Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: rocker question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JOE M
Just a quick question and hopefully someone has a pic. I have a 1.7L and recently replaced my piston rings. To make a long story short I did not document the location of each rocker when I removed them. I notice that I can actually install the rockers in several different places. I just want to make sure that I put them back in correctly. I know they have different angles but like I said it is possible to install them in different places. They all have stamps on them with numbers /letters so I am guessing that this means where they should go. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks Joe
r_towle
No pics, but you can come look.

RIch
JOE M
I found this pic and it sort of helps. I guess I will take `em out and look.I think its all good but just want to make sure. If I cant figure it out I will stop by and have a look.

Click to view attachment
tat2dphreak
I can take a pic of my 1.8 spare, if it will help you... but it will look just like that
ejm
There are 4 identical intake rockers and 4 identical exhaust rockers. It is very hard to put them in the wrong place.
JOE M
QUOTE(ejm @ Aug 26 2009, 06:33 PM) *

There are 4 identical intake rockers and 4 identical exhaust rockers. It is very hard to put them in the wrong place.

So you are saying that there are really 2 to choose from. In other words all 4 intakes are exact and all 4 exhaust are exact? It seems like there are 4 sets of 2 if that makes sense.It looks like they have slightly different angles even though they look similar.
Jake Raby
The angles are differernt on the intake and exhaust rockers.

Place them on a rocker shaft and you'll see that the angles vary vastly.

The rockers with the steepest angles are the exhaust rockers, they go OUTBOARD on the cylinder heads when being installed. The intake rockers will be the remaining rockers and they have less angle and go INBOARD on each cylinder.

You wouldn't have needed to ask this question if you had my DVD, I illustrate the differences clearly. :-)
JOE M
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Aug 27 2009, 09:24 AM) *

The angles are differernt on the intake and exhaust rockers.

Place them on a rocker shaft and you'll see that the angles vary vastly.

The rockers with the steepest angles are the exhaust rockers, they go OUTBOARD on the cylinder heads when being installed. The intake rockers will be the remaining rockers and they have less angle and go INBOARD on each cylinder.

You wouldn't have needed to ask this question if you had my DVD, I illustrate the differences clearly. :-)

HAHAHA Jake,
I probably have broke about 1000 rules re-building my engine.But for the most part it is back together and runs much better. I love learning about this car so I just might buy your DVD and see what it has to offer. I did get my piston rings from your store I think ( type 4 store). Does your DVD go over basic maintanance as well ( tuning,valve adjustments,etc)?
Jake Raby
This video is engine assembly only.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.