Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: a quick question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jerry

Hey, I have a quick question.... a guy around here has a starter that he says is for a 1.7 or a 1.8 part number 311911023D will that fit a 2.0 ?? I thought they were all the same....is there a difference??
brp986s
All 914/4 and /6 use the same starter. Put down the beer and get to work.
Dave_Darling
I don't believe the 311 starter will work on any of the 914s. At least, not for long. Isn't that the "automatic" starter that is incorrectly listed in most parts books as the one for the 914?

Hmm, the factory parts book seems to call for a "003" part number for the starter? Curious.

Regardless, I don't think any starter for the Type III ("311" part prefix) is correct for the 914.

--DD
SLITS
Look at the nose of the starter. If the Bendix gear is on a shaft stickin out of the front plate, it is a SR15X Type 1 Beetle starter and won't fit.

If the Bendix is even with the front plate of the starter with no shaft sticking out beyond the gear, it is more than likely and SR17X or "VW Automatic Starter" which would be the correct one for Teeners and Assdraggers.
Jerry
Thanks, Dave.....that's a real help.

Anybody else have an opinion?????
underthetire
QUOTE(Jerry @ Aug 23 2009, 08:59 PM) *

Thanks, Dave.....that's a real help.

Anybody else have an opinion?????

Just did my starter a couple weeks ago. 1st one correct, second incorrect.
Jerry
Thanks alot........that solved the problem. This guy has the wrong one
underthetire
QUOTE(Jerry @ Aug 24 2009, 10:15 PM) *

Thanks alot........that solved the problem. This guy has the wrong one

I have the part number for the correct one for 39 bucks at kragens. Just don't let the Crusty one know your getting a starter there! poke.gif
zymurgist
I bought my 911 starter from the local NAPA store. It was a "remanufactured in Germany" starter that I've been quite happy with.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.