Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: yet another distributor question.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JOE M
welcome.png I posted earlier in the week about my 009 distributor woes. I took it apart and it was filled with crud. I did not completely break it down but I did clean it the best I could.I found that the weights were stuck and did not move freely.They still bind a little and I am not sure if that is acceptable. Also I see that there is only 1 spring inside. Is that the way it is supposed to be. What should I look for to make it work properly. I already know that these are not the best but if I can optimize it I will for now.

Click to view attachment
Shade Tree
There are two springs in an 009. They break. My car came with an 009 and barely ran to get it home because of only having one spring in the 009. Take it apart, use fine sandpaper and grease to free it up. Which grease is the question. I think you are only supposed to use Bosch grease. Hopefully somebody will chime in with something else safe to use. I go to the Porsche shop and the guy puts a little Bosch grease on some saran wrap for me.
jt914-6
It has two springs. The other one attaches opposite of the one in the pic. Use Bosch dist. grease and put a couple drops of oil on the felt at the top of the points cam that the rotor covers when in place. The felt can be seen in the pic. I would suggest getting two new springs...
JOE M
QUOTE(Shade Tree @ Aug 11 2009, 03:41 PM) *

There are two springs in an 009. They break. My car came with an 009 and barely ran to get it home because of only having one spring in the 009. Take it apart, use fine sandpaper and grease to free it up. Which grease is the question. I think you are only supposed to use Bosch grease. Hopefully somebody will chime in with something else safe to use. I go to the Porsche shop and the guy puts a little Bosch grease on some saran wrap for me.

O.K what about the weights--If I push on them they do not spring back. Is that how they work or should they somehow spring back?
r_towle
they should spring back.
they get thrown out when it revs up.

You should be able to take out the wieghts with the plate and all.

Rich
JOE M
QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 11 2009, 04:20 PM) *

they should spring back.
they get thrown out when it revs up.

You should be able to take out the wieghts with the plate and all.

Rich

Is it easy to get out. Here is whats going on.I can easily push the weights out but they just stay there. There is absolutely no return but I can easily move them back. If I shake the dizzy the weights will move freely but there is no spring tension pulling it back. I am going to take this thing apart and see whats up.
r_towle
I think....
look at the bottom.
you remove the spring pin from the lower gear....try to remember the relationship between that gear and the rotor angle so you dont put it back 180 degrees off.....it happens.

If you remove that pin, the lower pieces come off and (I think) you can push the shaft up and out....with the weights.

Rich
JOE M
Well I think I will take it to work tomorrow to fix it. I got most of the crap out with w.d 40 but we have grease at work that says it is used for distributors. I forget what its called but it is a white clear color. Also the weigght that has the spring still attached also has a couple other parts that the other does not. It has a pad near the spring and a white plastic piece at the other end. The second has neither.Should they be mirrors of each other. Also the weight with the spring has a second piece of metal on top of it and the other does not.I think you can see it in the picture.
r_towle
your wasting your time. cant get the parts.
Buy/borrow/another distributor.

Lemme think.
Try here, on this site. two guys

William Harris
and/or
partsman

There are a few others around I need to try and remember.
One of these guys has a spare distributor.

Where do you work?
School Street Auto in Acton MA will have all the distributors you could possibly want.

Bill Wollcott (vw (at) charter (dot) net) will have what you need for sure.
He is in rutland MA, near Worcester
Big stock pile of VW parts.

Hmmmm
Look up gfulcher here....he lives in SFC now, but he has his parts here, in MA at a friends place....he might have one.

Try them...I will keep thinking

Rich
r_towle
If you go to the VW show (which happens to be this sunday.....and yes you can drive the jag)
You will certainly score a distributor...there will be boxes of them there...

August 16, 2009
Terryville Fairgrounds - 129-176 Town Hill Road, Terryville, CT. 06786
Chuck Pisconski - Email: vwsplitman@sbcglobal.net
(860)-283-5256
Box 24, Plymouth, CT. 06782
JOE M
Rich it`s a wonder that this car ran at all with all the stuff wrong with it.I remember you said that the timing just did not seem right.I`m glad that I took this apart though because it answers more questions about timing it. 1 thing after another cant wait to find the next thing wrong with it.
JOE M
QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 11 2009, 05:42 PM) *

If you go to the VW show (which happens to be this sunday.....and yes you can drive the jag)
You will certainly score a distributor...there will be boxes of them there...

August 16, 2009
Terryville Fairgrounds - 129-176 Town Hill Road, Terryville, CT. 06786
Chuck Pisconski - Email: vwsplitman@sbcglobal.net
(860)-283-5256
Box 24, Plymouth, CT. 06782

Damn that sucks because im going camping this weekend. oh well!!!
r_towle
There is camping there....on saturday...lol

Rich
JOE M
QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 11 2009, 05:51 PM) *

There is camping there....on saturday...lol

Rich

Too funny I can see it now--I will tell my wife I found a better camping site than her favorite and we end up at a swap meet for old 914 parts. Hmmm she might become suspicious and I would probably spend a lot of money I dont have. LOL-
I will look into a different dizzy hopefully tomorrow.
r_towle
Its a big field...lots of people camping with bone fires....she wont notice the difference.

Then when you wake up....look honey...its a vw show..lets got take a look...

Rich
JOE M
QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 11 2009, 06:11 PM) *

Its a big field...lots of people camping with bone fires....she wont notice the difference.

Then when you wake up....look honey...its a vw show..lets got take a look...

Rich

Did I mention it`s our anniverssary. We wanted to do smoething different this year so we decided to go camping.Last year we spent $1000 and went to a resort. Maybe that could be my angle. I saved us $900 dollars so why not put it in the Porsche. This is 914 madness. It seems like my life is now revolving around my car. What a freaking sick hobby but I love it.
r_towle
I will arrive nice and early and drive up to your tent to wake you up....Ill bring her flowers for your anniversary....

You can get her to buy you a distributor for your anniversary.

Rich
SLITS
QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 11 2009, 06:27 PM) *

I will arrive nice and early and drive up to your tent to wake you up....Ill bring her flowers for your anniversary....

You can get her to buy you a distributor for your anniversary.

Rich

I would surmise that the distributor better have a big ass diamond pendant hung around it. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.