Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is there a way to tell which engine came stock on my 914?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ubii
I know this might be a dumb question, but is there any way to tell which engine (1.8 or 2.0) came stock from the factory on my 914? I recently bought what I thought was a 1975 2.0, only to later discover that according to the engine serial number (EC044801), that it really is a 1.8. The PO listed it as a 2.0, only because it had the 2.0 emblem on the back and unfortunately I was dumb enough not to verify the engine serial number before I bought it . headbang.gif The fuel injection system has been completely gutted and has been replaced with a single carb, so I do not know if it originally came with a L-Jet or D-Jet. I am simply trying to figure out if this 914 originally came with a 2.0, which was later replaced by a 1.8 for some reason or if it originally came with a 1.8 and someone mistakenly added the wrong emblem later on. The engine serial number does appear to be within the range for 1975, which is (EC 0037552 - EC 0045072), but all this does is confirm that the engine and car were built the same year. I guess in the end, it doesn't really matter, though it would be nice to know if this is the original engine or not.

VIN Info - http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...mp;viewid=12405

Thanks, ubii
underthetire
Could be a rebuild. 3 stud head or four ?
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(ubii @ Jul 28 2009, 02:22 PM) *

I know this might be a dumb question, but is there any way to tell which engine (1.8 or 2.0) came stock from the factory on my 914? I recently bought what I thought was a 1975 2.0, only to later discover that according to the engine serial number (EC044801), that it really is a 1.8. The PO listed it as a 2.0, only because it had the 2.0 emblem on the back and unfortunately I was dumb enough not to verify the engine serial number before I bought it . headbang.gif The fuel injection system has been completely gutted and has been replaced with a single carb, so I do not know if it originally came with a L-Jet or D-Jet. I am simply trying to figure out if this 914 originally came with a 2.0, which was later replaced by a 1.8 for some reason or if it originally came with a 1.8 and someone mistakenly added the wrong emblem later on. The engine serial number does appear to be within the range for 1975, which is (EC 0037552 - EC 0045072), but all this does is confirm that the engine and car were built the same year. I guess in the end, it doesn't really matter, though it would be nice to know if this is the original engine or not.

VIN Info - http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...mp;viewid=12405

Thanks, ubii
If there is a yellow sticker above the relay board on the left inner firewall then the car was originally a 2.0
McMark
The engine's are swapped more than the emblems. So I'd trust the emblem before the engine.
Cap'n Krusty
1.8s had an air cleaner bracket bolted to the chassis on the left side of the engine compartment. Look for signs it was there. 2.0s had the Manifold Pressure Sensor bolted through rubber grommets to a bracket just below and aft of the battery, right next to the point where the fuel lines clamp to the body. Look for signs the MPS was bolted there. The emissions sticker "might" provide some clue. It was in the area of the relay board on the left side.

The Cap'n
ubii
Hey Folks,

Thank you for the quick responses, here a couple of quick and dirty snap shots of the areas you mentioned.

Thanks, ubii

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

underthetire
For sure not 2 liter heads.
McMark
1.8. The platform by the relay board is the giveaway.
ubii
Mark,

Is that what can be seen in the bottom left-hand corner of my third photo?

Thanks,

ubii
neil30076
QUOTE(ubii @ Jul 28 2009, 05:21 PM) *

Mark,

Is that what can be seen in the bottom left-hand corner of my third photo?

Thanks,

ubii

Yes, It's the black rectangular plate at the bottom of the last picture.
Cap'n Krusty
Just as I said earlier ................. Double relay's there, too.

The Cap'n
ubii
Who knows how or why the 2.0 emblem ended up on the car, but at least, now I know that it originally came from the factory with a 1.8. Thanks again for all of your help.

Thanks,

ubii
SirAndy
QUOTE(ubii @ Jul 28 2009, 07:54 PM) *

Who knows how or why the 2.0 emblem ended up on the car

So the PO could sell the car to you for more money?!?
popcorn[1].gif Andy
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 28 2009, 08:03 PM) *

QUOTE(ubii @ Jul 28 2009, 07:54 PM) *

Who knows how or why the 2.0 emblem ended up on the car

So the PO could sell the car to you for more money?!?
popcorn[1].gif Andy

agree.gif av-943.gif

sorry.

dry.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(ubii @ Jul 28 2009, 11:54 PM) *

Who knows how or why the 2.0 emblem ended up on the car, but at least, now I know that it originally came from the factory with a 1.8.

Andy's response is probably at least partly true.

There are guys who will paste 'Type R' stickers or 'Turbo' emblems on cars in the vain hope of inflating their egos by admiration of the unsuspecting.

But don't feel bad - there are lots of people who think their 911's are 'S's because they can't see past the red spray paint on the fan shroud to the engine type number...

FWIW - unless you're hoping to compete in national-level Concours d'Elegance, no one really cares what engine the car came with, or what's there now. I agree the history is nice to know so I applaud your research.

Put in whatever engine you like, or do what you want to that one.

IMO - it's about the driving, not the stickers...
type47
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Jul 29 2009, 03:44 AM) *

QUOTE(ubii @ Jul 28 2009, 11:54 PM) *

Who knows how or why the 2.0 emblem ended up on the car, but at least, now I know that it originally came from the factory with a 1.8.

Andy's response is probably at least partly true.

There are guys who will paste 'Type R' stickers or 'Turbo' emblems on cars in the vain hope of inflating their egos by admiration of the unsuspecting.

But don't feel bad - there are lots of people who think their 911's are 'S's because they can't see past the red spray paint on the fan shroud to the engine type number...

FWIW - unless you're hoping to compete in national-level Concours d'Elegance, no one really cares what engine the car came with, or what's there now. I agree the history is nice to know so I applaud your research.

Put in whatever engine you like, or do what you want to that one.

IMO - it's about the driving, not the stickers...

Nicely put. This will give you the chance to get rid of the single carb and put on the real fuel injection system! idea.gif
IronHillRestorations
Yea, I saw a "tech article" in Mid Engine Views ( the 914 Owner's Association publication) about 20 years ago that said (para-phrasing) putting a 2.0 sticker on your 1.7 or 1.8 was the easiest way to increase value!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.