Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Accelerator pedal replacement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
#1RAGE
My 914 is stored away for the winter right now but it has a wobbly gas pedal that moved side to side a lot and I'd like to replace it. Last summer was my first summer with it and the pedal was always that way but I'm afraid it will break eventually.... not to mention it is annoying.

I'm a newbie to the teener world so I just want to check exactly what I need to replace the pedal. Should I simple get a new pedal? Is that all I need? Also, how hard is it to replace the pedal? Any special tricks I should know of?

Thanks cool.gif
Mueller
new pedals are available thru the usual on-line places....$25+ bucks for the gas pedal.....

if I am correct, all you need is a 10mm socket to replace it
fiid
Mine was rest-o-welded to the floor - I ended up cutting out a section and welding a nut into the floor and rebolting it.

Get a can of WD40 or more agressive penetrating oil and let it settle in overnight. Make sure you use a hex socket or ring ended wrench and be careful not to strip the bolts. I would replace the bolts too, and maybe use antiseize on them.
nine14cats
Replace that thing! I had a student at last weekends auto-x whose gas pedal was wobbling all over. The pedal would deflect, causing the accelerator linkage to either stick full throttle or come off completely from the ball linkage.

Cheap insurance.

Bill P.
Dave_Darling
Things you need:
10mm socket, extensions (I recall a 6" one was handy there), and ratchet.
PB Blaster or Aero Kroyl. Not WD-40; WD-40 is not a penetrating oil.
Two new M6 bolts with washers.

A hammer may come in handy.

A wire brush will likely come in handy. So will Ospho, or POR-15 "Metal Ready", or Naval Jelly, or any of the other rust converter products. And paint--paint is always good to have on hand.

What I'm trying to get at here:
The pedal usually wobbles because the hinge inside of it rusts. Usually, whatever made it rust (often leaked brake fluid is the cause; do your pedals squeak?) will also make the floor pan around the pedal cluster rusty as well. With luck, it's just surface rust and no real harm done. Don't be surprised if your pedal cluster needs some paint as well.

The wire brush/rust converter/paint are the preferred treatment for very mild surface rust.

--DD
URY914
You may also be having a problem with the "pivot arm" (my term for it) The weld can break and the povit pin will be loose. Take it someone to weld up for you. See...
URY914
fixed...
URY914
welded...
Mark Henry
Mueller I think you should look up the price on the pedal!
My OE Porsche pedal was $125canadian, which I thought was steep, but I found out I couldn’t get it much cheaper in the US once I paid shipping/exchange.

In hindsight I could have repaired (more like modified) it with a piece of piano hinge, but it wouldn’t be as nice.
seanery
Isn't $125 Canadian about the same as $25 US wacko.gif
IronHillRestorations
As far as I know the original rubber hinged ones are NLA, anyone please correct me if I"m wrong.

The new 911 part works OK though, you just have to cut off the built in stop. It doesn't look like it'll hold up for a week, but it does.

PK cool.gif

I've got one in stock
Rusty
Perry,

Got a pic/part number for the 911 unit?

Curious what it looks like, not so I can shop elsewhere. smile.gif

-Rusty smoke.gif
Dave_Darling
Looks just like the 914 pedal. Part number should be in the PET.

The Bird's part number is A-423-010-00 , so I believe that Der Official Part Number is 901.423.010.00 .

--DD
#1RAGE
Thanks everyone pray.gif

So much good info.

cool.gif
#1RAGE
Oh wow. I swear accelerator pedals were about $25 at Pelican Parts last time I posted in this thread. Now they are $58! mad.gif Anyone know where I can get a cheaper one?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.