Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How do you use an End Play tool
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
VaccaRabite
I got an end play tool, and I can't figure out how it works.

It clearly bolts to the flange, I am guessing over the flywheel. But how do you use it to measure flywheel endplay? It just came with the tool, no instructions.

Zach
VaccaRabite
One of these tools:
IPB Image
jimkelly
i think you put a guage on it and mount it to the block - with the guage touching the end of the crank. to measure the play in the crank with flywheel not yet installed? by tapping lightly on the ends on the crank - in order to determine if you have enough shims in there?? maybe with yours you just use a feeler guage or mic to measure gap??
qa1142
tap flywheel towards the tool.

set the bold to just touch flywheel.

Tap play the other direction and measure the gap with feeler gauges
URY914
endplaytool.com
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(qa1142 @ Jul 11 2009, 08:55 AM) *

tap flywheel towards the tool.

set the bold to just touch flywheel.

Tap play the other direction and measure the gap with feeler gauges

Ah-HAH!

Thanks
Zach
ME733
agree.gif beerchug.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif Its the feeler guage type of end play tool. bye1.gif
charliew
It's for guys that only use feeler gauges. If you can get a dial indicator mounted it is really easier to use. The feeler gauge is as most know a matter of feel and tight to one is not tight to another and if any lubricant is involved is really a relative thing sorta like another thing about tight or loose and the amount of lubrication needed. Course the tighter it is the harder it is to get it in, er the gauge.
aircooledtechguy
Actually the new end-play tools like the one pictured have a 1.0mm thread pitch on the screw, so each 1/4 turn is .25mm. No feeler gauges needed.

I've never trusted that though. I use a dial indicator exclusively on my motor builds.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.