Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What Would Joseph Do ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jsayre914
It is my dream to purchase a kit from jake. I have multiple engines i could build from. If you had these four choices what would you pick and why??

this car is a daily driver year round with aggressive" street driving. Mostly highway. Needs to be reliable and cost effective. beerchug.gif
Cupomeat
Sorry, I voted before I fully understood the question.

Generally, I would preserve the 2.0L with D-Jet and the 1.8 with L-Jet and rebuild the 1.8 with Carbs.

The 2.0 with D-jet is a fine motor and the 1.8 with L-jet is getting tough to find a working one.

You will always find engines with Carbs as so many of us have ditched FI (at one point) for good or bad reasons.

So, I say the 1.8 with Carbs.
blackmoon
QUOTE(Cupomeat @ Jul 31 2009, 11:56 AM) *

Sorry, I voted before I fully understood the question.

Generally, I would preserve the 2.0L with D-Jet and the 1.8 with L-Jet and rebuild the 1.8 with Carbs.

The 2.0 with D-jet is a fine motor and the 1.8 with L-jet is getting tough to find a working one.

You will always find engines with Carbs as so many of us have ditched FI (at one point) for good or bad reasons.

So, I say the 1.8 with Carbs.

I went with the 2270 kit (in progress) with carb's from Jake. Eventually and some more money, I will convert back to aftermaket fuel injection system, my 2-bits
Mark Henry
The 2.0 d-jet has good spunk and it "Needs to be reliable and cost effective." is your best bet.

The 2.0 carbs will have more spunk with a cam, headwork, valvetrain, oil pump, header, etc. Mileage might go down a bit, heavy foot a quite bit more....no cam it will be worse than d-jet.

Working L-jet, I got one here, original to my teen. I may never use it again, but I'm keeping it because it is "correct".

1.8 carb can be made a screamer. It could be the better case for a 2.0 build, unless you're anal about having a GA code case.
carlilg
I just bought a 1.7 as a core and plan to do a 2270 with that and save the 2.0 D-Jet that is in the car, as it is a bone stock '73 2.0, and I hate to do anything to a clean original car that can't be undone.
VaccaRabite
Neither of Joes current engines are in running shape currently. They are both excellent rebuildable cores though.

A kit from Jake will have new heads (I think that they all feature that now) so it really does not matter which engine you use. So I would use the 1.8 as the core and sell the 2.0 as seed money.

Oh, and EFI that will work with a 2270 or a fast 2056 will set up back a pretty penny. I say carbs.

Zach
zymurgist
I'm a 2.0 D-Jet fan, because that's what I know. However, if I were planning on doing a Jake kit, I would go with carbs, because that's what Jake recommends.
hcdmueller
If you want a reliable daily driver and have working stock injection D or L jet go with a 2056 kit with the cam that allows the stock injection. Carbs need adjustment regularly. I am not that great with carbs and don't want to mess with them all the time. I will be going to EFI as soon as I can. Even a 2056 with stock injection is a huge improvement.
Todd Enlund
Joe, I think you might want to rephrase your question.

My understanding is: Which of the 4 would you sacrifice for a rebuild? I chose the 1.8 carbed engine, because it is worth the least. The only catch is, I believe that you need a 2.0 crank as a core for one of Jake's kits.
tat2dphreak
if you are getting a kit, then are you going back to stock 2.0 displacement or going to 2056/2270?

if you are going back to stock, then stock, 2.0 Djet is the way to go...

if you are getting a kit to make it more than 2.0... either CASE will work... they are the same.

the heads are not, tho.

I'd probably use the 1.8 case, 1.8 heads(ports opened and spark plug position changed)... on a 2270 or 2056 with carbs and better than stock cam... then later build a stock rebuild of your 2.0 with djet for "authenticity"

I think jake even builds a 2056 kit that uses the stock Djet... but I'm not sure about that.
jsayre914
Thanks for your input..

in response to the questions: I am trying to keep cost down, and i really like fuel injection alot smile.gif i would be willing to sacrifice a little power but i want to get my monies worth out of the kit.

i no longer have d-jet, i sold it chair.gif i do not have carbs either

what i have is this, and anything eles i would be paying out of pocket:

>complete running 1.8 with l-jet.
>2.0 running minus the djet

i am not worried about putting this car back to originality. Im not worried about engine codes etc. Im just having fun with it. I have never experienced carbs, my understanding is they need a lot of tweeking and they dont like winter.

popcorn[1].gif

tat2dphreak
I have never experienced carbs, my understanding is they need a lot of tweeking and they dont like winter

I'll say "no, not really" and "true"

they don't really take much tweaking once you get them right. but they don't dig on cold either.

if you like FI, go FI, and if you don't care about originality, go with a megasquirt and mark's distributorless ignition.... you either have to learn FI or learn carbs, may as well go with the one that is more future-proof.
type47
You don't offer my choice: 2056 with microsquirt (or some digital FI system). Ditch the antiquated D-jet system and be a pioneer into the digital world. At least then I will be able to learn from your install as this is my plan.... after I get the roller rolling, after I finish the kitchen, after I get the Vanagon back on the road for a DD, after I get the walkway finished, after I get the planning for the MAMER/ECC, get the picture? in 2020! biggrin.gif
r_towle
If you choose your camshaft correctly, and choose your injectors correctly...L-jet can be setup to support a much larger motor.
So can D-jet.

So, I would say go up to the 2056 and run the L-jet FI system that you have....you will want to get a NEW set of 2.0 liter injectors...all the rest will be the same.

This is not bench engineering...its just a fact. Both systems can and do support larger motors with a little bit of proper tuning.
You own the Ljet FI system, so use that...

Rich
Joe Owensby
Whichever way you decide- make sure that you have the correct cam. The cams for the carbed engines do not idle as well on a FI system. The FI cams do not give the full benefit to the carbs. Needs to be a system. JoeO
Dr Evil
I think you need a 2.0 cam for the kit, no?

Joe should not to anything other than a stock FI system as he is not familiar with high tech stuff like that. Maybe in the future, if I have time. wink.gif

I would go with the 2.0 made to a 2056 or 2270. Sell the heads, pistons and cylinders off of it. As well as any other parts you need. You can use an L-jet system to run these engines, and L-jet is even considered by many to be a better system when it is maintained.
r_towle
The camshaft can actually have a little bit more overlap.
Not to much because it creates air flutter in the plenum that actually closes the flapper door on the Air Meter.

Ljet is not better than Djet...at least not using that antique Air meter box.

Still, use it, it will work quite well.
You can use the heads from either a 2.0 liter or a 1.8 liter motor.
You can buy the kit and have a snappy little 2056.

Jake has a perfect FI cam for this...its not stock, but people have had good results with it.

Rich
sww914
If it were me and money was short, I'd plug in the running 1.8 to drive it around and build a carb'd cammed 2056 screamer later. If the money isn't too different so you get quite a few more HP for not too much more money I'd go with a screamer 2270. I haven't priced Jake's kits lately because I'm not building a hot 4 cyl for awhile unless something bad happens to my anemic, perfectly reliable 1.7 that gets 30mpg.
dw914er
I would probably sacrifice the 1.8 core if you were going to have Jake build it for you, though Steve's suggestion isn't bad either. I personally like the stock FI unit, only issues ive had was a leak when i first started getting the car running after a few years of sitting, and a points issue. But since then, its been solid, reliable, good in warm, cold, etc. But if your kicking up the hp a notch, a aftermarket fi unit or carbs is probably the way to go. But i figure if its Jake's motor/kit, he will know what will be best to do.
ConeDodger
I don't understand. Are you asking us which engine you should build or which core you should build from?

Plenty of smiles to be had from a 2056. I think Rich D in the Washington area has a very nicely built one for sale too...
zx-niner
My vote is for rebuilding the 1.8 with FI because that's what I would do if I was doing it again. I thought I needed the biggest and best so went with Raby's 2270 Performer. It's way more than I need for my driving intentions and, in retrospect, a 1.8 bumped to 1911 with stock FI would have been perfect.

In my case, I didn't realize the commitment required to go with such a high performance engine. Performance exhaust, remote oil cooler, specialized sensors and gauges, modified throttle linkage, ignition and fuel pump rewiring, etc. had to be dealt with after the basic engine was ready. It's a generalization, but many of us 914 owners run these cars on a budget. At least that's our original intent until we get so far in. I figure I would have saved $5-$7 thousand on the project and had an easier starting, smoother running car that still had factory heat/defrost for the winter.

Understand, I get my go-fast thrills and track fun on my motorcycle so the 914 is just used for overnight trips, occasional commuting and around town jaunts. Your 914 plans may vary.
Jake Raby
First Off:
It doesn't matter which case you use, my program levels the playing field and you can use anything from a 1.7- 2.0 to build ANY of my kits..

If you have perfectly functional stock FI system, and you don't want more than 115HP, then by all means use the stock FI.. My specific kit for stock FI is rated at 115HP.

READ my engine kit presentations and take the time to study them and understand them, not just a quick look.. ALL the information is there.

The entire engine kit line up, pricing and engine combinations will go through their bi-annual update starting in November 2009 through January 2010... POwer is going up, but not as much as the pricing..
Dr Evil
Here is the link to the 115hp 2056 kit Jake is talking about.
http://www.aircooledtechnology.com/store/p...=308&page=1

And here is the tutorial with all the answers smile.gif
http://www.rdtlabs.com/Presentations/raten...files/frame.htm
Dr Evil
In reviewing the presentation I see that the crank and rods are not retained at all from the old engine. Thus, that is why you can use any case. I say gut the 1.8 then smile.gif

Joe, if you have the $$ and want to have performance with the least amount of pain, you cant beat the 115hp 2056 kit. It has EVERYTHING. I'll help you build it biggrin.gif idea.gif
Dr Evil
OK, now I am confused. In one presentation it says that you get a new crank and dont need your old one. In the 115-2056 specific presentation it says you need a 2.0 crank??? confused24.gif
Joe Bob
WWJD?

Buy someone else's project and beat on the previous owner.....
jsayre914
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Aug 2 2009, 04:56 AM) *

OK, now I am confused. In one presentation it says that you get a new crank and dont need your old one. In the 115-2056 specific presentation it says you need a 2.0 crank??? confused24.gif

yup, it seems i need a 2.0 crank core, so i guess i would save money using the 2.0 case to start. But then i will need to purchase the d-jet that i just sold. (i think) i remember i cannot use l-jet on a 2.0 case without some modification of the intake manifolds.

from jakes site:

The core components that are needed at the time of the order from the customers long block are listed below:

•Any year or type of VW/ Porsche Type 4 engine case
•2.0 liter crankshaft
•Any Porsche 914 flywheel
•Any Porsche 914 cooling fan
•If the purchaser lacks any these items at the time of kit purchase core charges of 825.00 will be assessed.
Dr Evil
Joe, you can use the L-jet. It wont be hard wink.gif
VaccaRabite
Joe, I have a spare 2.0 crank (and rods).

Yours if you need it.

But, you really have no problem here. sell the 1.8 and use the 2.0 you have as your core motor.

Zach
Jake Raby
The 2056-115 is based from a 2.0 crank and rods.. ANY case can be used.
If you do not have 2.0 crank and rods, because you have a 1.8 engine- no worries, just pay the core charge.

The best way to ensure that you are clear on the entire kit is to schedule a chat with Blake and I...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.