Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What's that Click..click...click...?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kenshapiro2002
When I turn my key all the way, right before it engages the starter, it (fuel pump? Solenoid?) goes "click...click...click" about ten times, with diminishing frequency and stops. Again, this is before engaging the starter.
r_towle
QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Aug 13 2009, 07:33 PM) *

When I turn my key all the way, right before it engages the starter, it (fuel pump? Solenoid?) goes "click...click...click" about ten times, with diminishing frequency and stops. Again, this is before engaging the starter.

its most likely your fuel pump building pressure.

Have someone turn the key so you can track it down.
After pressure is built up in the fuel system, its quiets down.

Rich
JOE M
im going with fuel pump.
kenshapiro2002
That's what I thought. Just wondering of that's a "normal" fuel pump behavior as some are suggesting my current "fuel starvation" issue might be the pump. I still suspect carbs (gonna rebuild), or some kinda intake manifold leak thing.

QUOTE(JOE M @ Aug 13 2009, 07:39 PM) *

im going with fuel pump.

orange914
QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Aug 13 2009, 04:56 PM) *

That's what I thought. Just wondering of that's a "normal" fuel pump behavior as some are suggesting my current "fuel starvation" issue might be the pump. I still suspect carbs (gonna rebuild), or some kinda intake manifold leak thing.

QUOTE(JOE M @ Aug 13 2009, 07:39 PM) *

im going with fuel pump.

fuel pump. it builds pressure for a few clicks then times out. UNLESS someone has bypassed and hot wired the pump to ign. seems to be common after 35 years and many hands of past owners
jmill
When you find it chances are it'll look something like this.

You might want to change over to the CB rotary.
kenshapiro2002
Yeah...I believe it's hanging out right next to my fuel filter...under the battery area. What is a "CB rotary" and why would I want to switch over? Thanks in advance for the guidance.

QUOTE(jmill @ Aug 13 2009, 08:42 PM) *

jmill
Check it out here - http://www.cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=577

It's much quieter and regulated at 3.5 psi. It will supply much more volume to your carbs at a constant pressure. Them tick tick jobs are too loud for me and drop off in pressure at higher flow.
jmill
Here's the facet style: http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/product...acet_Fuel_Pumps

As you can see it flows 15 gph at 1 psi where the rotary flows 30 gph at 3.5.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Aug 13 2009, 05:59 PM) *

Yeah...I believe it's hanging out right next to my fuel filter...under the battery area. What is a "CB rotary" and why would I want to switch over? Thanks in advance for the guidance.

"Why"? Because the Facet pumps (or Empi, or whatever brand they are now) are junk. Were junk, are junk, and will always be junk. And they're not even cheap anymore, so they have NOTHING going for them. Except maybe the clicking .........

The Cap'n
kenshapiro2002
Thanks,
Ken
QUOTE(jmill @ Aug 13 2009, 09:09 PM) *

Check it out here - http://www.cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=577

It's much quieter and regulated at 3.5 psi. It will supply much more volume to your carbs at a constant pressure. Them tick tick jobs are too loud for me and drop off in pressure at higher flow.

jmill
QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Aug 13 2009, 07:59 PM) *

You will want to relocate the pump. Placing it closer to the tank will let it push the fuel instead of pulling it. It works better that way. Most place it under the tank where they can get at the filter through the access hole.

Having a less than stellar pump located so far from tank will contribute to fuel starvation issues.
kenshapiro2002
What's this one look to be?

Click to view attachment
ME733
popcorn[1].gif There CAN BE a significant advantage to the CLICKING PUMP...If you pay attention....Sense, or time the clicks before it stops....IF IT KEEPS CLICKING you have a FUEL LEAK.,or a stuck and open float needle valve(now flooding your engine), or possably you are out of fuel (your guage broke),or ...can we think of some more advantages?...You do not hear it when the engine is running,so whats a little noise..use it as a tool. popcorn[1].gif
kenshapiro2002
Good point...makes sense. The clicking does stop if I wait until I hit the "ignition" with the key; it only clicks about 10 times I'm guessing.

QUOTE(ME733 @ Aug 13 2009, 11:30 PM) *

popcorn[1].gif There CAN BE a significant advantage to the CLICKING PUMP...If you pay attention....Sense, or time the clicks before it stops....IF IT KEEPS CLICKING you have a FUEL LEAK.,or a stuck and open float needle valve(now flooding your engine), or possably you are out of fuel (your guage broke),or ...can we think of some more advantages?...You do not hear it when the engine is running,so whats a little noise..use it as a tool. popcorn[1].gif

sww914
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Aug 13 2009, 06:27 PM) *

QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Aug 13 2009, 05:59 PM) *

"Why"? Because the Facet pumps (or Empi, or whatever brand they are now) are junk. Were junk, are junk, and will always be junk. And they're not even cheap anymore, so they have NOTHING going for them. Except maybe the clicking .........

The Cap'n

Well said. They are only to be paired with Weber/Holley progressive carbs. smile.gif
jmill
QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Aug 13 2009, 10:22 PM) *

You got me there. I have never seen one like that. It looks in dire need of replacement though. I don't mess around with fuel system components. I've seen too many engine fire carnage pictures.
jt914-6
I agree with jmill. Relocate the NEW pump to the front along with a filter. Put the filter between the tank and pump. Consider a new line through the tunnel and all the way to the carb.
jmill
QUOTE(ME733 @ Aug 13 2009, 10:30 PM) *

That's a new one. I don't know too many folks that defend the clicky pump. If you keep your fuel system maintained you don't have to worry about leaks or stuck floats. How can having 1 psi at 15 gph be better than 30 gph at a constant 3.5 psi? At high rpm, when you need the most fuel, your clicky pump can't hang. Fuel pressure with that thing goes up and down like a yo-yo. The major disadvantages outweight your perception of any advantage.
kenshapiro2002
What access hole? Is there one in the pan below the tank?

Most place it under the tank where they can get at the filter through the access hole.

jmill
QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Aug 13 2009, 11:23 PM) *

Yup. Passenger side. Round cover. If you pull that cover off you can get to the bottom of the tank. It's big enough to get one hand in and reach the tank fittings.

Look here. Nice thread on the topic. http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...mp;hl=fuel+pump
orange914
QUOTE(jmill @ Aug 13 2009, 09:32 PM) *

Yup. Passenger side. Round cover. If you pull that cover off you can get to the bottom of the tank. It's big enough to get one hand in and reach the tank fittings.

Look here. Nice thread on the topic. http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...mp;hl=fuel+pump

aren't front fuel pump access holes only on 74 and up?
kenshapiro2002
I know my '70 doesn't have one. Besides (going against the wisdom amassed here), seems to be more access room right where it is than under the tank (regardless of access holes big enough for one hand), and unless heat (vapor lock) is an issue, how much can six feet difference make to a pump picking up gas from a gravity fed hose ?

QUOTE(orange914 @ Aug 14 2009, 01:31 AM) *

QUOTE(jmill @ Aug 13 2009, 09:32 PM) *

aren't front fuel pump access holes only on 74 and up?

warrenoliver
QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Aug 13 2009, 10:22 PM) *

Click to view attachment

OMG, huh.gif change those clamps on the fuel hoses before the CAP'N sees em! happy11.gif

Warrenoliver
jmill
QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Aug 14 2009, 10:01 AM) *

I know my '70 doesn't have one. Besides (going against the wisdom amassed here), seems to be more access room right where it is than under the tank (regardless of access holes big enough for one hand), and unless heat (vapor lock) is an issue, how much can six feet difference make to a pump picking up gas from a gravity fed hose ?

I have the access hole on my 73. I believe your thinking of a different hole. I'm talking about the round hole to access the tank fittings not the fuel pump access hole. Place the pump where you wish. It's your car. There was logic behind Porsche moving it up front in 74 and why all OEM's now place the pump in the tank.
orange914
QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Aug 14 2009, 08:01 AM) *

yes, vapor lock is one of the issues. many benifits to front mounted pumps
ME733
QUOTE(jmill @ Aug 14 2009, 12:18 AM) *

QUOTE(ME733 @ Aug 13 2009, 10:30 PM) *

That's a new one. I don't know too many folks that defend the clicky pump. If you keep your fuel system maintained you don't have to worry about leaks or stuck floats. How can having 1 psi at 15 gph be better than 30 gph at a constant 3.5 psi? At high rpm, when you need the most fuel, your clicky pump can't hang. Fuel pressure with that thing goes up and down like a yo-yo. The major disadvantages outweight your perception of any advantage.

shades.gif You are entitled to your opinion , no matter how flawed Your perceptions are....The facit fuel pump in my car puts out 12 PSI., and I use a fuel pressure regulator , set at 3.0 psi for dual webbers with a 2.0 displacement engine. unregulated it fills a 1/2 gallon jug FAST...The facit Pumps are inadequate in a race car, or a BIG bore engine. For a street car they are adequate., Rotery pumps, in general are good.however I have had two of the very high dollar roterys fail by siezure. and as previously stated the clickty pumps have some advantages over the silent rotary pumps. Not every owner maintaines their car to the Ultra high standards you apparently do. shades.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.