Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: To Shim or Not to Shim...that is the question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Porsche Rescue
Just had my flywheel resurfaced. Only removed .011. I think it is the first time it has been turned. I can't find a shim washer in my stock less than .020. Do I even need to bother? And if so should I go thick at .020 or try to find a thinner washer?
orange914
QUOTE(Porsche Rescue @ Aug 4 2009, 11:17 AM) *

Just had my flywheel resurfaced. Only removed .011. I think it is the first time it has been turned. I can't find a shim washer in my stock less than .020. Do I even need to bother? And if so should I go thick at .020 or try to find a thinner washer?

wait... shimming is for setting the crack movement, what am i missing? if you remove material on a "stepped" flywheel clutch surface the same amount should be removed where the pressure plate boltts down.
Porsche Rescue
.011 was removed from both flywheel surfaces. I am referring to the pivot bolt on the front of the tranny which supports the throwout lever. I'm told that it needs to be shimmed out, away from the tranny, closer to the clutch/flywheel to maintain the proper geometry for the throwout lever/bearing.
I am questioning whether that is necessary when the change is so small (.011").
Cap'n Krusty
While you could probably get by without a shim, I'd be inclined to use one. .020" should be fine. Clean the threads (both the stud and the case insert) and use Loctite on them

The Cap'n
Porsche Rescue
Thank you Cap'n. It will be done.
Porsche Rescue
Oops. My ignorance is exposed. Is there a washer under the stud from the factory?
I just removed the stud and there is a washer under it, .055". If it was added, so much for my theory that the flywheel had not been cut before.
Assume I should add the .020. Or I guess I could seek perfection and replace the .055 with a couple that add to .065 or so.

EDIT: OK, scratch that. Checked PET and lo there be a washer under the pin (900 025 007 02). With that addition to my education, I shall add my .020 thingy (no known part number) to the mix. Thanks again Cap'n.
r_towle
sounds like a plan.
Is the clutch fork straight? they do get bent...

You have plenty of thread on the cable so add the waher.

Rich
Porsche Rescue
Thanks Rich.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.