Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Syncos and gaskets
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tracks914
I did my tail shifter about 5 years ago and it has work flawlessly ever since.
On my new (36 year old) car I replaced all the seals since it was out of the car. I hoped that since it only had 42K on it the syncros would be OK. Wrong. I now have to change 1st & 2nd.
I don't need a whole gasket kit with seals ( the ones in it don't even have 100 miles on them)
Where can I buy just the gaskets I need and 2 syncros??
BTW PP and AA seem to only sell complete gasket kits.
Tx
underthetire
I bought a gasket set on evil bay. 35 bucks. You can according the the manual, flip first gear syncro over and use the other side. I ordered all my syncros through AA. PP did sell just the tail cover gasket. You should contact the evil one.
Mark Henry
Just contact the good (and now real) Doctor. Hurry before he realizes he makes more money at work.
Dr Evil
I have what you need most likely smile.gif
gothspeed
My GB pops out of 4th gear on deceleration only ...... would this be fixed with new syncros??

The GB shifts fine and works fine otherwise smile.gif
Dr Evil
Typically yes, but you must ask yourself, "Why the hell would 4th gear, a gear normally practically in like new condition in 30 yr old gear boxes, be a failure point in my box?" Check your linkage. If that is fine then I would bet that your box had been opened before and assembled incorrectly. You will likely need a slider, sychro band and teeth.
gothspeed
I was thinking the same thing Dr E .... ohmy.gif ........... so I replaced all shifter linkage bushings and engine mounts thinking it would solve the poping out problem ...... the car shifts better but still pops out of 4th .... sad.gif
QUOTE(tracks914 @ Jul 22 2009, 08:35 AM) *

I don't need a whole gasket kit with seals ( the ones in it don't even have 100 miles on them)
Where can I buy just the gaskets I need and 2 syncros??

Tx

Your local Porsche dealer can order you the one you need..aks me how I know biggrin.gif
Dr Evil
Really? That is news to me. Great news! How much was it?
gothspeed
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jul 23 2009, 12:01 AM) *

So is my poping out of gear in 4th on deceleration caused by bad syncros?
Dr Evil
There are 3 parts to consider and it is not possible to tell you which is the culprit; slider, band, teeth

The odd location only serves to complicate a diagnosis without laying eyes on the stack.
mburkhart
I'm thinking about doing some transmission work as well. My issue is that I cannot shift into 2nd gear without crunching unless I ease the shifter into gear very slowly. I believe this is due to a worn out synchro. Clutch and every other gear appears to be fine. Would I just want to replace the 2nd gear synchro?

Perhaps related - I also sometimes have trouble getting into 1st gear from a stop, but I have not yet replaced all of the shift bushings (I plan to soon).

Thanks for any advice!
gothspeed
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jul 23 2009, 11:53 AM) *

There are 3 parts to consider and it is not possible to tell you which is the culprit; slider, band, teeth

The odd location only serves to complicate a diagnosis without laying eyes on the stack.

Ok should I get this gear stack out and take some pictures?
Dr Evil
QUOTE(gothspeed @ Jul 23 2009, 05:37 PM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jul 23 2009, 11:53 AM) *

Ok should I get this gear stack out and take some pictures?

YES slap.gif wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.