Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: my mallory may have died
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
VaccaRabite
Engine is in. Everything is ready.
But I don't get any spark.

Coil seems to be okay. I need to know if there is anyway to test the mallory?

I am not getting any power to the plugs.

I have tried putting a timing light on the plug wires and putting the timing light on the wire from the coil to the mallory just to see if there is currant, which there is not...

I am getting power to the coil.

I am SO CLOSE!!!! I just need to get this bitch running.

Zach
VaccaRabite
Also, the unit worked when I pulled the engine out last month.

In the good news side of things, I am getting enough oil pressure to turn off the light just running the starter.

Zach
Kirmizi
Zach,
I just pulled out the installation instructions and there's not much there.
Have you double-checked all your wiring/connections/etc...?

It states, "If the engine fails to start, rotate the distributor in small increments clockwise or counterclockwise until the engine starts. Do not exceed more than ten degrees ... in either direction."
Mike
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(Kirmizi @ Aug 1 2009, 11:48 PM) *

Zach,
I just pulled out the installation instructions and there's not much there.
Have you double-checked all your wiring/connections/etc...?

It states, "If the engine fails to start, rotate the distributor in small increments clockwise or counterclockwise until the engine starts. Do not exceed more than ten degrees ... in either direction."
Mike

Saw that.
Even if my timing was off, I'd be getting a pulse through the plug wires. I'm not getting any pulse. Mike (DrEvil) and I triple checked the wires. Its is in properly.

Zach
brilliantrot
I fried the electric portion of a mallory when my codriver left the key on for 6 or 8 minutes so they do go bad.
VaccaRabite
I have ordered a new optical sensor from CFR. I'll see if that helps things. I really want to get this car moving again. It is so close I can taste it.

Zach
yeahmag
Test procedure:

http://www.centuryperformance.com/mallory-...ng-spg-150.html
brilliantrot
Chris is good with shipping things fast as I had him send me a spare but now that I need it I can't find it. Anyways, see if you can find a stock one or even the dreaded 009. Mine failed right before timed runs at an autocross. 10 min later the 009 was in with a compufire module in it and I was away again.
Dr Evil
From Yeahmaq's link, "you will need a ballast resistor installed in the system to prevent killing a good module (if you attempt to start the engine). "

A yup, ya done kilt it with that misplaced wire wink.gif
jim_hoyland
I didn't use a ballast resistor, but used a Bosch Blue coil. Seems like this combo works. I'm notclear when a ballast resistor is required??

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Aug 2 2009, 01:23 AM) *

From Yeahmaq's link, "you will need a ballast resistor installed in the system to prevent killing a good module (if you attempt to start the engine). "

A yup, ya done kilt it with that misplaced wire wink.gif

ChrisFoley
Most Bosch blue coils have the required resistance so a ballast resistor isn't necessary.
A weakness of the Mallory optical unit is that stray voltage signals can kill them. If you don't have spiral wound plug wires that can do it when the engine is shut down.
VaccaRabite
I seem to remember a chart that said what bosche blue coils had the internal ballast resistors, and which did not.

My car is using the blue coil, but also used a resistor, so I am guessing that my coil needed the resistor. How do I know for sure?

Zach
ChrisFoley
IIRC a coil that measures more than 1.4 ohms on the primary winding (plus and minus terminals) has the necessary internal resistance.
orange914
great to hear it's almost ready beerchug.gif

mike
Dr Evil
Your coil was 5.1K both terminals to center and 0 ohms between the +/- so you needed the resistor that was not in the circuit.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Aug 3 2009, 01:50 AM) *

Your coil was 5.1K both terminals to center and 0 ohms between the +/- so you needed the resistor that was not in the circuit.

*nods* *smiles* *hopes no one notices I have no idea what Evil is saying...*

I have a conceptual idea of what is going on, but I would not be able to explain it if asked, or properly replicate the experiment...

Zach
Gint
Some coils have built in or internal ballast resistors. They measure higher resistance (3-4 ohms or so). Yours reads 0 ohms, so it's not internally ballasted.
r_towle
And internal ballast creates resistance.
Its also called a resistor.

This resistance needs to be in the system in order for your electronic sensor to function.
You have two choices.
1 is buy the correct resistor and put it inline like the manual says...or you could just hand it to Dr Evil and have him wire it up.

2, you could buy a different coil that has the built in resistance you need....but the risk of that is you WILL forget when the coil gets replaced down the road...

Rich
VaccaRabite
I have the resistor already. I was trying to determine if I was using a resistor when I did not need one, as Chris had said many of the blue coils have internal resistors. it turns out that mine does not. So, using the resistor I have is the right thing to be dong.

Zach
stepuptotheMike
I went the extra step and added Mallory's line filter. I think it was like another $26 bucks. Figured that was cheap insurance against nuking a module. So I've got the ballast resistor, the line filter and the mallory biggrin.gif

But what if I get struck by lightning????? biggrin.gif

Mike
underthetire

Mike
[/quote]

Turn your roll bar in to a Faraday cage !
http://electricitymagnetism.suite101.com/a...ightning_safety
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(stepuptotheMike @ Aug 4 2009, 08:06 AM) *

I went the extra step and added Mallory's line filter. I think it was like another $26 bucks. Figured that was cheap insurance against nuking a module. So I've got the ballast resistor, the line filter and the mallory biggrin.gif

Mike

agree.gif Went with the line filter too. Easily mounts to side of dizzy and has the connectors. It's a plug-and-play.
stepuptotheMike
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Aug 4 2009, 11:56 AM) *

QUOTE(stepuptotheMike @ Aug 4 2009, 08:06 AM) *

Mike

agree.gif Went with the line filter too. Easily mounts to side of dizzy and has the connectors. It's a plug-and-play.

See, I didn't find that it attached to the side of the dizzy all that well.... the whole flat surface against a round surface thing. So I mounted mine on the fan housing. I may move it to a different location this winter when I pull the engine and do some maint to the overall engine compartment.

Mike
Cupomeat
[quote name='underthetire' date='Aug 4 2009, 11:55 AM' post='1199159']

Mike
[/quote]

Turn your roll bar in to a Faraday cage !
http://electricitymagnetism.suite101.com/a...ightning_safety
[/quote]

A car with a fiberglass body or a cloth top convertible will not form a Faraday cage, sadly so unless we went full 916 metal top, the lightening will still fry us like the meat in a 914 sandwich due to the targa top open structure.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.