Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: PORSCHE lettering on engine lid
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RiqueMar
I'm having some trouble getting the gold lettering off the grille, specifically with the rubber grommets that hook to the backside.

Any suggestions? WD40? Heat?
jt914-6
You'll probably have to buy new keepers after you remove the old ones. I'm sure, depending on year, that the letters may be plastic......so, heat is out. Either way, I wouldn't use heat. The keepers are round metal with a hole in the center wrapped by rubber. The best way I have found is to get some good needle nose and try to "unscrew" them. Be careful though, the studs they go on could break. Take your time......
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Aug 5 2009, 03:07 PM) *

I'm having some trouble getting the gold lettering off the grille, specifically with the rubber grommets that hook to the backside.

Any suggestions? WD40? Heat?

We squeeze the grommets with pliers which opens the hole allows the grommets to come off very easily without damaging the lettering studs and destroys the grommets!!! New factory ones are readily available
JoeSharp
I use a set of small vice grips, set them to crush the washer and it comes right off. Ace hardware has a spring clip washer for $.03 that can replace them if your not a C/W.
PanelBilly
USE A CHAINSAW
I need time to catch up and I figure if he takes a few steps backward, that will give me more time.
RiqueMar
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Aug 5 2009, 04:39 PM) *

USE A CHAINSAW
I need time to catch up and I figure if he takes a few steps backward, that will give me more time.

No way Billy, we all know that by nature Orange is faster than Blue even in the build stages.

It's science.

BTW

I still need to write you a check, but don't know where to send it.
Rand
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Aug 5 2009, 04:39 PM) *

USE A CHAINSAW

lol-2.gif

Rique, you already got your answer, just confirming another vote to pinch them with pliers. They slip right off if you relax their grip.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.