Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FS 1973 914 street legal autocross car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WANTED: 914 Cars and Rollers
brilliantrot
I got the car 6 years ago as a poorly running but rust free car and have slowly been rebuilding it into the car that it is today.

Body
Car is virtually rust free, I can't find any but I am sure there is some there as it is a 914 after all. The tub is straight with the original battery tray and original unmodified clutch tube that is still fully connected in all 3 points. The car is stiffened by a 6pt. Autopower roll cage that was professionally tig welded by the same guy that welds the Saleen S7 suspension components, the welds are phenomenal. The cage is welded together but bolted into the car so removal would be easy should it be used as a street car in the future. The fenders were heavily rolled/ molested to allow for the use of wide Hoosiers so there is ether a fare bit of body work required to make it look good again or they need to be cut off and replaced by fiberglass flares.

Engine
The engine is a FAT Performance built 2056cc engine based upon the original 1.7 case that is still uses standard standard bearings. The heads are ported and polished 1.8L heads with stainless 2.0L valves, double valve springs, titanium retainer, modified for better geometry 1.7 rockers with solid shims replacing the springs as well as 911 swivel feet adjusters. The cam is 290 duration .507 lift FAT custom grind that pushes ceramic lifters and chromoly pushrods. The compression is set at 8.6 to 1 as I wanted a pump gas reliable engine. The rods are stock 2.0L with ARP bolts and the crank is a stock 2.0L that has been balanced and polished. The engine is fed by twin 40mm IDF webber carburetors that were completely gone through and rebuilt when the engine was done in June 2008. The car has a complete Mallory ignition system comprising of a Unalight distributor that was remanufactured and set up by Chris Foley at Tangerine racing paired with a Mallory coil and Mallory rev-limiting ignition box. Spend gasses exit through a Tangerine racing header and a phase 9 muffler for 96db venues and the there is a phase 10 muffler for quieter venues. The entire exhaust system is ceramic coated inside and out. To duplicate from scratch this is a $9-10K engine that is very strong and puts out an estimated 140hp. The engine was completed in June of 2008 and has a total of 12 auto crosses and 2000 or so street miles, it is still very fresh.

Transmission
The transmission is a bone stock 901 that was completely rebuilt by Rancho Transmissions around 10,000 miles ago. It shifts fantastically and I have never had a problem with it. It is supported by WEVO trans mounts and the the engine is supported by JWest nylon mounts, providing a stable place for the JWest Rennshifter to quickly and accuratly select the gears. The clutch and pressure plate are standard 2.0L afars that were replaced at the time of the transmission rebuild and showed no wear at the when the new engine went in last year and were thus retained. The car launches hard with no clutch slip against the 13 pound flywheel. All components were balanced at time of install.

Suspension
The rear suspension comprises of stock trailing arms that have had ERP PolyBronze bushings installed and are controlled by yellow Koni Sport shocks wrapped by 200lb/in springs on Paragon Products height adjustable collars.

The front suspension is stock except for the addition of a Tarrett sway bar, ERP decambered balljoints, a billet steering biscuit, and turbo tierods.

Brakes
The braking system was revamped with the use of late front calipers used in all 4 corners, sorry no parking brake, stainless braided lines, an wilwood cockpit adjustable brake bias valve, porterfield pads, high temp brake fluid, and a new 19mm master cylinder actuated by a rebuilt pedal assembly. The car stops very well and I have never experienced any brake fade. I have the stock rear calipers and parking brake assembly should you like to convert back to stock but they are in need of a rebuild.

Spares
The car comes with 4 sets of wheels. 2 sets are 15X7" Panasport, one set are 15X7" revolutions, and the forth set are generic 8 spokes are use for street use. A large selection of wheel spacers are also included to allow for a wide range of wheels and tires to be used. A spare distributor as well as sever coils are included as back ups. A four channel compensating aerospace logic cylinder head gauge from Tangerine racing that I have yet to install comes with it as well. I have many if not all of the interior bits for the car as well as other spares such as headlight motors and other miscellaneous odds and ends.

I have put a lot of blood and sweat into this car over the years and it has treated me well with several TTODs, and I have never been beaten by another 914 in it and have embarrassed many much faster and more expensive machines but all good things must come to an end and it is time for me to move on to a more modern and electronic fuel injected Porsche fun car. To build this car again would cost over $20000 in parts alone and some of them like the ceramic lifters are not even available any more.

In car video. Car driven by fast boxster driver Carl V. of Cam FX. He was not quite up to speed a 914 but this run was good for 6th fastest time of the day at a San Diego autocross. http://www.vimeo.com/5661271

Car is all steel and comes in at around 1900lbs depending on fuel load.

I am asking $9500 OBO.

For questions about the car or specific pictures you can reply to add, PM me, or call me at 949 887 9861. Also, my Email is evanfullerton@gmail.com.
jim_hoyland
Seen this 914 at El Toro many times. It's in excellent shape and well sorted.
sean_v8_914
well sorted and fast
brilliantrot
icon_bump.gif as I bought a new race car and this one must go. Make me an offer I can't refuse. Car will likely go on ebay soon so make me an offer now. Price is now very flexible.
brilliantrot
New price. $8000 for the car minus spares. $9500 takes it all. Lap time per dollar, you will never beat this car.
brilliantrot
So somebody give me some feedback here. I know the car is a little rough around the edges (rear fenders) but it is still a lot of car with a lot of nice parts. Is the price still to high? How about $9000 for everything? Somebody must want a fast 914 that they can play with and make their own.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Brisco914prc
My feedback would be that 914s that have been extensively modified from their original stock condition typically lose a great deal of value. The potential market (the number of possible buyers) for "autocross" or heavily modified cars is far smaller than the market for stock street cars.

Even very nicely built 914 race cars that have had tens of thousands of dollars spent on them usually do not sell for anywhere near the amount of money that has been invested.

Adding to this is the reality of the current economy: fewer people have discretionary income. Classic collectible cars, autocross and race cars are discretionary items. Prices of classic cars have declined significantly in the past year.

Good luck with your sale,

Barry

QUOTE(brilliantrot @ Sep 9 2009, 01:23 AM) *

So somebody give me some feedback here. I know the car is a little rough around the edges (rear fenders) but it is still a lot of car with a lot of nice parts. Is the price still to high? How about $9000 for everything? Somebody must want a fast 914 that they can play with and make their own.

brilliantrot
Yep I agree that prices have really dropped on "fun" cars which is why I got a good deal on this cars replacement (993 RSR clone in need of some TLC). This car is fantastic learning tool as a mechanic (dirt simple) and a driver. Anybody looking to get into autocross would do well to get a car like this (probably a bit too much engine if you are really new to driving). In a straight line car has no problem keeping up with stockish 911s with <3.6L engines up to 80mph or so but feels much more violent. Plus it just sound and feels wicked when you wind it up past 7000rpm.

A friend of mine who races with us has an SCCA ASP prepped (big a6 Hoosiers, and suspension work) C5 Z06 and he has commented that this 914 is faster off the line than his car. With a good driver at the wheel and Hoosiers on, it is down right scary fast from the passenger seat at an autocross. Even if you are just a mediocre driver it will get you about the same times at an autocross as if you were driving a GT3 on slicks.

I really need to get rid of this thing so $8500 for everything. $5500 with no spares, different exhaust, 009 distributor, and no sway bar. I am trying to make this car as accessible as possible.

This is as low as I will go on the price as the car is just too good to let it go any cheaper.
sam quartermain
Hi , i'm looking for a 914 , but not for autocross .

how streetable is the car , and

and what price would you let it go at " street legel setup"

Just curious it seems like a great deal , but not if i can't just jump in and drive it home?

Do you have some more pictures , and exactly how extensively , and obtrusively has the car been modified .

I mean i've seen some stuff w/ 914's . right

' an i looked at a deeep red 914 -74 in newport last saturday that was for sale.

it was street legal never raced . It just had webers on a 1-8 . only mod. had decent paint . was running strong .

guy was asking 6600 , was willing to go to 6k . so that 's about the asking price for a similar car in total non'modified . street legal condition . driver . w/ 175 k miles
brilliantrot
The car is street able currently and could be made much more so with the addition of some carpet and soundproofing. The only modifications to the body are the rollcage which is removable without a ton of effort and the rear of the trunk floor behind the trans cross member is cut out for the oil cooler/ lightening/easier engine removal with the added clearance so you do not have to take the air cleaners off.

If you are looking for a weekend warrior/ back road car that would be a second or third car this would be a not be a bad place to start but if you are looking for a daily driver, or something that you plan to drive to work, I would not recommend it. With the big cam, light flywheel, and large carburetors it is not particularly well suited to stop and go traffic. You basically get to choose between a 1000RPM idle when warm and keep it alive while it is warming up or if you set it to idle cold it ends up at 1500RPM when warm (this is why carbed 911s had hand throttles). With no carpet or interior it is really really loud at the moment. 96db out side at 100ft, louder inside. When you put the quiet can on it high end performance noticeably suffers and it is still loud inside as most of it is carb noise. The car has a super aggressive alignment on it right now as well so that is something else that would need to be changed if it was for primarily street use, as well as street tires.

All depends on what you want to do with the car. This motor is about as hot as I would want on the street with a smaller displacement motor as as it is it still shoots blue flames out the tail pipe now and again.

That said it is a blast to drive on the street and could be driven home today. Keeping the engine with the Mallory stuff and the Tangerine exhaust (you want all this as it make more power and makes the car run better everywhere) and all the interior stuff I have (back pad and some other small stuff) I think we can strike a deal somewhere in the same price range as the other car you looked at.
Click to view attachment
brilliantrot
Click to view attachment
brilliantrot
Spares for sale separately.

$6000 takes the car minus spares but is a fantastic deal as the exhaust ($2k), ignition system ($1k), suspension stuff ($2k), and shifting improvements ($1k) is $6k right there.
brilliantrot
Screen shot of PCA article that mentions the car and me.
Click to view attachment
brilliantrot
Car is sold. Spares, bumpers, and wheels still available. I will post a parts ad in a few days.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.