Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Found two splices at the relay board
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scrz914
So as I reconstruct my FI system I'm finding all sorts of weirdness. I found splices at the relay board.
The first splice is from pin 1 (big yellow wire) from the main harness to pin 6 (other big yellow wire) on the connector from the engine. From what I"ve read, this wire has to do with the starter solenoid? Why would someone jump the relay board except maybe there's a bad relay? Then why not just buy a new relay.
The second splice is from the black/red (fuel pump?)wire on the main harness to the ground wire from the FI Harness (four prong connector to the relay board).

Whatever the problems were, would it be best to start trying new relays without the jumps? New relay board? I want to get this back to a '73 stock FI system. What are most common reasons to do these relay jumps?
ClayPerrine
The big yellow wire is for the starter. It just passes through the relay board, with some branches to feed fuel injection stuff. Disconnect the added jumper wire and see if it cranks. If it does, remove it. The DAPO was probably having a hot start problem and was using a shotgun diagnosis to fix it.

The fuel pump wiring change was probably done to accommodate carbs. The computer turns the fuel pump on in a D-Jet system. So if you eliminate the computer, then the fuel pump won't run. What you describe would activate the fuel pump when the key was on. If you are going back to stock FI, then just remove the DAPO change.

Good luck!
scrz914
Thanks Clay. That does make sense. I do believe that this car did have carbs at one time and that a PO threw together a patchwork of FI components.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.