Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Trunk Pivot
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JWest
My latest creation is a replacement for the failure-prone original rear trunk pivot base and bolt.

The new design moves the actual pivot from the bore in the hinge to a larger rod end which will not gall or rust.

Once the old mount is removed, the new assembly can be installed after drilling four holes and a back-up plate reinforces the mounting area. The bolt-in design leaves adjustability to get the trunk alignment correct.

Will work with the original torsion bars or the Camp914 shock kit.

The price will be about $65 for a kit to do both sides.

Whatcha think?
JWest
srfghj
F4i
I'm on that like a fat kid on a smartie! clap56.gif Now I just need to brush up on my 914 trivia.
SirAndy
looks good, but why? confused24.gif

the original hinge plate thing is still available ...
Andy
F4i
They bust off though. Also because I had to replace my trunk and it does not quite line up correctly. I like it for the adjustment.
JWest
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 8 2004, 10:09 PM)
looks good, but why? confused24.gif

the original hinge plate thing is still available ...
Andy

Here are my reasons:

Because my first 914 that was very low miles and very well cared for had a broken pivot.

I don't like welding new parts on the car only to have them break again in a few years.

Many people can't do the replacement themselves because they can't weld.

When you replace the original it must be positioned perfectly (or really close at least) to have the trunk sit at the correct height when finished.

Because this MUCH better design is not much more $ than the original parts.
McMark
Make them weld it in. Bolt on stuff looks so tacky. Otherwise the kit looks good even though I agree with Andy.
JWest
QUOTE(markd@mac.com @ Mar 9 2004, 01:23 AM)
Make them weld it in. Bolt on stuff looks so tacky. Otherwise the kit looks good even though I agree with Andy.

The problem with welding it in is that it will rip off the thin sheet metal eventually. Bolting it on with a back-up plate alleviates this problem.
TheCabinetmaker
James, I have a car in the shop now that needs both sides. Are they available now?

Thanks, Curt
ChrisFoley
Actually, if that plate was welded around the perimeter it would probably not tear out. There is very little twisting force applied, as there is in the original system.
I like it either way, bolted or welded.
I have a number of sets of another bolt in solution, but I like this better. It looks sturdy enough to me, and it's adjustable. smile.gif
jfort
just emailed camp914. this will work with that as i understand it. also, i assume you will provide good installation instructions as you did with the shifter. if so, count me in. when available?
JWest
QUOTE(jfort @ Mar 9 2004, 09:03 AM)
just emailed camp914.  this will work with that as i understand it.  also, i assume you will provide good installation instructions as you did with the shifter.  if so, count me in.  when available?

Actually, I just ordered trunk shox from Camp914 also!

Instructions will be included. You can pre-order now and they will start shipping the end of next week.
tat2dphreak
looks great! yet 1 more product/upgrade I need to buy from you, James biggrin.gif though this one may be a while, the PO of my car fixed them, so they should last a little while. unsure.gif
JWest
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Mar 9 2004, 09:09 AM)
looks great! yet 1 more product/upgrade I need to buy from you, James biggrin.gif though this one may be a while, the PO of my car fixed them, so they should last a little while. unsure.gif

Make sure those original pivots stay greased - that will extend the life considerably (and save your money for other cool stuff)!
maf914
James,

Looks good. Will it include a mounting template so that the location isn't guesswork?

Mike
JWest
QUOTE(maf914 @ Mar 9 2004, 09:36 AM)
James,

Looks good. Will it include a mounting template so that the location isn't guesswork?

Mike

The way I laid out the holes, you can fit the trunk pivot, line up the trunk, and drill 3 of the holes with the trunk fitted. The last hole can be drilled with the trunk hinged open a bit.

This gets you as close as possible, and loose-fit holes allow you to adjust from there.
Brad Roberts
It is a toss up for me. I dont even measure to weld the new ones in any more. They all fit back into the same place. The only ones I see ripped out are the ones where people have let the plastic rollers break away and/or let the pivot bolt gets so rusty that it seizes.

I like this part James. I see it as a good alternative for the home user who cant/doesnt weld and needs a solution. If people ask for it.. I'll sell it.

B
Scott S
LOVE it. I can see serious fatigue on my anally watched/greased pivots. I have been opening the trunk like it is made of glass for over a year. As long as getting it indexed is explained, I am most definitely in for a pair - and the rear shock kit.
Great job pray.gif
IronHillRestorations
Another excellent solution James! A very nice bolt in set up with adjustability.

What I've been doing is welding some angle pieces (bent from 16ga) to reinforce the stock pieces. This is in an old Upfixen Der Porsche from PCA.

Another thing I found in Upfixen was a mod to the pivot shoulder bolt. You machine a groove along the bearing surface of the bolt, drill down the center of the bolt and tap it for a grease fitting. Then a drill a small hole crossways through the bolt , and through your new groove. This way you can grease the shoulder bolt.

Good work!

PK cool.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.