Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Eberspacher heating in 914......
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rod
I want to fit a header on my 914, and am looking into heating options. I could fit a tangerine heat exchanger or alternatively fit an eberspacher heater in the front. I would remove all the the piping in the cabin, install the heater in the front. The unit has an internal fan, so the original blower could be removed and the gas heater be installed in it's place, with the output pipes going to the air controllers on either side. The dash controls would then direct the hot air either up or down, and I'm sure the fan controller on the dash wiring could be modified to turn the heater on and off.

I'm not concerned about having cold air blown through the vents - if I want fresh air I open the window!

So does anyone know what the airflow is like out of the eberspacher? Would I need a seperate fan to increase airflow sufficiently?

Has anyone installed one in a 914 before??
GeorgeRud
If you search back, there is a site that shows an Eberspacher gas fired heataer in a 914 front trunk. I don't know of anyone that's actually seen a real installation, but they do seem to work pretty well in VWs and early 911s.

I also investigated doing this in my 914-6 conversion, but finally decided on putting on some heat exchangers instead of the headers I had. I did purchase a used heater, and it does put out a fair amount of heat, so I think it would work.
My idea was to perhaps mount it somewhere back by the engine area, and them just use the factory heat/ventilation controls to keep things simple.

Good luck with your project, please post some pics of your install if you do it!
McMark
No one has done it that I've seen.

But a lot of people have talked about it (myself included).
aircooledtechguy
A BN2 from a Beetle or type3 would be a nice addition in a 914. The flow is sufficient to heat a type-3 Squareback in winter no problem. The only issue I see is what to do about fogging the front windows. . . Without the heat blowing on the windshield, they will fog badly.
r_towle
go search on thesamba or maybe on ebay for a user called "heaterman"

He is THE guy for these units...he rebuilds them and sells all the parts.
He will be able to advise you on the cost.

A friend of mine has one in his vw thing...he loves it.
It has a remote start so he can get the car all heated up before he even gets in the cab...now that is cool.

SirAndy has a great picture of the installed unit that was available as an option back in the day for the 914...

Rich
IronHillRestorations
I've got a really cherry Webasto unit with the extra fuel pump, but that's as far as I've got.

IMHO it would be pointless to put one of these in a car without including defrost.
Rod
QUOTE(aircooledtechguy @ Sep 16 2009, 06:16 PM) *

A BN2 from a Beetle or type3 would be a nice addition in a 914. The flow is sufficient to heat a type-3 Squareback in winter no problem. The only issue I see is what to do about fogging the front windows. . . Without the heat blowing on the windshield, they will fog badly.

Having it plumbed into the two air boxes on the bulkhead would enable you to either have the air up onto the screen or down to the footwell, so no probs with screen demsting...

QUOTE(r_towle @ Sep 16 2009, 06:17 PM) *

Rich

I have tried but the website is down, I'll have a more comprehensive search later. - I'm off to a 914 meet in 10 minutes smile.gif

SirAndy has a great picture of the installed unit that was available as an option back in the day for the 914...

Rich

I never realised they were a factory option on a 914....... Sirandy, please post that pic pray.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(Rod @ Sep 16 2009, 01:44 PM) *

QUOTE(aircooledtechguy @ Sep 16 2009, 06:16 PM) *

Having it plumbed into the two air boxes on the bulkhead would enable you to either have the air up onto the screen or down to the footwell, so no probs with screen demsting...

Rich

I have tried but the website is down, I'll have a more comprehensive search later. - I'm off to a 914 meet in 10 minutes smile.gif

Rich

I never realised they were a factory option on a 914....... Sirandy, please post that pic pray.gif

I never said factory....
they were an aftermarket option.

Rich
IronHillRestorations
Here's the pic Andy posted.
lotus_65
i didn't go for a cl "stewart warner" one for $60.00.

what's the market value?

(i'm reading further, this appears to be a dealer installable one.)
76-914
Has anyone here ever tried using one of these as a heat exchanger replacement?

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppa...rsheatmuffs.php

I used one on my plane and it was great. I think the EGT's between a Lycoming and our engines would be comparable. In lower Slobovia you might install 1 on each side. BTW you can make your own out of an old butane or mapp gas canister. I made one but opted for the lighter weight aluminum model. You can add some small chain or wire rope around the exhaust pipe then clamp the heater box over the chain. This adds mass and will somewhat compensate for temperature variations as a result of deviations in power settings. i.e. cruise vs. coasting. As far getting heat to the front fan unit, has anyone tried using a cheap 12v ceramic heater for this?
I see your in the UK. AC Spruce's rep in the UK is Pete Smoothy:
PO Box 1835, Winslow England MK18 3ZS

Winslow, MK18 3ZS UK

CONTACTS
Ph: (44) 01 296 714 900
Fax: 01 296 713 303
e mail: sales@airworlduk.com
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(76-914 @ Sep 16 2009, 10:10 PM) *

Has anyone here ever tried using one of these as a heat exchanger replacement?

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppa...rsheatmuffs.php

I used one on my plane and it was great. I think the EGT's between a Lycoming and our engines would be comparable. In lower Slobovia you might install 1 on each side. BTW you can make your own out of an old butane or mapp gas canister. I made one but opted for the lighter weight aluminum model. You can add some small chain or wire rope around the exhaust pipe then clamp the heater box over the chain. This adds mass and will somewhat compensate for temperature variations as a result of deviations in power settings. i.e. cruise vs. coasting. As far getting heat to the front fan unit, has anyone tried using a cheap 12v ceramic heater for this?
I see your in the UK. AC Spruce's rep in the UK is Pete Smoothy:
PO Box 1835, Winslow England MK18 3ZS

Winslow, MK18 3ZS UK

CONTACTS
Ph: (44) 01 296 714 900
Fax: 01 296 713 303
e mail: sales@airworlduk.com

Using those "heat muffs" for heat exchanger replacements is a great idea....... I have a pilot's license, and this never came to mind.... headbang.gif

As for the ceramic heater.. I used one for a while. It works, but the alternator on a 914/4 can't keep up with it and all the other electrical accessories. It was winter, and I had to plug in the battery charger every night to keep the battery up because of the heater.

Good heat though.

Challe
When I bought my 914 there was a Ebersprecher in the front of the passanger seat, fulel line and exhaust was drilled thru the floor. The unit was one more modern unit from the 80ies so it was far smaller then the one I have used in my VW bugs.

Click to view attachment

I only use the car in the summer an when the unit started to fail I toked it out
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.