Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gas tank is back in
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PanelBilly
I had the tank in place, but needed to paint the straps that hold it in place. Out it came again. I saw the thread about the new nut Dr had for the gas tank and thought hard about the old seals that I had used. I just couldn't put it togeather with the old seals and take a chance of a fire. Today the new parts arrive and its back togeather again.
Click to view attachment

Speaking of fires, we had one a month ago, The cloths dryer started smoking and I'm so lucky that my daughter and the grandkids got out of the house because a heat wave flashed through the building and basically destroyed everything. Trust me kids. I've always thought that if the house was on fire, I could run in and get stuff, but if anybody had been in the building when the flash when through the house they would have been fried on the spot. So if you have a fire, get the hell out and stay out. The carpet in this house is MELTED, not from the fire, but the heat wave that flew out from the fire in the laundry room. The flat screen tv on the other side of the house was melted too. Nearly everything was roasted.

Here's the laundry room
Click to view attachment
championgt1
Billy sorry to hear about the fire. Scary stuff!

Glad everyone is ok.
pete-stevers
Wow billy!! fire is a thing i am always cognitive of, My mothers placed had a fire a few years back, while they where out.
I am so glad every one was out!!!!!
kconway
So, where did you get new seals?
detoxcowboy
What nut and what seal?? I have had my tank out and replaced and refurbished and have put in new screen and sender unit re-fuelined etc. and have no idea what your talking about.. advise so i can be assured I did not miss something?? also why would you expect fire in the fuel tank area?? What would ignite it?? I smoke while changing the fuel filter, gas needs a hot spark..
kconway
QUOTE(detoxcowboy @ Sep 17 2009, 09:24 PM) *

What nut and what seal?? I have had my tank out and replaced and refurbished and have put in new screen and sender unit re-fuelined etc. and have no idea what your talking about.. advise so i can be assured I did not miss something?? also why would you expect fire in the fuel tank area?? What would ignite it?? I smoke while changing the fuel filter, gas needs a hot spark..

How did you replace the screen without removing that nut holding the screen/tube in on the bottom of the tank? Remove the nut, damage the seal you could have a fuel leak.
detoxcowboy
QUOTE(kconway @ Sep 17 2009, 10:53 PM) *

QUOTE(detoxcowboy @ Sep 17 2009, 09:24 PM) *

How did you replace the screen without removing that nut holding the screen/tube in on the bottom of the tank? Remove the nut, damage the seal you could have a fuel leak.

the washers beerchug.gif
6freak
I smoke while changing the fuel filter,

No one every said he was a brite boy blink.gif
aircooledtechguy
QUOTE(detoxcowboy @ Sep 17 2009, 10:24 PM) *

also why would you expect fire in the fuel tank area?? What would ignite it?? I smoke while changing the fuel filter, gas needs a hot spark..

I strongly disagree!! I almost caught my garage on fire while trying to take a photo (for an eBay ad) of a spare L-jet fuel pump pumping fuel. They are worth more when you have proof that they pump. . . The wire slightly sparked, the fumes flashed, the flash scared the sh*t out of me, I jerked away, fuel flew in all directions and before I knew it I had a 4 foot square of the garage floor on fire!! headbang.gif Luckily I had a nice big beach towel to smother the flames with close by. Garage saved no explanation needed for the insurance company smile.gif

I only mention this because gas needs a VERY slight spark to flash off. Diesel fuel, on the other hand, you can put out a cigarette in it.

Billy, I'm REALLY GLAD you are your family were not hurt in the fire!!
davesprinkle
QUOTE(kconway @ Sep 17 2009, 09:34 PM) *

So, where did you get new seals?

AA sells the seals (little fiber sealing rings), which are no longer available from the factory. (Thanks, George.)

However, you should be aware that one of the washers is slightly undersized. The OD of the seal is small enough that it can shift and possibly open a leak path. As a result, it might not seal properly when you reassemble the fitting. Whether you have this problem or not is largely random. Maybe? Maybe not?

I had to pull my tank a second time to replace the seal with one that I made myself. I cut a little donut out of some FLAPS gasket material. It's been leak-free for two years now.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.