Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 factory 6 Dist. Caps
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
xsurfer
I'm the proud owner of an orig six with 87K orig miles. I have just seen a distributor cap on e bay stating that it is the short MARELLI cap of the two posible caps. It stated a part number. Can someone comment on the two caps. They are few and far between. I may have a new short cap and not know it! Obviously I'm still learning this car.

Thanks for the great forum and knowledge from it.

Gene Selger
brp986s
If your distributor is Bosch you have a short cap and caps/rotors for it should be available. If you have a marelli, the cap is taller. Marelli parts are rare or gone.

QUOTE(xsurfer @ Jul 29 2009, 09:44 PM) *

I'm the proud owner of an orig six with 87K orig miles. I have just seen a distributor cap on e bay stating that it is the short cap of the two posible caps. It stated a part number. Can someone comment on the two caps. They are few and far between. I may have a new short cap and not know it! Obviously I'm still learning this car.

Gene Selger

xsurfer
My apologies, it is a Marelli Short Cap.

QUOTE(brp986s @ Jul 29 2009, 10:29 PM) *

If your distributor is Bosch you have a short cap and caps/rotors for it should be available. If you have a marelli, the cap is taller. Marelli parts are rare or gone.

I'm the proud owner of an orig six with 87K orig miles. I have just seen a distributor cap on e bay stating that it is the short cap of the two posible caps. It stated a part number. Can someone comment on the two caps. They are few and far between. I may have a new short cap and not know it! Obviously I'm still learning this car.

Gene Selger

Van914
It won't fit.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
we are in the process of remaking the marelli distributor caps and rotor and actually need another sample preferably new as a sample. Any one out there have one? All 1970 914-6 models were equipped with Marelli distributors (the tall one) and the 71 models bosch (the short one)
mskala
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jul 30 2009, 11:34 AM) *

we are in the process of remaking the marelli distributor caps and rotor and actually need another sample preferably new as a sample. Any one out there have one? All 1970 914-6 models were equipped with Marelli distributors (the tall one) and the 71 models bosch (the short one)

I will check tonight, I think one of mine is new in box.
xsurfer
QUOTE(mskala @ Jul 30 2009, 09:55 AM) *

My 71 has original records with no mention of changing a distributor, it still has a Marelli. Does anyone know about two sizes of marelli caps? Is the height of the cap only in the wire recepticles. I'll try to dig up a part number.
mskala
QUOTE(mskala @ Jul 30 2009, 12:55 PM) *

Yep, I have an unused one if you need to take measurements
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(brp986s @ Jul 29 2009, 11:29 PM) *

Gene Selger

I've known of this problem for years, but never understood why the Factory made such a change.

Any enlightenments?
Pat
smg914
Click to view attachment
Lightweight_911
Here's a new 'short' Marelli cap - I have 2 of them (NOS).

I don't think they were used on the 914/6 (maybe possibly on the rare '72 models ?).

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
xsurfer
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jul 30 2009, 07:20 PM) *

QUOTE(brp986s @ Jul 29 2009, 11:29 PM) *

Gene Selger

I've known of this problem for years, but never understood why the Factory made such a change.

Any enlightenments?
Pat

I think, I have all of two years experience, the marelli was a lighter distributor.

Gene
smg914
Back in the day all the caps had a 901 part number. The design of the Marelli distributor used in the early 911's and 914-6's required the taller distributor cap. The Bosch distributor used during this same time period was a different design which required a shorter cap. My guess is that at some point in time Marelli made a shorter replacement cap that would fit the Bosch distributor and possibly some of their later design distributors. I don't see any way that the short Marelli cap could ever be used on the original stock Marelli 914-6 distributor.
Project 6
Convert to Bosch and live with the CW BS when you go to shows. Anyone still running a Marrelli has too much money or never drives the thing.
Jasfsmith
QUOTE(Project 6 @ Sep 13 2009, 07:05 AM) *

Convert to Bosch and live with the CW BS when you go to shows. Anyone still running a Marrelli has too much money or never drives the thing.

Your wrong on both accounts. I've got little money and drive a lot.

Marelli parts can still be had. You just need to be patient and buy when they pop up. I've got a supply that will likely out last the distributor. Then again I've got a ample supply of Marelli distributors. Not sure why... <sigh>
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.