post but I guess that option still remains. If we do go ahead with the embroidered shirts, I think we should take on as little risk as possible. If we are going to charge extra for them, they should be done on a pre-paid or reservation basis only. Our minimun order only has to be 6 shirts. It would be nice to be able to at least offer them to the people who are really interested. $12 each would be the actual production cost. Anything about that would be profit.
seanery
I think we can sell 5-8 polo shirts after the fact on the BBS. I think $15-20 is fair.
JeffBowlsby
There is no event funding for the shirts in the Reg fees whether they be Ts or Polos, so either a sponsor covers the whole cost, or they go on sale to participants at the event.

If GPR will cover the entire cost Great! They would then have sole representation on the shirts.

Nearly everyone signed up so far wants a shirt, several want more than one. I have not added the quantities up but I bet the total is currently something like 75-80 shirts requested to date.
VegasRacer
This is all spinning kinda fast. I want to be sure we are all on the same page.

Does GPR have existing shirts that they are going to donate or are they talking about us creating a WCC t-shirt that they would sponsor?
Demick
The quote from Dave at the top of this page indicates that he has GPR shirts. But it is not entirely clear. Since Jeroen has been in contact with him, it would probably be best for him to clarify with Dave what exactly he is offering.

Demick
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.