Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How do I raise the height of my 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
terrymason
I've got a 74 914 that was lowered by the previous owner. Anyone know how to raise it back up? I've been told in the past "just crank up the A arms", but I'm not exactly sure what that means.
SirAndy
QUOTE(terrymason @ Aug 25 2009, 02:00 PM) *

I've got a 74 914 that was lowered by the previous owner. Anyone know how to raise it back up? I've been told in the past "just crank up the A arms", but I'm not exactly sure what that means.

11mm nut on a wrench. There's a adjuster bolt on the back of each a-arm.
Tighten the bolt will raise the car, loosen the bolt will lower the car.

I usually measure ride-height from the ground to the cross-member. Make sure both sides are about equal.

If you turn the adjuster more than 1/4 turn or so, you will need to get the car aligned again.

popcorn[1].gif Andy
jt914-6
To raise or lower the front you turn the 11mm bolt in the torsion bar cap. Clockwise raises it and counter clock lowers it....see pic
The rear you need an adjustable perch set up to adjust it or shocks with grooves and a ring to adjust height.

Click to view attachment
r_towle
Jack Stands work great.

And for gods sake DO NOT DRIVE the car...just put it on the jack stands and start the "restoration"....

Rich
TravisNeff
You might have grooves cut in your shocks with a c-clip where you can re-set the rear spring height on the shock (which will raise/lower the rear of the car).

You can usually get to the torsion bar adjusters while the car is on the ground, so it makes it easier to track your changes in height overall and side to side.
Joe Ricard
I think Jack Stands wins the prize.
Eric_Shea
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C57SAI
SLITS
How 'bout filling the trunks with helium?
hydroliftin
QUOTE(SLITS @ Aug 26 2009, 07:27 AM) *

How 'bout filling the trunks with helium?

Brings a whole new meaning to Colin Chapman's famous saying "Simplicate, then add lightness."
terrymason
Wow thanks guys. That picture was exactly what I needed.

I'm going to give this a shot this weekend.

I'm just tired of it being so low to the ground. I can't fit a normal jack under it, and it's really hard to remove the rear wheels, I have to pull out the fender and work the snot out of it.
gopack
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

How about a pic of your ride??? Sometimes the experts will have some sage advice based upon what their calibrated eyeballs tell them!
terrymason
Driver side
terrymason
And passenger
SLITS
There is a major discrepency between the left and right sides. You probably need to reset the adjustor arm on the driver's side .... really should do both. Hopefully something isn't up with the torsion bar.

Jack it up .. put on stands ... spray adjusting bolts with PB Blaster ... let sit for a while ... back adjustment bolts completely out ... pull adjustor caps off and put them back on with the arm up against the uppper housing ... reinstall adjustment bolts ... run them so the arm is about 1/2 way between the upper and lower part of the housing ... see where it sits.
TravisNeff
I agree that the cap looks like it is a spline or two off, but if you can adjust the height on both sides to the same matching height, and an accetable height - that's all that matters. Otherwise jack the car up, put it on jack stands and unscrew the adjuster in the middle, you can then pull the cap off and re-clock it, then scew back in the adjuster. Rinse and repeat as necessary.
terrymason
I was with you up until this part:

QUOTE(SLITS @ Aug 26 2009, 05:27 PM) *

... pull adjustor caps off and put them back on with the arm up against the uppper housing ...

What are the adjuster caps?

Also, Am I right in thinking that the rear height of an unmodified 914 is not adjustable?
URY914
Soak those bolts with WD40 a day before you're going to adjust them.
SirAndy
QUOTE(terrymason @ Aug 27 2009, 12:00 PM) *

What are the adjuster caps?

The "Cap" looking thing that the adjuster bolt goes through. They slide off the torsion bars once the bolt is removed.

They should be indexed the same left/right with the suspension unloaded (in the air) and bolts removed.
shades.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.