Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Heat Exchangers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
19144jt
I have a chance to buy a 2.0 big bore with carbs and sst heat exchangers. I have a 1.8 and already have two sets of sst heat exchangers for that motor. Will the 1.8's I have work for the 2.0 big bore? He wants an extra $300 for the heat exchangers for the 2.0 and I know that's a fair price but I don't want to buy them If I don't have to.

John confused24.gif
tat2dphreak
yes, you can use 1.8 SSI H/Es on a 2.0... and they are the same ID as the 2.0...

you cannot use a 2.0 muffler on the 1.8 H/Es...
SirAndy
QUOTE(19144jt @ Aug 27 2009, 03:26 PM) *

I have a chance to buy a 2.0 big bore with carbs and sst heat exchangers.

How big is that big bore?

The SSI's are larger than stock in dia. but if the motor is much bigger than 2.0L, you might be better off getting a set of headers ...
shades.gif Andy
19144jt
I don't know yet how big it is. He is saying that it was a stock 914 2.0 at one time and now has a big bore set of pistons and cyls and a cam that isn't compatible with FI. He thought that the displacement was 2156 but I haven't seen that one around yet. I have seen 2056. I will know more when he sends me some pics and more info. He says the guy he bought it from was autXing the car so who knows. Sirandy, does headers = no heat exchangers? I live where it snows and can get pretty cold and would drive during the winter so I would want the heat in the car. Yea, I know I'm a panzy!

John biggrin.gif
tat2dphreak
yep, if you go headers, you got no heat... I guess youcould get an old bus gasoline heater and retrofit it tho
gregrobbins
2056 is a common upgrade using a stock crank/rods and 96mm pistons. The Stainless Steel heat exchangers should work fine.

Find out all you can about the motor. Compression test/leakdown test would be nice. You can hurt motors autocrossing. Ask me how I know.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.