Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: DR Evil...southern ca transmission evaluation pics
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
computers4kids
GOAL: To install the "H" gear that I purchased in one of the three transmissions and have a good transmission for my v8 car.

I have 3 stock 914 transmissions:
1) a tailshifter that looks like it has been converted to a sideshifter..is that possible. The only thing missing is the shift console and shift fork. I recieved this transmission with a parts car 4 years ago...no history. When I pulled the gear stack it looks practically brand new inside...that is from laymen's eyes.

2) a sideshifter that had a broken ear (you sent me a tailcone already). This one was in a car for sale that a drunk hit the car while it was parked. I bought the car as a parts car, but never drove the car. All looks OK to me inside but not as pretty as the tailshifter gear stack.

3) a perfect shifting sideshifter transmission currently in my v8 car. No howling or leaks...no real reason to open it up.

I have pulled transmission one and two apart and will bring to the clinic along with the spare sideshifter tail cone. I'm debating whether to pull the v8 transmission and bring it. If the two have what it takes to make one good transmission with the H gear, it would make sense to me to save the transmission in my car for the spare...just in case happy11.gif

Looks like the innards of the tailshifter is in fantastic shape. Would I put the tailshifter gear stack and matching differential (31 teeth) into the sidshifter case??

If you think the gear stacks are questionable, I can always pull the good transmission and bring it as well.
The two gear stacksIPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
Close-ups of the tailshifter stack
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
The two differnetials, one on the left is out of the tailshifter
9143322120 numbers on the sideshifter diff (31teeth)
X22.53 numbers on the tailshifter diff.(31teeth)

IPB Image
IPB Image

Hey, I even followed your directions biggrin.gif
Click to view attachment
sww914
Sorry, you're screwed. smile.gif
SLITS
All looks pretty good to me.

Look at the ring on the diff and look at the wear pattern on the teeth from the pinion gear. If the wear is even on all the teeth it was set up correctly.

Don's switch the diffs into a different case as you will have to pay about $300+ to get the ring and pinion reset for proper lash & depth.
Dr Evil
Man, you are going to learn a LOT at the clinic. Some of those pics are worthless as far as diagnostics wink.gif Bring them both, keep the parts labeled so you know what goes in what box. Are you keeping 1st? That is the big $$ part and if you are not you are gonna be fine with what you have most likely. The tail one looks like 3rd is poo, not normal.
Jax914
Just .02....to echo the good Dr.

About all you can tell from these pics is the slight rounding on that one gear.

The main things you'll need to check are the synchros and bearings in the intermediate plate. Then the clearances on the forks....

make sure you don't mix and match....keep them all separate.

computers4kids
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Aug 23 2009, 08:56 PM) *

Man, you are going to learn a LOT at the clinic. Some of those pics are worthless as far as diagnostics wink.gif

QUOTE(Jax914 @ Aug 24 2009, 08:10 PM) *

Just .02....to echo the good Dr.

About all you can tell from these pics is the slight rounding on that one gear.

The main things you'll need to check are the synchros and bearings in the intermediate plate. Then the clearances on the forks....

make sure you don't mix and match....keep them all separate.

I have been heavy into 914s for the last 5 years and other than the transmission, I can't think of too much I haven't worked on. The transmission has always been "no mans land." smile.gif The clinic will be great time to face my fears chowtime.gif and dig in and learn something. Actually, after pulling my first gear stacks I already am feeling a little less nervous...of course, knowing the Dr. would be there at the clinic gave me courage. happy11.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.