Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear Caliper Rebuild
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
19144jt
I thought I posted this last night but my crappy lighting-fast dial-up must have messed it up. Any way, I rebuilt my rear calipers using the Pelican article and kits recommended in said atricle. I was very careful with the rebuild. Yesterday I installed all new e-brake cables and adjusted them. However, my ebrake doesn't work. I haven't bleed the brakes yet but you shouldn't have to have to have fluid in the calipers for the e-brake to work...right? I adjusted the venting clearance in the outer half of the caliper. Is there an intial adjustment required for the inner half too that relates to the e-brake mechanism? I can't find any information on this in either the factory or aftermarket manuals. Any ideas?

John
underthetire
Yes you need to bleed the brakes first. First generation rear disks. Newer cars actually have drum E brakes inside the disk "hat".
r_towle
Actually, you do not need to bleed them for the e-brake to work.
You DO need to set the venting on both sides to the same distance...004 is the correct number. the haynes manual is wrong here.

We have discussed the number quite at length here.
Eric Shea makes a great point..
The difference between oo4 and 008 is so small..dont think about that.
Do set both the inner and outer the same or your ebrake wont work.

Rich
IronHillRestorations
Just an FYI, NO "regular" 914 or 914-6 came with the 911 style parking brake mechanism ("drum brakes inside the hat").
19144jt
Thanks guys....I'll try the adjustment. How do you get to it? There must be a hole through the arm or you have to take the caliper off.

John biggrin.gif
19144jt
Cancel that last thought! Duh, you couldn't set a clearance with the caliper off so there must be a hole through the arm!

John blink.gif
19144jt
I raced home last night in the water-cooled ride and, after doing chores for the wife, had time to adjust the inner pad on one rear caliper of my '75 914 project. That was it!! The e-brake works now. Thanks again guys!!

John
Eric_Shea
FYI for the ROW.

When you pull the inner piston in "completely" upon rebuild, the handbrake arm will be in-effective. The adjuster has been literally pulled in and away from the arm.

You will need to do what John did and turn the gear clockwise until the piston engages. Once you've reached the engagement point the piston will begin to adjust outward and the arm will now be engaged.

Readers Digest: Adjust them and everything will be fine.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.