Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Speedo works, Odo doesn't
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
VaccaRabite
My speedometer works, my odometer does not.

Did I forget to plug something in? I thought it was driven off the speedo cable. Is the gauge just broke?

Went on a 60 mile drive tonight (to class and back again). At the start of the trip the odo ended in 60 and the trip counter was at 0000. At the end of the drive nothing had changed.

Zach
Joe Owensby
Common problem. A search should turn up detailed instructions on how to fix. You basically take off the metal rim holding the glass on the face of the instrument. this allows access to the innards. Pull the inside mechanism out, and you can see the gear that turns the odometer segments. It is basically just a press fit on the shaft. After some time, the gear just slips on the shaft. On mine, I removed the shaft and used some cutting pliers to knurl the area where the gear fits. Then, with a little epoxy, I reinstalled the gear on the shaft. Then reassemble. JoeO
jasons
I believe there is a "how to" article on pelican.
Dr Evil
We can fix it. I have spare parts and have done this many times before.
Todd Enlund
And if you want to get ambitious while you're in there...

Click to view attachment
lotus_65
it's from resetting the trip odometer while the car is in motion. it dislodges the drive gear from its mounting to the shaft.

the pelican article talks about deforming the gear to make pressure points to hold the two together, which makes no sense to me at all.

knurl the shaft for a solid repair (assuming you reset the trip meter while stopped from now on!)

here's one of the 2 recent threads regarding this repair:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...c=97902&hl=
stephenaki
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Sep 30 2009, 08:24 PM) *

My speedometer works, my odometer does not.

Did I forget to plug something in? I thought it was driven off the speedo cable. Is the gauge just broke?

Went on a 60 mile drive tonight (to class and back again). At the start of the trip the odo ended in 60 and the trip counter was at 0000. At the end of the drive nothing had changed.

Zach

I'm in the same boat but figured I'd do a search on it later; saw your thread and decided to see if it was the same symptoms. Thanks for posting the question, looks like I'll be doing some repair work once I get the motor back in the car.
plas76targa
Zach - my odometer doesn't work either. Guess they're drunk.gif buddies.
Dr Evil
I can fix yours too, Matt rolleyes.gif
gopack
I followed the pelican Parts article, and it was an easy fix! Cleaned up the inside of the glass, and the face of the speedo as long as i was in there! IF'n I can do it, YOU'S can do it!
zonedoubt
QUOTE(lotus_65 @ Oct 1 2009, 02:20 AM) *

the pelican article talks about deforming the gear to make pressure points to hold the two together, which makes no sense to me at all.

Makes sense to me and worked for my odometer problem. It's a press fit part. Putting a couple dimples on the gear increases the interference of the press fit.
kenshapiro2002
Just did mine a few weeks ago. Getting the gauge face off was the toughest part. The odometer works now, but the speedo needle bounces around now (didn't do that before). Doing 60 MPH, the needle bounces between 55 and 65 for example. Hoping it will "heal" itself.
zonedoubt
Speedo cable issue?
kenshapiro2002
It was OK before I went in there. Best lube to use?

QUOTE(zonedoubt @ Oct 1 2009, 05:40 PM) *

Speedo cable issue?

Dr Evil
If needles are bouncy, white lithium grease is probably a good bet to dampen them.
'73-914kid
What would you put the litium gease on exactly doc? I just pulled mine apart and to fix the ODO problem (insurance company) anf the needle always used to bounce around before that.. I know the speedo cable is going, but at least make it an easy death without a jumpy needle, some grease would be nice..
lotus_65
well, maybe i should have said it doesn't sound like a permanent fix. mating grooved surfaces sounds more secure.

QUOTE(zonedoubt @ Oct 1 2009, 12:58 PM) *

QUOTE(lotus_65 @ Oct 1 2009, 02:20 AM) *

Makes sense to me and worked for my odometer problem. It's a press fit part. Putting a couple dimples on the gear increases the interference of the press fit.

Ken, did you cross thread the cable maybe?
QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Oct 1 2009, 04:07 PM) *

Just did mine a few weeks ago. Getting the gauge face off was the toughest part. The odometer works now, but the speedo needle bounces around now (didn't do that before). Doing 60 MPH, the needle bounces between 55 and 65 for example. Hoping it will "heal" itself.
Jerry75914
As mentioned above, there is a great how-to on the Pelican site. I just did it myself a couple of weeks ago, not very hard at all, just get a tall cold brew and take your time beer.gif

I went with deforming the pot metal gear with a pair of pliers...been working perfectly ever since. Good luck!
Spoke
Same thing happened to my 911. Side benefit is I haven't gone over my 5000 miles per year as per my insurance...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.