Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1.7 FI to carbs to install in a Bradley GT body
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jays914
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

See additional pictues posted 9/15/09

Everyone,

I would like to know how much of a problem it would be to take 1.7 914 FI engine and convert it to a carbs to put into a Bradley GT project car. The body kit is an original 1976 model that was never put together. The Bradley was purchased by my cousin and I have the spare engine. The engine (in a barn for the last 15 years) will be torn down for inspection and parts replaced as needed.

Thought this would be a good way to reuse the 1.7 since most of the other comments I have heard or read for this type of engine were less than favorable.

Should the engine get a big bore kit, cam, dist, low pressure fuel pump? If so, does anyone have the required parts for the conversion? How much?

Thanks for your input!

Jays914
dlo914
You could up the size by going with 96mm pistons and the total CC's will come to 1988 and you will need a 2.0l crank and rods (IIRC) . And since you're going with carbs you're gonna need a different cam. Also since you're tearing down the engine might as well have the heads port n polished.

Correct me if i'm wrong. Others should be putting in their own advice soon.
SLITS
If you are asking if it will fit ... I have no idea .... they were fugly kits anyway.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(jays914 @ Sep 10 2009, 06:21 PM) *

Thought this would be a good way to reuse the 1.7 since most of the other comments I have heard or read for this type of engine were less than favorable.

Should the engine get a big bore kit, cam, dist, low pressure fuel pump? If so, does anyone have the required parts for the conversion? How much?

Hi Jay, sounds like a cool project. Got any pictures of the kit?

if you have a 1.7, it is pretty easy to turn it into a 1911 using a lot of the parts you have on hand.

You will want a new cam, and you will need to have head work done by someone competent.

The 1911 used the stock 1.7 crank and case. Heads will need to be flycut to accept 96mm cylinders while they are checked out for cracks, seats and valves.

You will need to source 96mm pistons and cylinders. I used 2L cylinders and had them bored out to 96, and used 96mm Keith Black flat top pistons.

For the cam, you are going to want to change a lot of the valve train. You will have to cut new pushrods, you will need new lifters (that match the cam). You already have the desired 1.7 rockers, so it will be an easy move to go to the Elephant foot valve arms. Jake Raby's cam kits are pricey, but they will come with all the stuff you need, and he or Blake will work with you to choose the best cam grind for your application.

Or, you can call Web. Cheaper, and be sure to buy the matching lifters or cam life will be reduced.

All in all, figure probably around $2K-$3K to build the engine when you have accounted for head work, balancing, parts, etc.

OR. Call (okay, PM) McMark and ask about his $5K plug and play 2056. He builds it, you bolt it in. Its a pretty sweet deal.

Zach
jays914
Hey guys thanks for the great input!

I'll post some picture of the project very soon. We are thinking of keeping th FI on the engine since I have all of the parts from a dismantled 1971 914 including the wiring harness, fuel pump, and relay box. Just thinking today that a 1.7 in good condition (pending inspection/rebuild) will be more than enough engine to power the GT project.

Thanks again piratenanner.gif

Jays914
Dave_Darling
The 96es will make for the 1911cc engine, not 1988. The 96es that fit into the recess in the 1.7 heads are super thin, and it's a much better idea to get the heads cut for the larger-diameter cylinders--the 96es made for 1.8s and 2.0s have much more meat on them.

I would be very tempted to just swap over the fuel pump and stick the carbs on and go. (Don't use a single carb setup, it works poorly on these motors.) It'll be very quick and very cheap, and you should know pretty early on if you really do need to open up the motor. Once you open it up, it gets very easy to spend big $$$$ on "while you're in there" items....

--DD
jays914
Dave,

Yet more great advise..... Thanks!

Jays914
jmill
I believe the Bradley was built on a bug pan. I've never done a TI to TIV swap. Talk with Jake. He'll know what you need. You might even need to go with DTM cooling.

http://www.aircooledtechnology.com/store/p...at=0&page=1
bfrymire
QUOTE(jays914 @ Sep 10 2009, 04:21 PM) *

Everyone,

I would like to know how much of a problem it would be to take 1.7 914 FI engine and convert it to a carbs to put into a Bradley GT project car. The body kit is an original 1976 model that was never put together. The Bradley was purchased by my cousin and I have the spare engine. The engine (in a barn for the last 15 years) will be torn down for inspection and parts replaced as needed.

Thanks for your input!

Jays914

Hello Jay,

A co-worker/friend has one of these, and drives it to work fairly often. I will see if he can offer some help.

BTW, he put a Porsche 911 motor in his, and he had to do some modifications to get it to fit.

-- brett
VaccaRabite
(I know this is not Jay's car. Well, maybe it is, but probably not)
IPB Image

Neat looking car. Kinda like an Opel GT did it with a VW dune buggy. I'd drive it, and a T4 would power it quite nicely (and look better then the tiny VW exhaust too).

But I am even more interested in the girl....

Zach
Cap'n Krusty
You're gonna need a conversion flywheel and a clutch suitable for the tranny. They're pretty readily available. The Cap'n
jays914
More pictures 9/15/09
jays914
Yet another picture 9/15/09
jays914
One last picture for today 9/15/09
VaccaRabite
Since you already have a 914 engine, why not use a 901 transmission? Out of an early 911. I think that would bolt right up to the engine, and it would give you a 5 speed.

Zach
jays914
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Sep 15 2009, 10:10 PM) *

Since you already have a 914 engine, why not use a 901 transmission? Out of an early 911. I think that would bolt right up to the engine, and it would give you a 5 speed.

Zach

Zach,

More questions.... Will the 901 trans fit into the VW pan? What would be a fair price for the setup? Will the shifter and associated parts need to be purchased and added to the project?

Sorry for all the questions. We would like to do it right at the best price.....

Thanks!

Jay
VaccaRabite
Jay,

All I can say is that it has been done. You may have to fabricate some sort of mount. There may even be one on the market.

If you have the skills needed to do this kind of a kit though, you've got the skills needed to weld up a tranny support bar. Looks like you have a fair bit of welding to do anyway.

Zach
Dave_Darling
It will fit with some beating, and maybe a little grinding and welding.

You'll need the shifter bits, and you may have to make up a linkage.

--DD
jays914
Zach and Dave,

Thanks for the latest info!

As you guys know that $$$ is always a consideration when doing this kind of project. We are looking for the best compromise. Should we trick it out with a built-up Porsche engine/trans combo or just go with the stock VW parts for now???

My cousin has 2 pipe buggies and another VW pan plus a number of VW engines and transmissions. He also has a very low miles Kia 4 cylinder engine (wrecked car) and complete wiring harness. The main problem with this type of engine is no one makes a conversion kit that we can find. The current flywheel is for an automatiic transmission. The flywheel is close to the Porsche 914 in size and number of bolts to the crankshaft. I think we could have a flywheel machined to match the bolt pattern. We would have to fab an adaptor plate to mount the engine to the transmission. Then mounting a rad/fan and all the other junk...

BTW...VW pans are going to be welded together tonight by a professional welder, then the mounting of the body should come pretty soon, can't wait to see it as a roller.... bye1.gif

Jay
r_towle
Stick with all beetle parts...it will be easier.
The car is gonna weigh what....1300 lbs...a standard beetle motor/trans will scare the hell out of you.
Rich
jays914
QUOTE(r_towle @ Sep 17 2009, 03:24 PM) *

Stick with all beetle parts...it will be easier.
The car is gonna weigh what....1300 lbs...a standard beetle motor/trans will scare the hell out of you.
Rich

Rich, Thanks for the advise! Jay
VaccaRabite
I suddenly have this thought in my head that a Bradley GT would make a great platform for an EV. I really like the body style.

Zach
jays914
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Sep 17 2009, 09:42 PM) *

I suddenly have this thought in my head that a Bradley GT would make a great platform for an EV. I really like the body style.

Zach

Yet another good choice... Thanks!
maf914
I have seen various articles on the VW/901 tranny conversion. You might try the following links for :

http://www.cal-look.com/tech_fitting_porsc...e_chassis.shtml

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/index.php

http://www.tunacan.net/t4/
jays914
QUOTE(maf914 @ Sep 19 2009, 03:59 PM) *

I have seen various articles on the VW/901 tranny conversion. You might try the following links for :

http://www.cal-look.com/tech_fitting_porsc...e_chassis.shtml

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/index.php

http://www.tunacan.net/t4/

Mike,

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, these links will be very helpful! I'll need to do some work on my 914 next year.

Jay
jays914
Check out the new pictures of the 1.7 engine teardown and VW platform with new pans welded and paint...

Dead critter on the engine, this is why you should remove the tins when an engine has been stored for many years.... Oil cooler was plugged too....
jays914
1.7 engine with tins removed...look what I found...

VW platform with new pans and paint.
Bleyseng
yep, mice love it inside the tins as a nest...so common.
jays914
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Sep 27 2009, 12:53 AM) *

yep, mice love it inside the tins as a nest...so common.

Yes they do..stated to disassemble the engine yesterday and found the top of the oil cooler to be completly plugged. The cylinders, pistons, and heads look great for an engine that has been in a barn for more than 15 years, no rust or scoring. Going to split the case soon to see what is inside.... Can see very small rust spot on the cam where the oil had run off over time. I may just put engine (1.7) back to stock and store it for my 914.

BTW...where does all of those parts come from?? I have one very large box of parts and two smaller ones as well as a table full of parts from this one engine... bye1.gif
VaccaRabite
The parts from an engine tear down build quickly, no doubt.

Zach
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.