Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: offering several new machined items, if anyone is interested
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dlestep
...new at offering anything on this website.
But as I go through my restoration, I have had to have several things remanufactured, machined, or re-fabricated when they are no longer available.
These particular items are not available from any sources that I can find.

1. bearing bracket bushings, (4), used on 914 750 165 10 and 914 750 271 10.
2. 914 750 189 10, bearing sleeve, (4), used on headlight motor push rod.
3. pivot pin, (2), used on push rod, 914 750 185 11, left and right side.
Click to view attachment

The material used on items 1 & 2 above is a black acetal resin (Delrin), the original was white.

The material used on item 3 is bronze. I increased the root diameter of the threaded portion using a .250-28UNF-3A thread instead of a M6 Thread.
I also increased the diameter of the thread relief just before the bearing surface that interfaces with the headlight mounting assembly.
(When the M6 nut works it way loose, the part fails forward of the bearing surface on the narrow root diameter of the thread, then the headlight assembly imperceptively flops, but most notible, the headlight doesn't sit flush with the curve of the front trunk lid).

The vendor cost of item 1, (4) is $ 8.00 a piece, 4*8=$ 32.00.
The vendor cost of item 2, (4) is $ 8.00 a piece, 4*8=$ 32.00.
The vendor cost of item 3, (2) is $20.00 a piece, 2*20.00= $ 40.00.
(considering the size and weight, or lack there of, shipping is included).

This is just what I paid for a one off deal. I'm sure the costs will drop with quantities.

Anyone can leave me a personal msg or reply to this thread.
Dave Estep, (dlestep).
zymurgist
Neat stuff. Babydoll has one headlight that I was unable to ever get to align correctly. I don't know whether this was due to wear surfaces wearing out, or accident damage.
dlestep
QUOTE(zymurgist @ Aug 2 2009, 11:08 AM) *

Neat stuff. Babydoll has one headlight that I was unable to ever get to align correctly. I don't know whether this was due to wear surfaces wearing out, or accident damage.

...remove the top cover (screws on the side) and watch the motion when some else activates the switch. In the up position, see if there is any motion by moving the push rod. check the pivot pin. see if the small M6 nut is loose. if it is, remove the nut and check the threads of the pivot pin. if it has been operating with the loose nut, then there may be wear on the base of the thread and thats where it may fail. Also check the initial alignment of the bearing brackets. One side is slotted. the outboard bearing plates are in the fender well. loosen the screws and see if you can place the assembly in the correct position. that may only be the problem, however; we are talking 30 plus years of wear on the original bushings from the electrical motors out to the headlight assemblies. If your headlights jiggle over bumps and what not, these may help that.
JazonJJordan
smash.gif Cool work Dave, I don't think this has been well covered before-Thanks! shades.gif
dlestep
I was surprised at the total lack of interest on this. idea.gif

I was inspired by the few 914s locally and alot of the photographs of 914s with
at least one light out of wack when closed. Not from adjustment but from worn
bushings. A couple of 914s driving behind me at night had jittering headlights,
not from a stiff suspension, but from a loose assembly.
I have also noticed that it is usually just one light, not both.

...The costs for items that I have listed are for my 914, and at a one off deal,
Not the costs for a group of people that have interest.
I was sure that I wasn't the only one with a 35 year old car with worn bushings.

Besides, I am not bumping these costs with profit for myself. The costs would
go totally to the machinist. I was attempting to provide components that I
haven't seen on any website, parts house or otherwise.
The headlight pivot bushings are available only when you purchase the
headlight assembly. I have yet to see the push rod bushings available anywhere,
and the pivot pins, don't appear anywhere as well.

(with your headlights up, if you can move the assembly with your finger, replacing
the bushings on the both the headlight support tube and the push rod will remove
any play in that assembly. The only other thing that will cause the slight movement
would be the at the electric motor drive pin, <rear position on the push rod>.
That component can also wear and allow movement as well).

So......The question was if anyone is interested, I will talk with the machinist on
a group deal.
Even if there is only a few interested, I can get them for you.
Again this is not for my profit, just providing a source of NLA parts for 914 owners
on this website.
Dave type.gif
Todd Enlund
Dave, post it in the garage.
Gint
I'm interested in these parts for my /6 restoration.

The member/vendor forum is for members that are vendors that intend to produce and sell parts, presumably on an ongoing basis. It really isn't read or responded to on a daily basis by the members at large like the garage. If you were to produce these parts for sale on a regular basis, then an announcement in the garage that your providing this product with a link to a thread in member/vendor forum would be the thing to do.

If you want to put together a group buy type of situation for these parts, that's different and this thread certainly could go to the garage.

What do you want to do?
dlestep
QUOTE(Gint @ Aug 9 2009, 11:09 AM) *

I'm interested in these parts for my /6 restoration.

The member/vendor forum is for members that are vendors that intend to produce and sell parts, presumably on an ongoing basis. It really isn't read or responded to on a daily basis by the members at large like the garage. If you were to produce these parts for sale on a regular basis, then an announcement in the garage that your providing this product with a link to a thread in member/vendor forum would be the thing to do.

If you want to put together a group buy type of situation for these parts, that's different and this thread certainly could go to the garage.

What do you want to do?

...please move this thread to the garage. My whole intent was to provide these to anyone on the website who needs them. The machinist is who I use from work. He's really good at what he does. I can talk to him about quantities and schedule. I guess that I will be helping with the addresses to ship to.
I just saw a need and I'm trying to meet it. thanks for your help in this.
Dave
stepuptotheMike
I would be interested in at least parts 1 & 2.

Mike
dlestep
...so far, I have started a chart on who's interested

zymuquist_________is reviewing need
Gint______________is interested
stepuptothemike____is interested in items 1 and 2.

I have also talked a little bit with the machinist and spoke of quantities and possible schedule. It will be a little easier if I have a list to work by, but if the run up is slow on the website, I could initiate a limited short run of quantities. I will be talking with the machinist Monday on the short run. That would make the turnaround shorter for the initial purchases.
Just as a point of interest, I will be checking all components for intermating part fit against real parts as acceptance/rejection prior to shipping.
Dave type.gif
jmill
I seriously appreciate you going the extra mile on this one and offering them up for a group buy. Right now I'm far from rebuilding the headlights. Hopefully there will be a time in the not so distant future when I can improve the minor items. Unfortunately, getting the front passenger fender welded back on and installing flares is at the top of my list. Don't get frustrated by the lack of interest. The reason I come here is guys like you that help out the group.

John

pray.gif
scottb

my car is in pretty good shape so i need to find a way to spend $$$ on it and a reason to tear it apart. this fits the bill. put me down for the whole lot....

cheers,

scott

dlestep
QUOTE(scottb @ Aug 9 2009, 04:33 PM) *

my car is in pretty good shape so i need to find a way to spend $$$ on it and a reason to tear it apart. this fits the bill. put me down for the whole lot....

cheers,

scott

...gotcha on the list for headlight bushings, push rod bushings and pivot pin.

Tonight, I will be updating the photo of the full assembly. It will be more straight forward and easier to discern.
thanks,
Dave
dlestep
updated pic of components....
Click to view attachment

The vendor cost of item 1, (4) is $ 8.00 a piece, 4*8=$ 32.00.
The vendor cost of item 2, (4) is $ 8.00 a piece, 4*8=$ 32.00.
The vendor cost of item 3, (2) is $20.00 a piece, 2*20.00= $ 40.00.
(considering the size and weight, or lack there of, shipping is included).

Anyone can leave me a personal msg or reply to this thread.
Dave Estep, (dlestep). type.gif
McMark
I'm interested in two sets.
dlestep

...OK, WHO SAT ON MY PICTURE ?
dlestep
QUOTE(McMark @ Aug 9 2009, 11:37 PM) *

I'm interested in two sets.

wonderful ! Makes me feel good...
...is that two sets, meaning left and right assemblies for one car?
...or is that two sets (complete) for two cars?
dlestep
...Survey Says...

Click to view attachment

I will be updating this daily. At the end of the week, I will tally the early short run.
If there are any errors in this sheet, as I update it, please contact me and I will correct the count.
thanks,
Dave
dlestep
...the machinist will be in my office tomorrow at 1100 hrs. We will be going over tolerances and kit definition and quantities. I performed a tolerance study on each of the components and found two dimensional changes on the bushings.

The motor side bushing of the push rod needs an additional .00152 split on the ID and OD of the pivot pin bushing on the push rod needs an additional .00325.,
at least on my push rods.

All of the components fit well, but the have 1 degree of play that I want to remove. With the rocking arc movement of the headlight stepper motor, I would like to limit the motion to one plane.
I would like some cross data, if anyone has headlight push rods that are out of the car, I would appreciate 5 place decimal reads on the ID, so hopefully, a few reads from someone with a caliper would be good. (thanks in advance).

I will be adding washers and .250-28UNF-3B Nylon Insert, Hex Nuts to the kit, for the pivot pin install, so everyone goes out clean.

If anyone else wants to jump on this, I am arranging a short run of 10 sets. I will let everyone know, on the list, when they are ready.

Now I have to arrange a paypal account or something and get everyone's mailing address.

Dave type.gif
McMark
Two cars.
d914
add one full set...
Sleepin
Very nice! I would order two full sets if I had the $$ right now! Awesome setup and great work!
pilothyer
Dave...Great Idea !! I'm interested in enough for 2 cars....Jerry
JazonJJordan
idea.gif I greatly appreciate your motive and efforts and has seen many perplexed at the delayed discovery of very useful offers like this.
santa_smiley.gif Please don't be discouraged- It is a broad site and with family and work, it takes weeks sometimes for something to be widely "discovered".
smash.gif Everyone- is here because of our interest and everything that propels us to completion or maintains the 914 (of course).
flag.gif You have a specialty item that solves a real need and may take just a little time to percolate like coffee- through the group.
Thank you for being an active contributor- Jzn shades.gif

I am in on the group buy for one -car- replacement set possibly two biggrin.gif -Jzn
jeeperjohn56
Hey Dave, Is the price you have on items 1,2 3 enough for one car? both head lights? If so I would be down for a set. Thanks John driving.gif
dlestep
QUOTE(jeeperjohn56 @ Sep 20 2009, 04:09 AM) *

Hey Dave, Is the price you have on items 1,2 3 enough for one car? both head lights? If so I would be down for a set. Thanks John driving.gif

One kit is for one car. The price is $88.00 + 2.82 (paypal) = $90.82
PM me with your address. I ship no charge, through USPS.
You came on the end of the 15 kit run. It will be about a week before I can
get the vendor to start another run. When they are ready, I will PM you with my
paypal address when I have them in my hands.
see other posts with installation instructions and updated information, and receipts.
This is an old post.
search on 914 HDLT
Dave
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.