Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How hot is your car, no really how hot should it be?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mikey914
Well a project of mine is 90% finished and I've been enjoying driving it around, but I have noticed that it gets within 1/4" of the red on the AP Temp gage. It was running a little cooler before the temp went up about 20 deg. The oil is at the first mark, not enough to really add, but I think I'll bring it up to help cool.

Just wondering. driving.gif
Joe Bob
Is it really hot or is the gauge telling you it is? Get an independent verification of oil temp. A hand held pyrometer is a good start.

914 temp gauges were crap when new. Age hasn't made them any more accurate.
Mikey914
It has been over 100 here lately, I was driving last night in downtown PDX ans saw the temp gage get closer to the red. I decided to get it out on the highway to cool it down a little, and it moved back about 1/8". This makes me think, yes it was hotter, but not much, and if it's as cool as it can be and only 1/8" mark, it may just be that it's the warmer weather. It never hit he red, but I was just wondering where everone elses' run.
Thanks,
Mark
Ferg
"close to the red" is 250 or better.

ericread
I've said it before and I'll say it again... The oil temp gauge is a really cool gauge which doesn't tell you much of anything. It takes a good 15 minutes to react to changes in your engine, and if you get a very high reading, it's much too late to do anything about it.

For about $100 you can install a CHT which tells you what your engine temperature is right now. I monitor cylinder 3, but there are some member vendors that even can provide a four channel CHT, if you feel it's necessary.

Leave your oil temp gauge in place, it is a very nice looking gauge. But install and rely on your CHT if you really want to know what your engine is doing.

Eric Read
blitZ
You might want to look at your driving habits. If you are trying to cruise at modest speeds (50 - 60) in 5th, you can drive oil and CH temperatures up. 4th gear is your best bet around town.
Jakeodoule
Hey Mikey,
I have a 76 and I live in Vancouver WA. I have both a numerical oil temp gauge and the stock oil temp gauge. While I have not driven it in the extreme heat we're having, I wouldn't drive my car in this 105 degree stuff.
It normally runs about right on the left edge of the "p" on the stock gauge. which says about 210 on the number gauge. Then when I run around town or sit at stop lights, it goes up to about the right edge of the P or even past the P. That equals about 225 or so on the number gauge. I would agree with everyone else about how the stock temp gauges are crap. But this may give you some idea.
My motor is fresh, the fan has all the blades and the cylinder fins are clean.That is the ONLY way the stock cooling system will work properly.

J P Stein
We did the SCCA AX Sunday at PIR, 2 drivers, 7 runs each. The oil temp got up to 100C for only the 2nd time ever.
Mikey914
I need to pull the motor and replace the sheetmetal with some I have painted allready, figured I'll replace the oil cooler seals and the push rod tube seals as there's a few small leaks. Good time to check all hoses too. So, I should be able to get any crud that may be in there.

Thanks
JRust
Hey Mark did you get my tits? Are they perfect or what? Seriously are they what you needed confused24.gif
Mikey914
Yes I did and I'm playing with them now. biggrin.gif

They are perfect for the reproductions, I will have them back in a couple weeks.'

Thanks,

Mark
SGB
QUOTE(JRust @ Jul 28 2009, 10:43 PM) *

Hey Mark did you get my tits? Are they perfect or what? Seriously are they what you needed confused24.gif

Are you gonna make bumperettes? Would you consider making some that were only 1/2 the length so they don't stick out so far but stil provide a little protection?
blitZ
You can use the smaller (A cups) from the late model bumpers, if you want smaller tits on your car.

QUOTE(SGB @ Jul 29 2009, 10:54 AM) *

QUOTE(JRust @ Jul 28 2009, 10:43 PM) *

Are you gonna make bumperettes? Would you consider making some that were only 1/2 the length so they don't stick out so far but stil provide a little protection?
Mikey914
I can make smaller ones if there is enough demand. Unfortunately, it's not as easy as just using 1/2 the mold. The mounting hardware is located in the edges, as it's would be shortened the hardware would come in toward the center, which would leave the holes on the bumper exposed. It would be possible to modify a set of bumper "tits" as they are solid rubber. Let me know if the shorter versions curently available will not work for you.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.