Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: can you gas weld stainless steel?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rfuerst911sc
I have a muffler for my /6 conversion that was shipped with the tailpipes not attached. This was done to allow custom fitment. Can this material be welded using oxy acetylene ? The muffler and tailpipes are 321SS. Any tips are appreciated.
underthetire
Maybe but you will turn it all kinds of cool purple doing it.
tat2dphreak
mig weld it with SS wire.
underthetire
Tig would be better.
rick 918-S
Yes, go to your local welding supply store and ask what filler rod they reccomend. Use a stainless wire brush on a drill to remove the discoloration. Stainless pulls heat like crazy.
rfuerst911sc
After some internet research I've decided to hire this out. Thanks guys.
Mark Henry
Tack it up with MIG, then take it to someone with a TIG.

sean_v8_914
you will require a spool gun($400 option) because your wire feed tube is contaminated. you will also need a different argon gas mix
geniusanthony
It sounds like you have made your decision, but for future reference there is a SS arc rod you could use.
IronHillRestorations
You made the right choice. Stainless takes practice.
Mikey914
Ask them to acid treat the weld. Heating the stainless frees up iron, the acid will react and dissolve it leaving you with the more rust resistant qualities of the stainless you desire.

http://www.aws.org/w/a/wj/2002/05/feature/index.html

Any shop that deals with architectural stainless products (like railing) can do this.
Mark Henry
Her's a company that sells the acid, and there's a good pic of with/without treatment, looks like a muffler. I don't know them, just googled it.

http://www.avestafinishing.com/pages/Page____3296.aspx
rfuerst911sc
I called my mechanic today and asked if he knew anyone that can weld SS and he said he did. I described what was needed and he said no problem so it looks like I have this covered. Thanks everyone.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.