Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Spark Plug GAp
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jim_hoyland
I'm running a Bosch blue coil, Mallory unilite, and MSD 6. The MSD went in 2 weeks ago and I did not change the spark plug gap. Runs fine. Should the gap be increased ? or is it only increased if you run the Blaster coil.

messix
.040 -.045 is safe.
J P Stein
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Aug 16 2009, 01:10 PM) *

Should the gap be increased ? or is it only increased if you run the Blaster coil.

Leave it at the stock settings. With the Blaster you can go to .045-.050.
MDG
MSD 6AL, Blaster Coil; gapped at .050 - works great on mine. The -6 that is.
yeahmag
Mallory Unilite, Mallory 6AL, and a Blue Coil - Gaped at .040 (NGK B6ES-11 is pre-gaped at .040")
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(yeahmag @ Aug 16 2009, 11:59 PM) *

Mallory Unilite, Mallory 6AL, and a Blue Coil - Gaped at .040 (NGK B6ES-11 is pre-gaped at .040")

Is the NGK B6ES-11 a cooler plug ?
yeahmag
Stock NGK replacement plug for the 914. The "-11" signifies the .040" pre-gap. The advantage there is that the plug is built for the gap. Otherwise, bending the electrode out on a "standard" plug will result in a non-parallel plug gap.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(yeahmag @ Aug 17 2009, 09:48 AM) *

Stock NGK replacement plug for the 914. The "-11" signifies the .040" pre-gap. The advantage there is that the plug is built for the gap. Otherwise, bending the electrode out on a "standard" plug will result in a non-parallel plug gap.

Thanks for the lesson; never knew that. How is a standard NGK gap plug designated ?
J P Stein
I mis-spoke, I'm afraid. The blue coil comes up short with a big gap on plugs whem used over 6K rpms firing 6 cylinders. It may work out fine for those not going there.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Aug 17 2009, 01:58 PM) *

I mis-spoke, I'm afraid. The blue coil comes up short with a big gap on plugs whem used over 6K rpms firing 6 cylinders. It may work out fine for those not going there.

My '75 is a 1.8L 4 banger with the L-Jet; nothing special, but I did upgrade to the Mallory and MSD. Truly runs smoother through all RPMs.
yeahmag
The standard NGK is just a B6ES (no -11 designation)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.