Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: burning 914-6
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
campbellcj
QUOTE(RobW @ Apr 29 2010, 12:33 PM) *

So what's the best course of action? Fuel cut off, changing fuel lines every 3-5 years?

I would say #1 thing is to check all fuel lines, connections, tank and induction system thoroughly and frequently.

Years ago I could have lost my previous D-Jet 914 2.0 due to a cracked injector. It was spewing gas right on top of the engine, over the heat exchangers. Fortunately an angel or something gave me a nudge and I popped the lid and noticed it before driving to work that day.

My current car is track-prepped of course so everything related to fuel (and brakes) has been replaced and upgraded, but "stuff" can still go wrong at any time.
Porcharu
I hate seeing this thread every time it gets bumped - such a nice car. Exactly what I want mine to look like.
charliew
You know I think about my sons suby, when we first fired up the new motor we ran it for about fifteen minutes at 2500 to try and break the new cams and buckets in and it was after dark. We were in my shop with the door open for the exhaust to go outside with the shop lights on and I put a fan on in front of the radiator and just happen to look down for leaks and the headers were glowing dull red, I can see how easy it would be to have a bad thing happen. I haven't checked any of my fire extenguishers in several years. I hate to say it but if it had caught on fire I would have pushed it outside before going for the waterhose.
Cairo94507
I have heard of 914's catching fire before and burning to the ground. Very sad whether the car is a 4 or a 6. I can guarantee you when my six is being re-built it is going to have an on-board fire system installed with sufficient nozzles to hopefully address any problem should there ever be a problem. Very awakening pictures. Hopefully we will all give this some serious thought. Very sad loss.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Apr 29 2010, 01:23 PM) *

Is this 914 being rebuilt?

I'm not sure. The fire has weakened the metal and made it very soft.

You probably would have to find a '72 chassis and do a VIN swap ...
popcorn[1].gif Andy
DEC
shades.gif
cary
Weeping fuel injectors and aged fuel lines. The car I'm refreshing right now has both.
I'm refreshing the $1000 car my oldest drove thru high school. It will be my forever daily driver. Might think about putting in a fire system after seeing this. Both sons were taught if you smell gas. Don't start the car, call dad.
DEC
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 30 2010, 08:03 PM) *

QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Apr 29 2010, 01:23 PM) *

Is this 914 being rebuilt?

I'm not sure. The fire has weakened the metal and made it very soft.

You probably would have to find a '72 chassis and do a VIN swap ...
popcorn[1].gif Andy

The six is on a good way for a rebirth.
But the hunt for good OE sheet metal is the challenge.
We are on the way to get the last missing parts.

The engine will be again a 2.7S but now converted to carbs
away from the cr@ppy high pressure K-Jetronic.

The six is actual 60% done so I think it will be back on
the street in the next 24 months. .....hopefully

porbmw
Nice!
Please keep us posted....
and of course thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
Cairo94507
Very glad to hear this car is on the way to being back on the road again. Hopefully a fire supression system is in the build sheet.
SirAndy
QUOTE(DEC @ Jun 19 2012, 03:25 AM) *
The six is actual 60% done so I think it will be back on the street in the next 24 months. .....hopefully

smilie_pokal.gif
racerbvd
Glad to see that you are saving her...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.