Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: installing rings!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JOE M
I think I know the answer but hopefully I am wrong. I was installing new rings and found that 1 piston had a chunk missing from the wall (see pic). Is there any hope for this piston or is it dead.My guess is that it is trash but can I replace a single piston or do I have to replace all 4?

Click to view attachment
underthetire
QUOTE(JOE M @ Jul 24 2009, 10:43 AM) *

I think I know the answer but hopefully I am wrong. I was installing new rings and found that 1 piston had a chunk missing from the wall (see pic). Is there any hope for this piston or is it dead.My guess is that it is trash but can I replace a single piston or do I have to replace all 4?

Click to view attachment

If one chunk came out, whats to stop more from coming out at 6K RPM. Plus i think you will break a ring. Junk IMO.
Jake Raby
Throw it away...
JOE M
man 1 thing after another. I cant catch a break.But the second part of my question was do I need to buy all new cylinders/pistons or just the 1?Regardless it sucks because im on a huge budget but I want to do what right.
jcd914
You do not need to replace the complete set of pistons, 1 piston knows nothing of the others. You will need a piston that matches you others though.
It will need to have the correct piston to cylinder clearance, the correct weight to match the rest and a matching dish, valve relief's, pin height and anything else that will affect the compression. You don't see a lot of single pistons for sale so it might be easier to just get a matched set.

Jim
JOE M
QUOTE(jcd914 @ Jul 24 2009, 12:50 PM) *

You do not need to replace the complete set of pistons, 1 piston knows nothing of the others. You will need a piston that matches you others though.
It will need to have the correct piston to cylinder clearance, the correct weight to match the rest and a matching dish, valve relief's, pin height and anything else that will affect the compression. You don't see a lot of single pistons for sale so it might be easier to just get a matched set.

Jim

I did see complete sets for 1.7 running around $200.It just sucks that I will need to buy a whole set.And on top of that my freaking windshield cracked last week.I started to pull off the molding and when I came home from work there was a crack.This freaking car is killing me but I am on a personal quest to get this thing running.I just dont have a ton of money so thats why I asked if there is anything that can be done for the piston.Deep down I already knew what the answer was but I guess I was hopping that someone would say something like that happens all the time--get a little jpb weld and your in business.LOL WISHFULL THINKING.
jcd914
Have you measured the piston to cylinder clearance?
Do you know which 1.7 pistons you have?
You could post a WTB ad with the info you have and maybe someone has a piston to match.
I have a set of 1.7 P&C's I'll never use but 3 of the 4 are still on the engine and it is VW 411/412 engine. I have no clue how those P&Cs would compare to a set for a 914.
Of my 3 914s the only one without a cracked windshield is the one without a windshield. sad.gif

Jim
Mark Henry
I have two used 1.7 P&C sets (different dish) in OK condition. I may have a couple of singles, but I'd have to check.

Shipping a whole set (from Canada) costs about $70 I think.
JOE M
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jul 24 2009, 01:49 PM) *

I have two used 1.7 P&C sets (different dish) in OK condition. I may have a couple of singles, but I'd have to check.

Are you selling them?If so how much-----
JOE M
QUOTE(jcd914 @ Jul 24 2009, 01:42 PM) *

Have you measured the piston to cylinder clearance?
Do you know which 1.7 pistons you have?
You could post a WTB ad with the info you have and maybe someone has a piston to match.
I have a set of 1.7 P&C's I'll never use but 3 of the 4 are still on the engine and it is VW 411/412 engine. I have no clue how those P&Cs would compare to a set for a 914.
Of my 3 914s the only one without a cracked windshield is the one without a windshield. sad.gif

Jim

So cracked windshields are common????
I did not measure the distance because they were already shimed.I probably should remeasure and shim if needed.To be honest the only in depth thing I know about this engine is that it a 1.7. It had real low compression when I bought it. So far I bought new carbs and now rings.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(JOE M @ Jul 24 2009, 04:51 PM) *

$20 for my time....actual post charge.
BTW that's slow post, takes about 2weeks,
Just the 4 pistons shipping would be cheaper (or faster).

Post a pic of your tops, I'll see if I have the same, then you might have a couple extra pistons
Mark Henry
Ok I have a set of dish P&C, and just the pistons with a dome top.
I'm sure I had another set, but I don't see it.
JOE M
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jul 24 2009, 02:05 PM) *

QUOTE(JOE M @ Jul 24 2009, 04:51 PM) *

$20 for my time....actual post charge.
BTW that's slow post, takes about 2weeks,
Just the 4 pistons shipping would be cheaper (or faster).

Post a pic of your tops, I'll see if I have the same, then you might have a couple extra pistons

I dont know if these pics help but here are a couple.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
JOE M
1 more sorry.
Click to view attachment
JOE M
So is it possible to tell any details about this engine by pics I have posted?
tat2dphreak
the engine number is on top, by the oil filler, that's the only number that matters. sad.gif

JOE M
w0114127 is the only number on top. Its actually by the back not the oil filler.
tat2dphreak
1.7 engine, early one

66x90mm
JOE M
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Jul 24 2009, 03:08 PM) *

1.7 engine, early one

66x90mm

Thanks not sure what that means. Any concerns with that.
Mark Henry
The top of your old piston....is it an innie or outie...dome or dish?
JOE M
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jul 24 2009, 03:13 PM) *

The top of your old piston....is it an innie or outie...dome or dish?

I guess it`s an innie or dish.

Click to view attachment
Mark Henry
Looks the same as the full set. PM me if your interested and I'll inspect them better.
r_towle
Joe, I have that piston over here....15 minutes away.
Come dressed in greasy clothes and get it..its yours...
You may have to work for it...but its yours for free.

replacing one piston is fine.

Rich
JOE M
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jul 24 2009, 07:15 PM) *

Joe, I have that piston over here....15 minutes away.
Come dressed in greasy clothes and get it..its yours...
You may have to work for it...but its yours for free.

replacing one piston is fine.

Rich

Ill be ove tomorrow,thanks.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.