Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Too Stiff For Auto-X, bouncy but fun!
nine14cats
post Mar 9 2004, 10:05 AM
Post #1

Bill Pickering -- 914-6 GT aka....Leeloo

Group: Members
Member No.: 287
Region Association: None

Ran the first auto-x of the season on Saturday. I didn't have time to change the suspension from my track setup to auto-x setup so I just ran her like she was. Whoa....lotsa fun! I was bouncing all over the parking lot like a ping pong ball....It was actually alot of fun but not the fastest way around the course at Candlestick Park.

I had 450lbs springs in the rear....just a tad to stiff (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) I'm at Buttonwillow this coming weekend for a Time Trial, but when I get back I have to get ready for another auto-x and this time she's going to get the 250lbsers I used last year. Much easier to turn the car when it isn't airborne.....

It's really amazing how the setups and the different venues make a car have multiple personalities. At Laguna Seca and Sears Point, the stiffer springs and rear wing make the car very easy to drive fast, stable and predictable. Turn in is awesome and overall the car inspires confidence. Go lower speed with uneven pavement and the car is a handful to drive.

As alot of people have said over and over....setup....setup....setup.....

Hey...If I didn't have to work to support my racing habit, I'd be able to setup the car in time! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Just thought I'd share my observations.

Bill P.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Demick
post Mar 9 2004, 10:30 AM
Post #2

Ernie made me do it!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 257

Bill

You need to change your avitar to show off your new paint job.

You might want to think twice about changing your setup before the next autox. Candlestick is extremely bumpy, but Marina is a good smooth surface, as is Alameda Point - and those are the locations of the next 2 events. So your 450 lb springs might not be a hinderance at those locations.

Results aren't out yet. What time did you get down to on Saturday. I managed a 52.009 (almost into the 51's). Not bad for a 4cyl on a horsepower course.

Demick
+Quote Post
nine14cats
post Mar 9 2004, 12:01 PM
Post #3

Hi Demick,

I had a ~50.7 run in the afternoon. Steve Nieslony had TTOD somewhere in the 49's and I think Hank Watts caught me on his last run as well...I don't know where Andrew Blyholder ended up...probably caught me too! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

The car would probably still be too stiff for Marina or Alameda. She was really a handful and my wife was really fighting the car. Do you think I can be competitive for TTOD being that stiff?

I also couldn't get my tires to heat up (slicks) so they never did feel sticky.

Thanks,

Bill P.
+Quote Post
Demick
post Mar 9 2004, 12:49 PM
Post #4

Ernie made me do it!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 257

QUOTE(nine14cats @ Mar 9 2004, 10:01 AM)
Do you think I can be competitive for TTOD being that stiff?

I don't know - I just wanted to point out that Candlestick is very bumpy (as you know), while Alameda and Marina are very smooth. So don't make too many decisions based on Candlestick's surface when going to the other venues.

Demick
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Mar 9 2004, 01:12 PM
Post #5

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45

Damn....I still have to wait 2 weeks for the first AX.....
Youz' guys gonna get me so pumped I'll prolly have a coronary the night before. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
TimT
post Mar 9 2004, 05:44 PM
Post #6

retired

Member No.: 313

450lbs springs in the rear

heh!

when I got my car it had 650# front 600# rear springs

I fiddled a bit and settled on 450# front 350# rears..still a going to fiddle some more..

this is on a track car though... it still gets unsettled a few spots at Lime Rock, and I bottom the front turning into the infield on the IMSA course at Pocono.. with the 650's no bottoming, but there was zero compliance so the car skipped all over the place..kinda of fun hanging on LOL (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

still learning how to set up a 914 here
+Quote Post
post Mar 9 2004, 06:16 PM
Post #7

Group:
Member No.: 0

Here's the new paint. Borrowed from Dave Leong's site.

(IMG:http://www.dleong.org/2004/track/ggrtt1/images/P2140017.jpg)
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
nine14cats
post Mar 9 2004, 06:23 PM
Post #8

Thanks L8Apex!

I just used the pic to load into my avatar. Looks good from track side....just don't get too close to see the errors. My wife and I painted it in our garage!

Bill P.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 12:07 AM