Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Most uninteresting progress thread ever!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
RoadGlue
type.gif

Sylvie and I are embarking on a week + long road trip from Santa Rosa to San Diego and back starting Aug 17th. It's going to be a coastal trip down so hopefully we won't bake too much.

I thought it would be fun to document all the last minute improvements, fixes and at the same time create a list to help me keep track of everything that needs to get done before we leave.

The car is a marathon blue '74 2.0, one owner from '74 - 2008, 340,000 fully documented miles and is in generally original condition. Since I purchased it last summer I've only rebuilt the distributor, switched it over to Pertronix ignition, purchased a new battery, installed the elephant racing poly bronze bushing in the rear (with new wheel bearings), completed a general tune up and installed new charcoal gray German loop carpeting. Oh, and Mark DeBernardi fixed a broken trunk and engine lid hinge. Er, and I also had a four wheel alignment a few months ago as well.

Here's the to-do list:

- Install injector seals, manifold gaskets, runner tubes - Complete
- Fix seeping fuel leak around fuel tank filler neck - Complete
- Repack front wheel bearings - Complete
- Install front brake pads - Complete
- Fix passenger outer door latch - Complete
- Replace driver's window crank - Complete
- Inspect cooling flaps for correct operation - Complete
- Rebuild pedal cluster with bronze bushings - Complete
- Valve Adjustment - Complete
- Install amp, foot well sub, speaker pods, wiring - Complete
- Install new clutch cable - Complete
- Inspect fuel lines for cracks and damage - Complete
- Oil change - Complete
- Need new spare tire - Might not happen
- Should rebuild CVs using PMB Performance kits - Will not happen
- Inspect spark plugs for correct mixture
- Fire Extinguisher - In possession
- Get replacement 2.0 badge

That's all I can think of right now. I'll update this thread with photos and details as work is completed. Like I said, "most uninteresting progress thread ever!"
RoadGlue
So I'm running Falken Azenis RT-615 205/55/15 tires and I want to get a low profile, skinny spare that has roughly the same diameter as the RT-615. Think cheap! Any ideas?
RoadGlue
Mark, can I powder coat my pedals over at your shop next week? You have a powder coating rig, right? smile.gif
RoadGlue
Here's our route -
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source....269043&z=6

We'll be in Santa Monica for a few days too and I'd love to meet up with some of the SoCal crew Thurs the 20th. Maybe for dinner and drinks in downtown Santa Monica? Anyone interested?
RoadGlue
QUOTE(RoadGlue @ Jul 21 2009, 10:33 PM) *

So I'm running Falken Azenis RT-615 205/55/15 tires and I want to get a low profile, skinny spare that has roughly the same diameter as the RT-615. Think cheap! Any ideas?

OK, so the cheapest non-snow tire I could find on Tire Rack was this:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...romCompare1=yes

It's a 175/65R15, which is about the same circumference as the RT-615. Maybe I should swing by Costco to see if they have something cheaper. It's just a spare, right?
RoadGlue
So I've got a great little four channel Soundstream amp (identical to what I have in my other '74 2.0). I use the two front channels for the mid/highs and then bridge the back two for the sub. I already have an 8" Oz audio sub that I'll put in Morph's 8" foot well enclosure, and I'm thinking seriously about purchasing these mids for the pods:
http://www.woofersetc.com/p3946/165CA1--Fo...al-Speakers.htm

They get good reviews and are a good bang for the buck.
McMark
Randy, we can do the powdercoating. thumb3d.gif
Plus, I have Brad Penn 20/50 (just got a case) if you're interested in some.
1970 Neun vierzehn
Make sure there's a fire extinguisher (Halon, hopefully) in the cabin with you.

Yes, take pics of your odyssey.
914four
QUOTE(RoadGlue @ Jul 22 2009, 01:26 AM) *

type.gif

Like I said, "most uninteresting progress thread ever!"

Sounds like a very exciting adventure. Be sure to post pics along the way or when you return.
RoadGlue
QUOTE(McMark @ Jul 22 2009, 12:44 PM) *

Awesome Mark! What day next week works for you?

We can talk about the oil then, unless it's all gone by then. smile.gif
RoadGlue
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Jul 22 2009, 02:14 PM) *

Make sure there's a fire extinguisher (Halon, hopefully) in the cabin with you.

Yes, take pics of your odyssey.

Great idea! I'll add it to the list. smile.gif
RoadGlue
QUOTE(PH1 @ Jul 22 2009, 02:59 PM) *

Sounds like a very exciting adventure. Be sure to post pics along the way or when you return.

Me, take photos? That's craziness!

I'll take a few... thousand, for sure. smile.gif
Chris Pincetich
Go Randy! beerchug.gif
I am very interested in where/who completed the 4-wheel alignment on your 914. I need this for post suspension replacement AX prep. I would appreciate as much info as possible, especially the cost.
jgara962
QUOTE(RoadGlue @ Jul 22 2009, 04:06 PM) *

QUOTE(McMark @ Jul 22 2009, 12:44 PM) *

Awesome Mark! What day next week works for you?

We can talk about the oil then, unless it's all gone by then. smile.gif

Don't worry, there's plenty of oil on his floor... biggrin.gif
McMark
I'm working Tues-Sat, and any day you want is yours. biggrin.gif
Cap'n Krusty
What, no planned stop in Santa Maria? Breakfast, lunch, or dinner on the Cap'n. Your call. Mighty fine Santa Maria Barbecue around here, although maybe not for breakfast ................................

The Cap'n
RoadGlue
Thanks John! We're staying at a small two-room B&B in Cambria and they're making us an awesome breakfast. I'll let you know when we get closer to the takeoff date if we have time to stop in Santa Maria for a visit. Thanks for the invite!
RoadGlue
QUOTE(McMark @ Jul 22 2009, 05:58 PM) *

I'm working Tues-Sat, and any day you want is yours. biggrin.gif

You rock! I have two pedal assemblies that I need to take apart. You don't have a blast cabinet yet, right? I'll just take 'em over to Soren and will prep 'em there.
RoadGlue
QUOTE(ChrisNPDrider @ Jul 22 2009, 04:03 PM) *

Go Randy! beerchug.gif
I am very interested in where/who completed the 4-wheel alignment on your 914. I need this for post suspension replacement AX prep. I would appreciate as much info as possible, especially the cost.

http://www.customalignment.com/ - Mountain View, CA

These guys are pros and they deal with nothing but performance alignments. They know 914s and they'll ask you all sorts of good questions regarding what you're using the car for, what type of driving style, etc. I think I paid around three bills for my alignment.

Oh, and make sure you bring shims. smile.gif
McMark
Blaster is up and working. thumb3d.gif
RoadGlue
Picked up a couple of pedal assemblies from Dug Wright this week. My only spare set is buried someplace and was really rusty if I remember correctly. Dug's are in better shape and I'm going to disassemble and powder coat a set for him at the same time I'm doing the set for my car.

Mark, I may just take these over to Soren's shop to blast them and then just come to your shop for the powder coating. That way I can spread the rebuild over a few more days and not eat into my real job/work time.

Here are a few shots of the pedal assemblies as they look now:

IPB Image

IPB Image

I have the bushings, so now it's just a matter of time.
RoadGlue
I spent an hour or so cleaning the garage this morning in preparation for all the work I'll be doing. I've been neglecting it for months and I hate working within a bunch of clutter. I got enough junk put away and pushed to one side that I could actually see and work on top of my galvanized steel work bench. smile.gif

Yellow is jealous, but she gets to sit outside so I can have more room in the garage while working on Blue.

IPB Image

What a dirty mess!
IPB Image

Oh the grime:
IPB Image

IPB Image

RoadGlue
Purchased some a new plug wire set, as the Bosch set was again too short. I'm through with Bosch wires, but I'm probably on the late boat there. Also have all new fuel line, injector seals, a lot of degreaser and a number of bits to freshen things up. This is purely a utilitarian task and I'm not spending any time painting and restoring.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
RoadGlue
I can't wait to pull the motor next year and really freshen up the engine compartment. It doesn't do the rest of the car justice being so ugly.

Before degrease:
IPB Image

Mid-way through:
IPB Image

I see blue!
IPB Image

My hi-tech drying rack:
IPB Image

RoadGlue
I was happy to find that the plenum was crack free.
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Back in the car - I had the TPS apart under a year ago and at that time also rebuilt the dizzy and thoroughly cleaned the throttle body.
IPB Image

RoadGlue
Throttle body and butterfly:
IPB Image

Intake Runner Tubes - It's funny, at full size it looks like the fabric has some type of resin on it.
IPB Image

New intake manifold gaskets to replace the spacers that had no gasket material on them (that is unless you count RTV):
IPB Image

Injectors:
IPB Image
RoadGlue
I forgot to post the pics of the old seals and gaskets. Oh well, maybe I'll post those below out of order.

Injector:
IPB Image

I kill those who use screw type fuel clamps:
IPB Image

You probably hate me for using braided hose. At least I replaced the bad clamps, right?
IPB Image

Degreased!
IPB Image

RoadGlue
A few misc pics from today:

Magnetic Parts Tray Fun:
IPB Image

I'd love to blame the DPO for this, but he had a shop do all the work to this car since '74. No gasket material, and it wasn't on the heads or manifolds:
IPB Image

Close up of the gasket:
IPB Image

Old injector seal:
IPB Image
RoadGlue
You're such a hose:
IPB Image

Relay board cover bolt:
IPB Image

Bought a new coil today too. This is the old one:
IPB Image

Heading home from Dug's house last Thursday. This was on the 101 just south of SFO:
IPB Image
RoadGlue
Had to stop work for a few days. Went camping at Angel Island over the weekend and had an allergic reaction to something I ate. My uvula ballooned to four times its normal size and I've felt like garbage ever since.

Here's a pic for your viewing pleasure:(nevermind, it's gross - sorry Mark!)

Mmmm, tasty!

Feeling a lot better this evening so I started on the car again. Got the fuel rails/injectors and fuel line back in, reattached the ECU and got the new coil in. Broke the throttle cable end while reinstalling it. Darn it!

That's it tonight.
McMark
barf.gif
icon8.gif
RoadGlue
Yeah, I've removed the pic. Yuck!
McMark
I saw the thumbnail on your Flickr and thought "there's a pic I don't need to look at"
And you STILL got me with it.

Oh, and I don't recommend the poison ivy slaw.
RoadGlue
QUOTE(McMark @ Jul 29 2009, 10:56 PM) *

Oh, and I don't recommend the poison ivy slaw.

agree.gif
Hammy
Man.. I wanna see poke.gif
Ferg
Cool Thread!

You pretty much have the "close up" photo thing nailed, very nice!

Ferg
RoadGlue
Started on the two pedal assemblies yesterday, one for myself and one for Dug Wright.

IPB Image

Dirty, rusty:
IPB Image

Looks like a nail, and it probably is. I used a read punch as well:
IPB Image

Using my dad's old press:
IPB Image
RoadGlue
Straight enough, right? smile.gif
IPB Image

I wonder how many of your pedal bushings look like this?
IPB Image

Pretty typical looking:
IPB Image

Both pedal assemblies torn down:
IPB Image
RoadGlue
On the way to Soren's shop to use his jet washer and blasting cabinet.
IPB Image

Washed:
IPB Image

Blasted. I just love media blasting. Really! It's relaxing, if not just a little noisy:
IPB Image

Soren's shop:
IPB Image
RoadGlue
Still ugly, but cleaner! Think I'll kill the rust on the battery try before I wrap this up.
IPB Image

I could really new a new injection harness, but they're just too much $$ right now.
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
RoadGlue
IPB Image
RoadGlue
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

RoadGlue
New plug wires:
IPB Image

New meets old:
IPB Image

Pretty much with this stage. Took her around the block and she felt great. I can't say I notice an improvement, but this was mostly just to give me peace of mind for the upcoming trip:
IPB Image
RoadGlue
I've been bad about keeping this updated.

Fuel tank filler neck "washer" was bent, so I straightened it, cleaned all the mating surfaces and I think I fixed the leak there:
IPB Image

Mark and I powder coated the pedal assemblies:
IPB Image

IPB Image

His big ass oven:
IPB Image
RoadGlue
Finished:
IPB Image

Close up of the pedal surface:
IPB Image

IPB Image

RoadGlue
The car has been marking its spot and smoking a lot lately, and it looked like it was leaking at the valve cover gasket:
IPB Image

Yep, the shop that the original owner had been bringing the shop to likely reused the gaskets about twenty times (well, maybe not quite that much). They were brittle and covered in RTV (grrrrrrrr):
IPB Image

Almost every valve was tight too. No wonder she ran so quietly! More grrrrrr:
IPB Image

Ahhh, much better:
IPB Image
RoadGlue
Here's my home brew method for locking a rear wheel while adjusting my valves:
IPB Image

More RTV (not for the faint of heart):
IPB Image

Tasty!
IPB Image

IPB Image
RoadGlue
A little brushing and vacuuming and she'll be as good as new.
IPB Image

I have a confession - I was working out in the garage, drinking wine, using power tools and was only wearing underwear, a shirt and flip flops. Thank god the windows and doors were shut. Wouldn't want to go and blind my neighbors:
IPB Image

The sub box I got from 914 Appearance and Performance. I need to add a speaker wire terminal, etc:
IPB Image

The garage is a wreck!
IPB Image
RoadGlue
Think I'll just hide it behind the carpet for now:
IPB Image

IPB Image

My lousy amp. Going to have to replace this soon:
IPB Image

Yours truly:
IPB Image
RoadGlue
The speaker pods from 914 AP required opening up in order to fit my new speakers. And yes, that's a JC Penny saw.
IPB Image

You can see the difference in hole sizes:
IPB Image

Test fitting:
IPB Image

Painted and drying:
IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.