Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is this 911 engine any good for a 914 swap?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rod
I can get my hands on this engine very reasonably would it be a good choice for a 914 swap or would a 3.0 or a 3.2 be a better bet?

Engine number 6151404 1975 2.7 with cis
thesey914
Rod, sounds like the 150hp/235lbs/ft version. Has it got a 5 blade fan?
You'll love a six in your car. Good thing about 2.7 is it can use the six bolt 901 flywheel, although these are hard to get now so buying a nine bolt conversion flywheel from patrick might even be easier.
I would recommend the smaller engines too (2.2 + 2.4)
SLITS
A decent 2.7L will give you wood!
lotus_65
i would like it...

smile.gif
VaccaRabite
What shape is the motor in?
Has it had all the 2.7 "stuff" done to it?

Fix the stuff that usually breaks on a 27 ands stuff it on in there. Your car will be a little rocket ship.
pete-stevers
not to discourage a six build but why did theat 2.7 get taken out of the 911 in the first place
with the current prices on 3.0 i would much prefer to have an aluminun block in place, and cheaper to rebuild than a 2.7 mag case
Mike Gilbert
in the long run you will be better off with the 3.0 or 3.2..the 3.2 with motrinic efi would be best...the 2.7 does not have all the up-dates a 3.0 has such as aluminum case, some have nick-seal cylinders..ultimatly any flat six is good but most any old 2.7 is going to need rebuilding and thats going to cost 10k to do it right and thats just for the parts....the newer the better plus a 3.2 will give you 250+hp. and around 200 for the 3.0...do you have any history on the engine? and whats the price your paying?i would not pay more than $1500 for a mystery 2.7..
Cupomeat
I agree with Mike, in that if you are shopping for a new motor, go with the 3.0 (SC motor) or the 3.2 (carrera) motor.

The 2.7 motors are the most fragile in un-updated form and unless the motor was free will likely cost you more than the 3.0 or 3.2.

Of course, the years do matter with the 2.7 as the later 2.7's were installed with thermal reactors which pretty much killed them (heat) and they were often taken out and replaced with the newer motors. Also, the head studs are notorious for pulling out and the original fix by Porsche for this problem is failure prone as well.

SO, that is probably why we see more of them than any other series for sale.

NOW, I am no 911 engine guru, but this story about the 2.7 has been told ever since I was a kid and most everyone who has one that I know agrees, or has already been through this.

I hope this helped.
Rod
QUOTE(Cupomeat @ Aug 27 2009, 11:04 PM) *

I hope this helped.

Helps a lot smile.gif Enough to keep my wallet in my back pocket and hunt for that 3.2 Carrera I was looking for in the first place....

driving-girl.gif
J P Stein
There are a lot of opinions here but apparently not much actual experience....with a few exceptions. I know a fella that has well over 200K miles on his (never opened) 2.7L and he flogs the thing regularly.

With any used motor one could ask "why was the engine removed....".
One could spend $10K..."just on parts" but I have no idea how.
No thermal reactors in the UK in 75', eh?

Ah well, this is the internet.....

All the 911 engines can have back holes just waiting to be filled with your dollars (pounds). All were good at one point in their lives. Pitfalls abound in any used motor. All are core motors unless you can see and hear them run. All are not equally expensive to rebuild.....but BS is free. The 2.7L is one of the least expensive due to parts availability (both new & used).

I know bout 2.7s. This one *may* be F/S in a couple weeks.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Aug 27 2009, 08:05 PM) *

i _may_ be interested. keep me posted...
J P Stein
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Aug 27 2009, 06:59 PM) *

QUOTE(J P Stein @ Aug 27 2009, 08:05 PM) *

i _may_ be interested. keep me posted...

Be advised, it uses race gas.......but it's a hoot & smells gud. biggrin.gif
BKLA
I'm with JP on this... a 2.7 can be quite a nice motor. Pushes a light 914 very well, thank you!
J P Stein
QUOTE(BKLA @ Aug 27 2009, 07:05 PM) *

I'm with JP on this... a 2.7 can be quite a nice motor. Pushes a light 914 very well, thank you!

Another voice crying in the wilderness.... biggrin.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Aug 27 2009, 10:04 PM) *

can't see the dizzy but there's only one coil so I'm guessing it's still single ignition. Another set of plugs could put it in the 93-octane pump gas region for light use, i'm thinking...
J P Stein
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Aug 27 2009, 07:10 PM) *

QUOTE(J P Stein @ Aug 27 2009, 10:04 PM) *

can't see the dizzy but there's only one coil so I'm guessing it's still single ignition. Another set of plugs could put it in the 93-octane pump gas region for light use, i'm thinking...

True, single plug.....it was a NOS 74 Euro Carrera dizzy a few years back, BTW.....not cheep these days. A guy could swap out the pistons ......new JEs 9.5:1 for close to a wash with the sale of the Mahles. A good twin plug set-up is pricy.

The good news is a prospective customer (or his represenative) could take a trip up the street with me to a chassis dyno and get a new set of numbers.
There is an iron in the fire (or 2) to avoid parting out the car.....we'll see.
sixnotfour
JP that distributor I sold you is for sale on 911S registry for 1200 nos
J P Stein
Yeah, I should'a bought 100 of em'........so should'a you. It beats the hell out of my 401k. biggrin.gif
degreeoff
I like mine.....I am redoing a bad mistake now that has cost me About $4k (newly recoated nikasil cyl's , new JE pistons, new DC40 cams, refurbished rockers, rebuilt heads (3 angle grind etc) and the parts and bits to assemble.

Itwas a sick (as in poor running) engine in my teener and would still rocket around....I'd recommend a 2.7

Click to view attachment
GeorgeRud
A properly prepared 2.7 is a hoot, and a lot of fun in a 914 chassis! Yes, it is not as robust as a 3.0, but it is not all that bad if properly prepared. After all, what did the awe inspiring 911RS use? Any of these old engines are $$$$$ to rebuild properly!

Nice article in the new issue of Hemmings Sports & Exotic Car (October issue) on the 911RS (in big bumper form)
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Aug 27 2009, 10:26 PM) *

A good twin plug set-up is pricy.

yes, but I'm headed there anyway (can't do a proper RSR clone without it...) so it's just a matter of what I start with.

Go price high-butterfly MFI throttle bodies - that'll stop your heart for a beat or two...

if it works out that you can keep it all, and that's what you want, that'd be a fine outcome, I think.

For me it'd just be a shortcut to the engine I'm headed for, and I was already committed to building it up from a core motor and individual bits, so I have options.

Remind me - are those 40's or 46's ?
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(degreeoff @ Aug 27 2009, 10:51 PM) *

Itwas a sick (as in poor running) engine in my teener and would still rocket around....I'd recommend a 2.7

Quoted for truth. This car was wicked fast, and just flet like it wanted to go faster then the roads we were on would allow.

Zach
GreatPumpkin
NO,

Dont listen to these guys... That will never work!

Crate that junk up and I will come get it out of your way for you.

Let me know if Saturday works...

Thanks
J P Stein
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Aug 28 2009, 05:35 AM) *

QUOTE(J P Stein @ Aug 27 2009, 10:26 PM) *

A good twin plug set-up is pricy.

yes, but I'm headed there anyway (can't do a proper RSR clone without it...) so it's just a matter of what I start with.

Go price high-butterfly MFI throttle bodies - that'll stop your heart for a beat or two...

if it works out that you can keep it all, and that's what you want, that'd be a fine outcome, I think.

For me it'd just be a shortcut to the engine I'm headed for, and I was already committed to building it up from a core motor and individual bits, so I have options.

Remind me - are those 40's or 46's ?

RSR clone? Sure, why not.
The carbs are 40s.
This engine would make a sweet street engine....unlike an RSR motor.
The box the P/Cs came in....plus a couple more.
Cupomeat
J P Stein, thanks for fixing my mistake as I did not see that the original poster was from the UK, and I am not familar with the emissions equipment and its detrimental affect in the UK.

A twin plug, 2.7 RSR motors sounds great!
pete-stevers
alas...the 2.7 guys seem to have dominated....yup the old 3.0/3.2 is clearly out classed by its earlier smaller displacement brother blink.gif

SirAndy
QUOTE(pete-stevers @ Aug 28 2009, 01:14 PM) *

alas...the 2.7 guys seem to have dominated....yup the old 3.0/3.2 is clearly out classed by its earlier smaller displacement brother blink.gif

biggrin.gif

More bigger is more better! wub.gif

IPB Image
Ferg
When I had my six, I took the 2.7 out and put in a 3.2 shades.gif

If my 911 Carrera wasn't a real one, It would have a 3.2 instead of the 2.7...

I'm just saying bye1.gif
SLITS
How can you say that Ferg ... you don't keep a car long enough to require an oil change let alone an engine upgrade.
SirAndy
QUOTE(SLITS @ Aug 28 2009, 02:48 PM) *

How can you say that Ferg ... you don't keep a car long enough to require an oil change let alone an engine upgrade.

lol-2.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(pete-stevers @ Aug 28 2009, 05:14 PM) *

I've always said you need a really good reason to prefer a 2,7 to an SC or newer. In my case, I'm specifically looking for a period-correct 7R case as a base. I'm also interested in JP's engine because i know enough about it and JP to be comfortable with it, as opposed to something with no provenance.

The 2,7's are lighter and since they've probably been gone through once, may be more likely to come with carb-friendly cams. SC's were CIS with low compression and mild cams. 3,2 with DME a bit better.

If a 2,7 has had all the good stuff (case savers, scavenge mod, head studs...) done to it on the PO's dime, it's probably in better shape than an unmodified SC. If you're buying a core engine and know you'll be rebuilding it, it's hard to go wrong with an SC, a little more compression, and sportier cams. But now we're not talking heads-up comparisons any more.

In street service, you should live so long as to need to rebuild a fresh /6 of any flavor...
J P Stein
The 3.0L 9eleben engine is the most reliable engine Porsche ever made....IMO.
There, ya happy?
The 2.7 is just not as bad as it has been made out. It is lighter, more available (thanks to the bad rap) and cheaper to build in all respects. It is also a bit cheaper to install in a 914. The stock engines are comparable in power with a slight nod going to the 3.0L. Many people ( like myself) went with the less expensive engine.
I'm not particularly attached to it but kinda fell into it....like I did with the 914.
I found out how to cure its faults up ( some of the cases aren't worth curing) front & did what was necessary. My speaking up in its defense is no reason for anyone to get their panties in a bunch.
pete-stevers
jeez....i didn't think any one ever noticed the panties.
and when they are bunched, it just isn't fun anymore huh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.