Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Too Stiff For Auto-X
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nine14cats
Ran the first auto-x of the season on Saturday. I didn't have time to change the suspension from my track setup to auto-x setup so I just ran her like she was. Whoa....lotsa fun! I was bouncing all over the parking lot like a ping pong ball....It was actually alot of fun but not the fastest way around the course at Candlestick Park.

I had 450lbs springs in the rear....just a tad to stiff laugh.gif I'm at Buttonwillow this coming weekend for a Time Trial, but when I get back I have to get ready for another auto-x and this time she's going to get the 250lbsers I used last year. Much easier to turn the car when it isn't airborne.....

It's really amazing how the setups and the different venues make a car have multiple personalities. At Laguna Seca and Sears Point, the stiffer springs and rear wing make the car very easy to drive fast, stable and predictable. Turn in is awesome and overall the car inspires confidence. Go lower speed with uneven pavement and the car is a handful to drive.

As alot of people have said over and over....setup....setup....setup.....

Hey...If I didn't have to work to support my racing habit, I'd be able to setup the car in time! laugh.gif

Just thought I'd share my observations.

Bill P.
Demick
Bill

You need to change your avitar to show off your new paint job.

You might want to think twice about changing your setup before the next autox. Candlestick is extremely bumpy, but Marina is a good smooth surface, as is Alameda Point - and those are the locations of the next 2 events. So your 450 lb springs might not be a hinderance at those locations.

Results aren't out yet. What time did you get down to on Saturday. I managed a 52.009 (almost into the 51's). Not bad for a 4cyl on a horsepower course.

Demick
nine14cats
Hi Demick,

I had a ~50.7 run in the afternoon. Steve Nieslony had TTOD somewhere in the 49's and I think Hank Watts caught me on his last run as well...I don't know where Andrew Blyholder ended up...probably caught me too! laugh.gif

The car would probably still be too stiff for Marina or Alameda. She was really a handful and my wife was really fighting the car. Do you think I can be competitive for TTOD being that stiff?

I also couldn't get my tires to heat up (slicks) so they never did feel sticky.

Thanks,

Bill P.
Demick
QUOTE(nine14cats @ Mar 9 2004, 10:01 AM)
Do you think I can be competitive for TTOD being that stiff?

I don't know - I just wanted to point out that Candlestick is very bumpy (as you know), while Alameda and Marina are very smooth. So don't make too many decisions based on Candlestick's surface when going to the other venues.

Demick
J P Stein
Damn....I still have to wait 2 weeks for the first AX.....
Youz' guys gonna get me so pumped I'll prolly have a coronary the night before. wink.gif
TimT
450lbs springs in the rear

heh!

when I got my car it had 650# front 600# rear springs

I fiddled a bit and settled on 450# front 350# rears..still a going to fiddle some more..

this is on a track car though... it still gets unsettled a few spots at Lime Rock, and I bottom the front turning into the infield on the IMSA course at Pocono.. with the 650's no bottoming, but there was zero compliance so the car skipped all over the place..kinda of fun hanging on LOL driving.gif

still learning how to set up a 914 here
L8Apex
Here's the new paint. Borrowed from Dave Leong's site.

IPB Image
nine14cats
Thanks L8Apex!

I just used the pic to load into my avatar. Looks good from track side....just don't get too close to see the errors. My wife and I painted it in our garage!

Bill P.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.