Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best option: shim or shave for BMW calipers?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Wardsweb
Should I use a thin wheel spacer or grind down the BMW calipers so they don't rub the Fuchs? Everything is already mounted with a washer on each lug so they don't rub, but I want a more permanent solution. I don't need much but wanted some insight before I just grind on the caliper.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Wardsweb @ Aug 27 2009, 11:52 AM) *

Everything is already mounted with a washer on each lug so they don't rub, but I want a more permanent solution.

You need a flat surface for the wheel to mount to. A washer per lug won't cut it.

In fact, i think it's rather dangerous ...
shades.gif Andy
Wardsweb
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 27 2009, 03:56 PM) *

You need a flat surface for the wheel to mount to. A washer per lug won't cut it.

In fact, i think it's rather dangerous ...
shades.gif Andy

Yes that is why I need to do something. The washer were a temp fix to move the car around the garage. It is not licensed for street use yet. I still need to fix the headlights and the windshield wipers before it can be inspected. The car has been off the road since 1996.
Cap'n Krusty
You may find that grinding the caliper turns it into a leaker. I've seen it before, and VERY little was removed from the offending surface. Just one of the reasons I don't install BMW calipers, besides the liability factor. Buy spacers. The Cap'n
Wardsweb
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Aug 28 2009, 11:42 AM) *

You may find that grinding the caliper turns it into a leaker. I've seen it before, and VERY little was removed from the offending surface. Just one of the reasons I don't install BMW calipers, besides the liability factor. Buy spacers. The Cap'n

Thanks for the input. I went with the bigger calipers to help compensate for the added battery weight for an electric car. I had called AutoAtlanta to buy spacers and they told me to grind the calipers. I'll look elsewhere for spacers. Thanks again.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.